• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hearthstone Thread FTMFW - 4/7 Ashes of Outland release - New Demon Hunter class!

I dust all extras. My buddy doesn't dust anything, because if they ever alter the card, it will dust for full value instead (see current Leroy and Buzzard)

Don't leave yourself with less than 2 of anything.

Don't craft anything but legendaries and epics. You'll pretty much get all the commons and a most rares from gold decks after a few months.

So dusting my gold leeroy Jenkins for 3200 and crafting one (or another legendary) for 1600 is a no brainer right?

Fuck yeah! Just opened the best pack I've ever seen: Ysera, Sea Giant, and Golden Pint-Sized Summoner.

So dusting my gold leeroy Jenkins for 3200 and crafting one (or another legendary) for 1600 is a no brainer right?

If you dust gold Leeroy for 3200 then you should do so and create two legendaries with it. I'm just waiting for 1600 dust to get Ysera (very jealous of HTTD). I have two faceless manipulators (great cards) and would kill for Ysera right now - waiting to get enough dust to make one. I have Jaraxxus and Al-Akir right now. I had the Rogue one a while back but dusted it because I have never played with a Rogue and likely never will.

Bumping cause i dgaf

I tried playing as the Hunter post-starving buzzard nerf, and man the Hunter sucks - there is simply zero card draw ability now. Tracking and flare just don't cut the mustard and unleash the hounds has limited utility unless you can pair it with a scavenging hyena and/or timber wolf.

I never played Hunter pre-nerf so I don't have anything compare it to, but I believe people have found a way around it with decks with undertaker and lots of deathrattle cards from Naxx. Thats what I've played and had most success with getting to rank 13-14. Hunter's skill is just really powerful in late game if you can maintain board control and get opponent below 10 health.

I gladly spent my $20, for the untold hours I've put into it, it's easily worth it to me. The cards are very useful, I use them in every deck, but the boss battles are just fun. All that gold is better spent on opening new cards, IMO.

I spent the $20 as well and easily worth it. As a noob, it forced me to learn about different decks and different strategies and the cards are worth it. Cards like Shade of Naxxramas, Loatheb, nerubian egg, sludge belcher are all very useful in multiple decks.

I dust all extras. My buddy doesn't dust anything, because if they ever alter the card, it will dust for full value instead (see current Leroy and Buzzard)

Don't leave yourself with less than 2 of anything.

Don't craft anything but legendaries and epics. You'll pretty much get all the commons and a most rares from gold decks after a few months.

I'm trying to save up for Van Cleef, but there are still lots of rares that I need. I haven't gotten an Azure Drake yet or Preparation for Rogue. I've got about 850 dust.

If you dust gold Leeroy for 3200 then you should do so and create two legendaries with it. I'm just waiting for 1600 dust to get Ysera (very jealous of HTTD). I have two faceless manipulators (great cards) and would kill for Ysera right now - waiting to get enough dust to make one. I have Jaraxxus and Al-Akir right now. I had the Rogue one a while back but dusted it because I have never played with a Rogue and likely never will.

I don't think I'll ever rule out playing a certain deck as it seems there are always changes that make certain decks stronger at different times. I'd hate to dust a class legendary and then have a change that made that class really strong. Recently I've been playing Hunter/Warlock/Rogue and I like Hunter and Warlock better.

What is everyone's rank so far this season? I'm 15-16 right now.

Sludge Belcher is such an overpowered card. It's almost omnipresent in the meta, and because of it I always include a silencer or two in my decks these days.

I've made it to rank 13, but I'm only playing once every three days so I don't lose quests.

Bumping cause i dgaf

What is everyone's rank so far this season? I'm 15-16 right now.

I haven't been playing for rank this month, I've just been focusing on goals. I think I might only be rank 19, but I just "bought" the final quarter of Naxxramas without spending any real money. Will go back to concentrating on rank and arena soon. I primarily play Hunter, Mage or Priest, but I've been having some fun with the Warlock lately.

Speaking of meta...every other person is a Priest these days.

It's very easy to gain rank by beating these n00bs with decks that include plenty of 4/X creatures. That eliminates 4 cards in most priest decks.

Speaking of meta...every other person is a Priest these days.

