• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hearthstone Thread FTMFW - 4/7 Ashes of Outland release - New Demon Hunter class!

I've played A LOT of battlegrounds lately so here are my tips.

For your first minion, grab alley cat or the murloc that summons a 1/1 murloc if you can. The reason is that you are not going to keep either late game but you get two minions to trade in instead of just 1. The vulgar humunculous is also good at surviving the first few rounds even if you don't go full demon.

There are very few reasons not to upgrade your tavern turn 2. The only exception is if you have a useful hero power (like gallywix) and a minion that would get you a double.

Pick a theme but don't be afraid to shift. I started out full demon but switched to beasts around turn 4 or 5 because I got offered some really good beasts.

Pay attention to what your opponents are doing. I realized early on in a game that 4 different people were collecting demons so I abandoned that and went full mech instead. The top 5 were me and 4 people running demons. I won easily because they kept keeping good minions from each other.

No matter your theme, grab an amalgamation. Try to get it with divine shield, taunt, and poison and buff it up when you can.

It is VERY hard to be good with murlocs and I've only ever lost one game to a full murloc board.

Just because you are full one type (mechs for example), don't be afraid to grab a good multiattack minion like a cave hydra. I've won games with a full mech board plus a really large mech hydra.

Beast and Mech decks are the best. Demons are slightly below it. Murlocs are bottom tier. Murlocs are good early game but there's just 0 late game synergy. The only time I lost to a board full of murlocs is when they all got divine shield / poison.

Don't forget to buy buffs. You don't just want good minions. Buff minions essentially cost 2 because you buy for 3 and sell for 1.

Pay attention to your next opponent when deciding whether to upgrade your tavern or not. If you are fighting a defeated opponent, you're probably safe upgrading.

I would argue that you're underrating murlocs slightly in the late game. It's hard to pull off, but the best late game strategy is divine shield poisonous murlocs. It beats everything.

Unfortunately, it's also really hard to set up because you have to get a few megasaurs. I've done it a few times, but there's a fine line after winning the early game where you try to transition into that late game build. Everyone else is setting up ridiculous mech and beast boards and you've got mediocre murlocs at tier 4 and tier 5. If you thread the needle, it's amazingly good though.

Kripp posted this image a few days ago that I basically agree with:

EJD1Jb5XYAAEq7Y

Yeah getting to the late game with murlocs is the hard part. It's also why I'd argue Nefarian is the best character you can play as. Not as important early game but late game, you absolutely use your hero power each turn. I'd say it needs to have the cost increased.

Game mode is addicting AF. Wife is out of town so i stayed up until 3:00 am playing. “Just one more game...” getting kids to school by myself was rough and dragging at work.

That was me Saturday night/Sunday morning. I don't have a ton of time to play, but once I do get started, it's hard to stop.

How's the BG mobile experience? Between seeing initial negative reports and feeling more comfortable learning on my laptop, I haven't given it a shot yet.

How's the BG mobile experience? Between seeing initial negative reports and feeling more comfortable learning on my laptop, I haven't given it a shot yet.

I play almost exclusively on mobile (ios) and it's fine for me.

The thing that gets me about this mode is it seems a mix of too random and too exponentially scaling. It's hard to plan out all the interactions that might occur in the limited amount of time, so I feel like it's not measuring skill/strategy enough beyond things like "get poison if it shows up".

I'd urge you to play a bit more. While there is a good bit of randomness, there are definite strategies and right/wrong plays. The RNG means you sometimes get rewarded or punished a bit harder for your choice, but really good players consistently finish in the top 3 or so.

I've been playing for several hours every night this week.  To quote MHB, it's been a lot of 'just one more game' when I should already be sleeping.  I have a Spectator Quest that's collecting dust because my friends are exclusively playing BG, too.

I like that it took some of the best aspects from the Solo Content (Bob's Tavern, progressive drafting of heroes and minions) and removed some of the worst parts of Ranked Play (Grinding, BM/voice emotes/intentional roping) while maintaining the core of Hearthstone: simple, polished, skillful, with a healthy dose of RNG.  

It appears that Blizzard is committed to keeping this mode fresh with regular nerfs/buffs, hero rotation, and new minions.  They've already promised in-client STATS (why can't we get this in any other damn mode?), too.  I'm smitten.

The mode is not without fault, however.  I'd like to see...
-Cycling through all opponents, rather than 'randomly' fighting (so many times you seem to fight the same person in 2 of 3 games, whether it's 8 people, or whether it's down to the final 3 and your two opponents won't share the ghost with you).
-Everyone starting the Tavern phase at the same time.  Right now, if you have a longer battle, you get less time in the Tavern.
-Shortening animation times.  Poison, Deryl's hats, token generation, and 'big hits' are egregious time wasters.
-I think it should be solo entrants only, or at least there should be a minor MMR penalty for pairing up.  Challenging a friend can greatly help the pair if they're communicating with each other (and why wouldn't they?).  That said, I've played a lot with Doofus and it's awesome to have the shared experience.

I've been playing for several hours every night this week.  To quote MHB, it's been a lot of 'just one more game' when I should already be sleeping.  I have a Spectator Quest that's collecting dust because my friends are exclusively playing BG, too.

I like that it took some of the best aspects from the Solo Content (Bob's Tavern, progressive drafting of heroes and minions) and removed some of the worst parts of Ranked Play (Grinding, BM/voice emotes/intentional roping) while maintaining the core of Hearthstone: simple, polished, skillful, with a healthy dose of RNG.  

It appears that Blizzard is committed to keeping this mode fresh with regular nerfs/buffs, hero rotation, and new minions.  They've already promised in-client STATS (why can't we get this in any other damn mode?), too.  I'm smitten.

The mode is not without fault, however.  I'd like to see...
-Cycling through all opponents, rather than 'randomly' fighting (so many times you seem to fight the same person in 2 of 3 games, whether it's 8 people, or whether it's down to the final 3 and your two opponents won't share the ghost with you).
-Everyone starting the Tavern phase at the same time.  Right now, if you have a longer battle, you get less time in the Tavern.
-Shortening animation times.  Poison, Deryl's hats, token generation, and 'big hits' are egregious time wasters.
-I think it should be solo entrants only, or at least there should be a minor MMR penalty for pairing up.  Challenging a friend can greatly help the pair if they're communicating with each other (and why wouldn't they?).  That said, I've played a lot with Doofus and it's awesome to have the shared experience.

Hold up a sec. I agree with everything you wrote, but you can pair up? How?

You can invite a friend just like a Standard/Wild/Tavern Brawl challenge and queue into the same game as them. It's only limited to pairs at this time.

Sometimes, I hate to see a battleground end. There have been a few games where my board gets to be completely ridiculous and I want to see how much more ridiculous I can make it.

I just won a game with Gallywix where I got the +2/+2 to random things and built a board with a cave hydra, foe reaper, old murkeye, amalgam and void lord. By the end, everything had over 25 attack and both my murlocs had poisonous.

And then there are games where I build what I think is an epic beast board and come in 8th. :shrug:

Last edited:
Back