• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hearthstone Thread FTMFW - 4/7 Ashes of Outland release - New Demon Hunter class!

A well played Loatheb is essentially an Ice Block. He gives you another turn to seal the deal.

This stuff is so complicated.

I didn't know about the Naxx stuff, so I spent my $19.99 on 15 Packs.

It's hard keeping track of cards. How can you tell which are legendary? Is it the gems? (ETA: Nevermind figured that one out)

Also, I have like 175 Arcane Dust....should I be crafting cards? I don't get how that works other than you use that to create cards.

Last edited:
Quick rundown of my collection so far...anything that anyone notices or tips to provide are definitely welcome.

Rare:
Druid: Bite, Nourish, Starfall
Hunter: Eaglehorn Bow
Priest: Mass Dispel, Holy Fire
Rogue: Headcrack
Warlock: Felguard, Void Terror, Siphon Soul
Warrior: Commanding Shout
Neutral: Angry Chicken, Secretkeeper, Ancient Watcher, Sunfury Protector, Demolisher, Imp Master, Injured Blademaster, Questing Adventurer, Defender of Argus, Gadgetzan Auctioneer, Argent Commander,
Epic:
Hunter: Gladiator's Longbow, Ice Block
Shaman: Far Sight
Legendary:
None

Also, can someone explain to me why some cards actually do damage to yourself or hinder your playing?

Why would you play a card that makes everything cost more (unless it applies to you and the other person?)

Also, can someone explain to me why some cards actually do damage to yourself or hinder your playing?

Why would you play a card that makes everything cost more (unless it applies to you and the other person?)

Can you give an example card? Usually there is some benefit to playing a card like that (ie they're slightly more powerful vs other equal cost cards, etc)..

This stuff is so complicated.

Also, I have like 175 Arcane Dust....should I be crafting cards? I don't get how that works other than you use that to create cards.

You will get extra cards or cards that you don't want and you create dust with them. Commons dust for 5, rares for 20, epics for 100, legendary for 400. Then you can craft cards you need. Commons will cost 40, rares 100, epics 400 and legendary 1600.

I would wait a bit to craft until you open some more packs. You will start to figure out which you really need or you can save up for a versatile legendary that is good with lots of decks.

Cards that have some sort of negative effect will either be bigger minions or cheaper. You just have to weigh the cost/benefit. Sometimes you can silence the negative effect and create value. Sometimes they are just shitty cards.

Can you give an example card? Usually there is some benefit to playing a card like that (ie they're slightly more powerful vs other equal cost cards, etc)..

Injured Blademaster (4/7, deals 4 damage to himself) and Venture Co. Mercenary (7/6, Minions cost 3 more) are the only 2 I have right now, but I've seen others that I can't remember.

I was trying to play as different heroes in the Expert practice rounds. I've played Expert Mage at least a dozen times and can't win.

Every time I get a good board, they negate everything.

Injured Blademaster (4/7, deals 4 damage to himself) and Venture Co. Mercenary (7/6, Minions cost 3 more) are the only 2 I have right now, but I've seen others that I can't remember.

Those are cards you use as combos with other cards that compliment. For example - the Injured Blademaster can be used (if you're a shaman) with Ancestral Healing to get you a 4/7 minion, with taunt ... for a total of 3 mana. That's awesome. Or if you have cards that benefit from another minion being damaged (say ... Frothing Bezerker) ... you can play the bezerker for 3 mana, and then the Blademaster for 3 more mana, he self damages and then the Bezerker get +2 attack. Now you've got 2 minions, a 4/4 and another 4/3 (who can be healed to 7) for just 6 mana.

It's the combination of abilities like that which gives Hearthstone it's strategic depth.

Watch streamers.
When you start a game, you want to mulligan to have a good selection of cards to play on your 1,2,3,4 mana turns.
Board control is usually more important than damage to the opponents face.
Some of it is knowing the opponent's champ to know what cards they might be able to play next turn to avoid wasting a card (i.e. a mage at 7 mana is likely to flamestrike, so don't empty your hand of your <4 health minions)

I've been watching streamers, but they play too fast. They don't explain anything and they just ramble off names/cards/spells.

I can't keep up. But am getting better.

