• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Just based on first names and prior experience, I would prefer Peyton over Skylar.

Isn't this model thriving compared to where it was 10 years ago?

Which model? Is anybody paying for premium information anymore? 10 years ago, you needed a Rivals or Scout subscription to see videos of recruits and any type of interview. Now you just need YouTube and Twitter.

I could be wrong, but I believe Deac94 gets a decent amount of his information from Rivals/247/Scout. I know he can get a lot of information just from Twitter though.

Well subscriptions are way up in addition to more services. Yahoo bought Rivals within the last 5 years for like $100 million.

Tre Harbison with very positive comments about Wake in a Rivals article. It is always a good sign when a recruit is asked about schools that he is considering and immediately starts talking Wake Forest. Still too early to start getting hopeful about commits though.

Jamie is the real deal. He played at a smaller school (3 single A) I believe, so some of his film is useless, but my son camped with him over the summer. Big guy, with a cannon.

LC Bird QB Jalen Elliott (@Its_jalen3) picked up an offer from Wake Forest today @VNewsSports

Moe Neal with very positive comments about Wake in the latest Rivals article. You can tell that the mutual interest between Neal and the staff is really high. He and Tre Harbison are the two 2016 recruits that seem to have the most interest in Wake right now. Note that they are different types of players and would not be overlap at all in my opinion. I suspect that the staff is considering Harbison for more of a lead back role and Neal as a slot-type player. A guy that you would try to get the ball to in space. A versatile playmaker type. Right now I have Neal on my WR board. Profiles for both are on post #3 in this thread.

Moe Neal seems very similar to Ronnie Moore who played for Clawson last year as a true frosh. He had 14 carries, 28 catches and 7 rec TDs. Lined up in the backfield and slot.

Real question. ... How much are we going to have to drink before the game to watch what's on the field tomorrow? I know the defense will show up, but what will we do on offense?

Only one 2016 visitor yesterday that has a Wake offer. RB/S Reggie Floyd (Manassas, VA) has offers from Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, UNC and West Virginia. His sister is a freshman on the women's basketball. I think that he is really interested in Wake Forest, but has begun to acknowledge that Virginia Tech is the early leader. The offer from Wake Forest was as a RB. He is a guy that I should have added to the Big Board at the beginning of the thread.

None of the other names that I came across have any D-1 offers at this very early point in the process. OL Robert Snead (Chester, VA) and WR Teryn Savage (Raleigh, NC) were two players in attendance that have Rivals profiles.

Its worth noting that most of the top targets for 2016 have already visited. Now I'm hoping that a few come back for a second visit.

Someone on the other thread noted that it may hurt us having recruits at the game. I agree that there are drawbacks. Attendance appears to be down. The crowd has a difficult time getting into the game. A lot of people left yesterday before the comeback started. And the on-field product is obviously really bad at times. However, the opportunity for recruiting contact before and after these games might be the best that the staff get before they host Junior Day in late-Feb, early-March. So I view it as an important part of the process.

I get that winning is the best tool to help recruiting, so losing a game on a recruit visit doesn't help. However, at least our staff has a tangible history of turning programs around. They can point to multiple instances where they came in and had poor results the first year as part of the building process. Once they got their own recruits in, they won. They are selling early playing time as part of an already "proven" system. The recruits coming in now will see the rewards and results as underclassmen based on track record. So, I don't think losing has to be as much of a negative as it would be for an established staff. Now is a special window of opportunity for early pt and being a part of building the program. That will resonate with some as long as our staff stays confident and energetic.

More North Carolina-flavor in the two newest offers: East Forsyth 2017 DB Madison Cone and Southwest Guilford 2016 WR Jeremiah Brown. Both are aggressive offers from the standpoint that their offer sheets are much shorter than most of the players offered so far in this class. Brown has an Old Dominion offer. Cone has a Virginia Tech offer.

Last edited:
Recruits will think they are at a Clemson home game as visitors will outnumber us 3 or 4:1.

Somebody was hyping up Cone over the last few weeks.

I added four WRs to Big Board (found at post #3 in the thread) based on articles, offers and visits over the past 3 weeks. Denmark and Powell are moved up from the Watch List. Denmark had been on the watch list because he didn’t have an offer from Wake. That changed when he was offered while visiting for the Syracuse game.Even though Powell visited Wake Forest in September, I hadn’t added him to the Big Board because his offer sheet was so stacked. He gets added to the Big Board now because he (surprisingly) included Wake in his very preliminary top 4.

I don’t particularly like Wake chances with Elliott (I think Virginia Tech is the favorite), Denmark (Virginia Tech is the favorite, as well as Clemson if they offer) and Powell (stacked offer sheet) but I felt that they all warranted inclusion at this point. The fourth WR on the list, High Point’s Jeremiah Brown, is an early offer in a recruitment that has a long ways to go.

It is also interesting to me that there has been a flurry of activity at the WR position for 2016 despite the fact that we are taking a lot of WRs in 2015 and are considering using 2 TEs as a base offense.

