• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hearthstone Thread FTMFW - 4/7 Ashes of Outland release - New Demon Hunter class!

Lots of people hitting legend in quarantine.

Add me to the list!

IwjIeFC.png

juVqdwg.png

YosOW77.png

It's shocking to see how less popular Wild still is - I thought it had been gaining steam recently (I know it is in China).

What a relief. I've never made the Legend push, but I knew I had to go for it with the ladder rework, increased rewards, and after hitting Dad Legend on the first day.

I tried really hard several nights at the beginning of the month (sequestering myself from distractions, playing 3-4 hour chunks), but I never got farther than Rank 1, 2 Stars. I slid back to rank 4 a few times, too. Eventually, I decided not to worry about it until after the nerfs/later in the month when it might be easier. I went back to playing once or twice a day for no longer than an hour.

When I logged on this afternoon, it was just to complete my daily quests...but I went 4-0 and finally did the damn thing. I made quick work of 2x Quest Mage, a Pirate Warrior, and a Discardlock. Here's the list I've been running since the most recent nerfs.

### Even Steven
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Totemic Might
# 2x (0) Totemic Surge
# 2x (2) Crackle
# 2x (2) Devolve
# 2x (2) EVIL Totem
# 2x (2) Maelstrom Portal
# 2x (2) Murkspark Eel
# 2x (2) Totem Golem
# 2x (4) Draenei Totemcarver
# 1x (4) Eater of Secrets
# 1x (4) Flamewreathed Faceless
# 1x (4) Hex
# 2x (4) Splitting Axe
# 1x (4) Vessina
# 1x (6) Genn Greymane
# 1x (6) The Storm Bringer
# 2x (6) Thing from Below
# 2x (10) Sea Giant
#
AAEBAZnDAwb+BfeqAoivAs30AqH4AualAwzTAb4G1g+yFLUU+6oCoLYC9r0ClO8CnaMD2qUD+aUDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Nice! I've done legend 3 times now and -every- time I've hit about 2 wins from legend and crashed down multiple ranks because I had decided I was going to play a certain number of hours and make it in that session. I always recover by playing shorter sessions, taking breaks after losses or even win streaks to break things up. The other big thing to avoid is switching decks -- if your deck was good enough to get you there, it's good enough to get across the finish line. When I switch, it contributes to the backwards slide.

I thought about going for some Wild this month to get my golden mage and shaman, but I think what makes it hard for me is the existence of certain degenerate decks that I cannot stand playing or playing against. Raza Priest is a great example right now, Rez priest an example from past seasons.

What a relief. I've never made the Legend push, but I knew I had to go for it with the ladder rework, increased rewards, and after hitting Dad Legend on the first day.

I tried really hard several nights at the beginning of the month (sequestering myself from distractions, playing 3-4 hour chunks), but I never got farther than Rank 1, 2 Stars. I slid back to rank 4 a few times, too. Eventually, I decided not to worry about it until after the nerfs/later in the month when it might be easier. I went back to playing once or twice a day for no longer than an hour.

When I logged on this afternoon, it was just to complete my daily quests...but I went 4-0 and finally did the damn thing. I made quick work of 2x Quest Mage, a Pirate Warrior, and a Discardlock. Here's the list I've been running since the most recent nerfs.

### Even Steven
# Class: Shaman
#
# 2x (0) Totemic Might
# 2x (0) Totemic Surge
# 2x (2) Crackle
# 2x (2) Devolve
# 2x (2) EVIL Totem
# 2x (2) Maelstrom Portal
# 2x (2) Murkspark Eel
# 2x (2) Totem Golem
# 2x (4) Draenei Totemcarver
# 1x (4) Eater of Secrets
# 1x (4) Flamewreathed Faceless
# 1x (4) Hex
# 2x (4) Splitting Axe
# 1x (4) Vessina
# 1x (6) Genn Greymane
# 1x (6) The Storm Bringer
# 2x (6) Thing from Below
# 2x (10) Sea Giant
#
AAEBAZnDAwb+BfeqAoivAs30AqH4AualAwzTAb4G1g+yFLUU+6oCoLYC9r0ClO8CnaMD2qUD+aUDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

That’s pretty awesome. I’m 21-6 in my last 27 arena matches but am so far out of the loop in the constructed meta that I think I’d just get wiped for a while. Plus I’m about 4 years behind in terms of cards now.