(Sorry to keep bumping this with useless posts.)

Those are cards you use as combos with other cards that compliment. For example - the Injured Blademaster can be used (if you're a shaman) with Ancestral Healing to get you a 4/7 minion, with taunt ... for a total of 3 mana. That's awesome. Or if you have cards that benefit from another minion being damaged (say ... Frothing Bezerker) ... you can play the bezerker for 3 mana, and then the Blademaster for 3 more mana, he self damages and then the Bezerker get +2 attack. Now you've got 2 minions, a 4/4 and another 4/3 (who can be healed to 7) for just 6 mana.

It's the combination of abilities like that which gives Hearthstone it's strategic depth.

Yea that's what is taking me so long to pick up.

Though I have had a great few rounds today with Druid.

I just got 12 wins in arena with an OP druid deck. 3 innervates, 4 Druid of the claw, 3 wrath, 2 chillwind yeti, 1 ancient of lore. I had turn 1 or 2 yeti/druid of the claw in at least half my games, which is almost gg right there. Very lucky draft. Unfortunately only got gold equivalent of about 4 packs and some dust and only 2 rares and 1 epic (patient assassin) that I didn't have already. I have spent about $100 though because I feel like it's the only way to have a chance at constructed now that the game has been out a while and everyone already has lots of good cards (unless you want to spend 3+ months grinding your dailies in casual mode, ugh). Naxx for $20 is the best value buy by far if you are just getting into the game and willing to spend a bit on it. I still only have 2 legendaries--Ysera and Jaraxxus. Also 'Zoo' warlock is the most effective cheap deck I've heard.

All of the different deck nicknames also take a while to pick up.

I always made fun of my brother for his weird online MMORPG game addiction and for him just sitting and watching streamers play for hours, but have pretty much been doing that all day. Streamers on one monitor, Hearthstone on the other.

Just bought 15 packs. Results below.

(18 Rare, 3 Epic, 1 Legendary)
R Abomination
R Aldor Peacekeeper
R Aldor Peacekeeper
R Angry Chicken
C Arathi Weaponsmith
C Argent Protector
C Argent Squire
C Battle Rage
R Bite
C Blessing Of Wisdom
C Blood Imp
C Bloodsail Raider
C Circle of Healing
C Conceal
C Cruel Taskmaster
C Cruel Taskmaster
C Deadly Shot
C Deadly Shot
L Deathwing
R Demolisher
R Demolisher
C Demonfire
R Doomguard
E Doomsayer
R Equality
R Explosive Shot
C Fen Creeper
C Fen Creeper
C Forked Lightning
C Frost Elemental
C Harvest Golem
R Holy Wrath
C Ice Barrier
C Ice Barrier
C Inner Rage
C Lightning Bolt
C Lightning Bolt
C Mad Bomber
C Mana Wyrm
C Mana Wyrm
R Master of Disguise
E Mindgames
C Mirror Entity
R Pint-Sized Summoner
E Pit Lord
C Power of the Wild
C Raging Worgen
C Raging Worgen
C Rampage
R Ravenholdt Assassin
C Redemption
C Repentance
C Scavenging Hyena
C Sense Demons
C Shadowstep
C Shieldbearer
C Silence
R Siphon Soul
C Sorcerer's Apprentice
C Southsea Deckhand
C Spellbreaker
C Spiteful Smith
C Stormforged Axe
C Summoning Portal
C Summoning Portal
R Sunfury Protector
R Sunwalker
C Tauren Warrior
C Thoughtsteal
R Vaporize
C Venture Co. Mercenary
C Wisp
C Worgen Infiltrator
C Wrath
C Youthful Brewmaster

Don't craft commons or rares. I've only crafted two legendaries and got all the commons from arena packs.

I have 840 Dust at the moment. Figuring out how to build decks little by little.

Are the quests random and based on your level?

The quests are random. You can reroll one of them a day by hitting the red X in top right hand corner of the quest.

The best quest is win 7 games in any mode (includes practice) for 100 coins. After that, I try to roll any of the win 2 games with a class, get 40 coins, as that is the best return per win.

Slim, what streams do you watch? I've watched some tournaments and streams from Willie Dills, one of hosts of Angry Chicken show. Any recs from others?

Back