Jalen Elliott (6’1 / 175 ATH) L.C. Bird HS / Chesterfield, VA
Rating: 3-star
Power 5 Offers: Wake Forest and Virginia Tech
Visits: Wake Forest on October 18 for Syracuse game (Wake offered him in-person). Virginia Tech is August for the VT-William and Mary game. Tennessee (no offer) on October 25. UNC (no offer) on October 4th for the UNC-Virginia Tech game. Camped this summer at Virginia Tech, Virginia, Duke, UNC and Tennessee. He plans to head back to Virginia Tech for the VT-UVA game.
Background: Classified as an ATH, Elliott is currently playing both QB and CB at the high school level but will likely play either WR or DB at the next level. Wake Forest offered him as a WR. Virginia Tech offered him as a DB. UNC is considering offering him as either a WR or an ATH. Both parents are Virginia Tech graduates, and he has already had extensive exposure to Virginia Tech.
Outlook: Virginia Tech is going to be tough to beat for Elliott.

Samuel Denmark (6’0 / 177 WR) Hanahan HS / Hanahan, SC
Rating: Unrated
Power 5 Offers: Wake Forest and Virginia Tech
Visits: Clemson in September for the Clemson-UNC game. Also camped at Clemson this summer along with camps at South Carolina and NC State. Visited Notre Dame in September for a game. Plans to visit Virginia Tech November 1st, Purdue on November 8th, Duke on November 15th and East Carolina on November 22nd. Visited Wake in October (he received his offer during the visit).
Background: Had 900 yards and 10 touchdowns as a sophomore. Track star. Finished 2nd in the state at the 3A level in the 100m and 3rd in the 200m. He claims that is 40-time is 4.44. Was a South Carolina fan growing up.
Recruitment: Based on quotes that I read from November, it looks like both Clemson (no offer) and Virginia Tech are leading Wake Forest right now. It is not yet clear how much interest Notre Dame has. There is a Hanahan graduate currently playing WR at Notre Dame, so Denmark already has a connection there.

Cornell Powell (6’1 / 190) Rose HS / Greenville, NC
Rating: 3-star / #45 WR in the country / #11 overall player in North Carolina (4-star on 247)
Power 5 Offers: Wake Forest, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, North Carolina, NC State, Ohio State and South Carolina, Florida State (?), Duke, LSU (?)
Visits: Visited Wake Forest in late-September. He said that Wake’s campus was “amazing” and said that he was really impressed with the business school. Clemson on October 4th for the Clemson-NC State game. Only attended camps at UNC and Clemson this year. He has also visited Duke and NC State this fall.
Background: Had 1,200 yards and 21 touchdowns (!!) receiving as a sophomore. Already has 875 receiving yards and 12 receiving touchdowns as a junior despite facing near-constant double teams. Rivals ranked him as the top underclassman performer at the Fedora Freak Show camp over the summer. Wants to study business. Was an Alabama fan growing up.
Recruitment: Has a very early top 4 of Clemson, UNC, NC State and Wake Forest. Ole Miss was actually the first to offer. In different interviews during October he has mentioned some combination of Clemson, Florida State (no offer), UNC, Ohio State, N.C. State, Ole Miss and West Virginia as the schools that are recruiting him the hardest right now. Clemson’s WR coach flew to Greenville, NC to watch one of Powell’s games, which was reportedly the first 2016 WR that he gone to see in person. Urban Meyer personally extended the Ohio State offer.
Outlook: I think this is a very open recruitment right now, but I think Clemson and UNC have to regarded as early favorites. Hometown ECU is an interesting darkhorse in the race. I think that he is looking for a good academic school, but I am guessing that it will ultimately be a secondary factor in his decision-making.

Jeremiah Brown (6’2 / 170 WR) – Southwest Guilford HS / High Point, NC
Power 5 Offers: Wake Forest
Visits: Camped at UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest and Clemson this past summer. Visited Wake Forest for the Wake Forest -Army game. Visited UNC for the UNC-SDSU game in September. He plans to return to Chapel Hill for a game later this year, and will also try to visit NC State.
Recruitment: He said in late September that UNC (no offer) was recruiting him the hardest. This recruitment feels like it is still in the very early stages. We will have to wait and see whether UNC and NC State decide to offer.

Last edited:
In '16, we'll have 4 senior WRs and 5 senior OLs. These recruits will be coming off red shirts filling the void when the seniors leave. We'll take a QB and RB, and we'll need two CBs. The old staff would have real shortages at positions (RB recently, Safety in the past) that caused positions switches that rarely worked out.

One OL to add to the Big Board. I don’t have much info because there are no articles about him on Rivals, Scout or 247 and, even worse, he is not on Twitter. So this is going to be a tough one for me to keep an eye on.
The offer was announced via his high school team’s Twitter account. It is a reminder that the Wake staff remains active in the Jacksonville area.

Je’Vionte Nash (6’3 / 270 OG) – Oakleaf HS / Orange Park, FL
Power 5 Offers: Wake Forest

Last edited:
Back