Nice! I've done legend 3 times now and -every- time I've hit about 2 wins from legend and crashed down multiple ranks because I had decided I was going to play a certain number of hours and make it in that session. I always recover by playing shorter sessions, taking breaks after losses or even win streaks to break things up. The other big thing to avoid is switching decks -- if your deck was good enough to get you there, it's good enough to get across the finish line. When I switch, it contributes to the backwards slide.

I thought about going for some Wild this month to get my golden mage and shaman, but I think what makes it hard for me is the existence of certain degenerate decks that I cannot stand playing or playing against. Raza Priest is a great example right now, Rez priest an example from past seasons.

You speak the truth about switching decks. I would get tilted and switch to super-aggressive Discolock or Secret Mage, and even though it shortened my games, I played more carelessly and racked up losses more quickly, too.

I made the vast majority of my climb (and the final push) with Even Shaman because you have a shot in almost every matchup. I despise Quest Mage and every Warlock deck that cheats out minions (I was tech-ing 2x Hex before I switched one out for Eater of Secrets), but I could steal wins with good tactics and a decent draw.

Now I'm playing Odd Control Warrior because fuck everyone with an aggro deck ! :thumbsup:

That’s pretty awesome. I’m 21-6 in my last 27 arena matches but am so far out of the loop in the constructed meta that I think I’d just get wiped for a while. Plus I’m about 4 years behind in terms of cards now.

Dude that's awesome! Is Demon Hunter still good after the nerfs/drafting tweaks?

Yeah following up on the last post, I have what I think is my first 7-0 start now a couple more games in from my last post with a mage deck. No legends but 3x Arcane Amplifier I’ve found to just be devastating with this deck.

And I haven’t checked win rates yet. You see fewer actually when you get out to 6-8 wins than you were two weeks ago. I’d say priest & shaman I’ve seen the most at that point but that might just be anecdotal.

You speak the truth about switching decks. I would get tilted and switch to super-aggressive Discolock or Secret Mage, and even though it shortened my games, I played more carelessly and racked up losses more quickly, too.

I made the vast majority of my climb (and the final push) with Even Shaman because you have a shot in almost every matchup. I despise Quest Mage and every Warlock deck that cheats out minions (I was tech-ing 2x Hex before I switched one out for Eater of Secrets), but I could steal wins with good tactics and a decent draw.

Now I'm playing Odd Control Warrior because fuck everyone with an aggro deck ! :thumbsup:

Dude that's awesome! Is Demon Hunter still good after the nerfs/drafting tweaks?

I think DH is still OP honestly. I'd be interested to see the percentage of matches it wins after the nerfs. I've been playing a revised resurrect Priest lately and I'm happy to take it up against anything but DH. If I see I'm matched up against a DH I don't even bother. I just concede and move on.

I feel like when I play my DH deck I can play aggro or tempo and beat a LOT of other decks.

If you want to get away from Demon Hunter, check out this week's Tavern Brawl.

I have the feeling this is a test for their future 'Block Constructed' format.

PS - I made a Reno Dragon Hunter that was a blast.

### Brawl Deck
# Class: Hunter
#
# 1x (1) Dwarven Sharpshooter
# 1x (1) Toxic Reinforcements
# 1x (1) Webspinner
# 1x (2) Cat Trick
# 1x (2) Corrosive Breath
# 1x (2) Dart Trap
# 1x (2) Dragon Breeder
# 1x (2) Kindly Grandmother
# 1x (2) Mad Scientist
# 1x (2) Netherspite Historian
# 1x (2) Quick Shot
# 1x (2) Tasty Flyfish
# 1x (3) Blackwing Technician
# 1x (3) Primordial Explorer
# 1x (3) Scalerider
# 1x (4) Evasive Feywing
# 1x (4) Frizz Kindleroost
# 1x (5) Big Ol' Whelp
# 1x (5) Blackwing Corruptor
# 1x (5) Cobalt Spellkin
# 1x (5) Rotnest Drake
# 1x (6) Book Wyrm
# 1x (6) Evasive Wyrm
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Utgarde Grapplesniper
# 1x (6) Veranus
# 1x (7) Evasive Drakonid
# 1x (8) Twin Tyrant
# 1x (9) Dragonqueen Alexstrasza
# 1x (9) Nefarian
#
AAEBAR8e9w3EDtQR1RHoEukSwxbNFvixAqqyArm0AoK1AoqtA5etA7CtA6ivA/yvA/6vA4WwA4iwA+ewA/ywA/+wA4GxA4OxA4WxA4exA5GxA9iyA6+3AwAA
#

I think DH is still OP honestly. I'd be interested to see the percentage of matches it wins after the nerfs. I've been playing a revised resurrect Priest lately and I'm happy to take it up against anything but DH. If I see I'm matched up against a DH I don't even bother. I just concede and move on.

I feel like when I play my DH deck I can play aggro or tempo and beat a LOT of other decks.

Demon Hunter's biggest issue is their INSANE card draw coupled with the minion that does one to all enemies for each card you play. I think that particular card should be nerfed to do one damage to EVERYONE except yourself.

I haven't played much ladder lately, mostly sticking to battlegrounds. Getting an early Kalecgos is eerily satisfying. I just won a game where I got reduced to one health right after I got my Kalecgos and battled my way back to a first place finish.

What's everyone's favorite hero these days?

I think mine might be Pyramad. If I can get an early 1/2 mech or murloc, I can usually ride it to a top 3 finish.

Is anyone else playing BG with just 2 hero choices? I'm pretty proud of myself as I climbed from 4k to 6k with just 2 choices.

I am really bad at BGs in this current meta. I have finished last way more times than I did before dragons and cobalt was removed.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but the hardest stage in BGs seems to be when you hit level 3/4 and you roll absolutely nothing synergistic. Do you just take straight stats? Do you keep rolling to find something? Do you level?

I just start to feel a sense of dread with each reroll and the thought of taking 10+ damage in my next fight sets in.

Screenshot_20200609-172801_Hearthstone.jpg

Achievement unlocked: Won a game of battlegrounds without taking any damage.

I wasn't quick enough to screen shot the victory screen. I think I had a few ties along the way but it was fun considering I only got one Megasaur and that was for health.

What do you guys think about the battlegrounds update? I like that each game has different tribes in it. I think that will keep it fresh. I don't feel like pirates are super powerful though.

I stopped playing Battlegrounds once it became P2W, so I’ve been out of the game for several months. I do want to come back though, but I figured that would be whenever the Beta ends (has that happened?) and/or everyone’s MMR resets.

I go through cycles focusing on specific game modes (ladder, arena, single player content, BG), and since lockdown it’s been mostly ladder and the legend push. And even though I theoretically have more free-time WFH, I’ve ended up diversifying my hobbies. Lots of reading, board games, and time with the kids.

I stopped playing Battlegrounds once it became P2W, so I’ve been out of the game for several months. I do want to come back though, but I figured that would be whenever the Beta ends (has that happened?) and/or everyone’s MMR resets.

I go through cycles focusing on specific game modes (ladder, arena, single player content, BG), and since lockdown it’s been mostly ladder and the legend push. And even though I theoretically have more free-time WFH, I’ve ended up diversifying my hobbies. Lots of reading, board games, and time with the kids.

Mine tends to be how I'm faring in any given game mode. I was at 7k mmr and tilted all the way down to about 5.5k so I took a break and did ladder for a while. When I can't win a game on ladder, I go back to battlegrounds.

That's essentially my MO as well.

With the pirate release, I've been playing some battlegrounds again though. I like the rotating classes in each game concept. It should create a lot of different sub-metas where the rock to a given scissors isn't in that game.

List of all Demon Hunter nerfs since release (so far):

4/9 patch

• ⁠Skull of Gul'dan - Now costs 6 mana, up from 5.
• ⁠Imprisoned Antaen - Now costs 6 mana, up from 5.
• ⁠Eye Beam - Outcast cost now 1 mana, up from 0.
• ⁠Aldrachi Warblades - Durability decreased from 3 to 2.

4/20 patch

• ⁠Altruis the Outcast - Now costs 4 mana, up from 3. Attack increased from 3 to 4.
• ⁠Battlefiend - Attack reduced from 2 to 1.
• ⁠Glaivebound Adept - Attack reduced from 7 to 6.

5/18 patch

• ⁠Priestess of Fury - Health reduced from 7 to 5.
• ⁠Crimson Sigil Runner - Attack reduced from 2 to 1.

6/18 patch

• ⁠Twin Slice - Now costs 1 mana, up from 0. Now reads: Give your hero +2 Attack this turn. Add 'Second Slice' to your hand. (Second Slice - Now costs 1 mana, up from 0. Now reads: Give your hero +2 Attack this turn.)

7/14 patch

• ⁠Metamorphosis - Now deals 4 damage after each use, down from 5.
• ⁠Kayn Sunfury - Health reduced from 5 to 4.
• ⁠Warglaives of Azzinoth - Now costs 6 mana, up from 5.

I know that balancing a game like Hearthstone is hard. But that's a lot of nerfs to something new.

Also, wild players would argue that the Twin Slice change is not a nerf.

Back