It's very easy to gain rank by beating these n00bs with decks that include plenty of 4/X creatures. That eliminates 4 cards in most priest decks.

If you consider that you play your smaller minions in early game, and only 4/x or better in mid to late game, you also limit ability of Cabal Shadow Priest. Good idea. I've been getting my nerubian eggs and acolytes of pain stolen.

I'm waffling between 13 and 14 right now with a Shaman deck that has Al-Akir, an Earth Elemental, two Fire Elementals, two Faceless Manipulators, Ysera, and two Unbound Elementals to buff up with overload cards. I was struggling a little and made a key change to insert Lava Burst in lieu of a second harvest golem and it got me up over the hump - guess I just needed a little more firepower.

My priest deck is around level 15 or 16 I think. I struggle to find a good balance with staying in the game early on and making it to end game where Priest is going to be a little bit more powerful. Sludge Belcher is such an obnoxious card - I hate it.

Played a frost mage the other day with my aforementioned Shaman deck and literally don't think I had any chance to win the way she drew into cards. She played two minions the entire game, played Alextreza or whatever the dragon is on turn 9 and even though I had the entire board full she was able to win because she got two ice blocks which she played on turns 8 and 9. I was up 30-2 entering turn 8 and lost after she came in with back to back frostbolts, ice lance, and fireball to win once she zapped me to 15. I played about as well as I could have and just got overpowered. It was pretty frustrating.

So I just started playing this and I'm terrible.

Any advice?

Any advice?

Work on at least 4-5 different characters and get them each to level 10. That way you can find which ones you like, but also learn a bit about how they are used and how to counter them. Don't be ashamed to use the starter decks for several matches until you get a feel for how the game works. Try to get coins for completing goals and then use those coins to buy Arena passes. The arena negates the advantages of other people buying or crafting top tier cards and relies solely on deck building and strategy... which you can learn while playing in the arena.

Any advice?

Watch streamers.
When you start a game, you want to mulligan to have a good selection of cards to play on your 1,2,3,4 mana turns.
Board control is usually more important than damage to the opponents face.
Some of it is knowing the opponent's champ to know what cards they might be able to play next turn to avoid wasting a card (i.e. a mage at 7 mana is likely to flamestrike, so don't empty your hand of your <4 health minions)

Any advice?

I like redwing's advice to get as many characters to level 10 as you can. You will identify a couple that you like playing early, but it will change as you rank up and learn about the game. Make sure you complete all daily quests for gold. If you don't like a quest, you can X out of it once and get a new one.

I would hold off on Arena for now. I still get my butt kicked in arena. Cards that are good in rank play mode can be terrible in Arena, and vice versa. Use gold only to buy packs and get new cards.

Use this site: http://www.liquidhearth.com/guides/ to learn about which cards are good/ok/terrible for each class. Once you get better cards, use those guides to make some decks that are a mix of good cards from the guides and good minions.

post as many questions as you'd like. Most of that advice came from DieselDeac, so thanks to him for helping me.

Something helpful IMO for arena runs is the hearthstone arena guide spreadsheet from this website: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...BKB-FAJFRg_mzM09rS44-KA&bvm=bv.77880786,d.cWc

The basic premise there is you take the higher-tiered card no matter what for the first handful of picks (five to seven) and then start assigning weights to the cards after to figure out what you need (e.g. you're a mage and you've already drawn pyroblaster, two fireballs, and two flamestrikes then you probably want to get some minions even if another flamestrike pops up. In other words look at the marginal utility of each additional card).

I hadn't been making many arena runs lately but got six wins with a priest the other night with a deck that I didn't even think was very good. I got 55 gold, a pack of cards, and...drumroll please....ICE LANCE. Awful.

Been playing with it for a while, got Hunter and Shaman up to level 10, I like those, but don't have any great cards so far.

I will be researching deck building because the ones I've attempted to use/practice with don't seem very good.

I've done Arena twice, the first one I lost all 3....the last one I won 2, lost 3.

The goal with arena runs is 4 wins IMO. I think that's the point where you're guaranteed to recoup your investment (100 gold is the cost for the deck of cards you get and at 4 wins I believe you're guaranteed to get at least the equivalent of 50 gold).

Done arena 3 times: 0 wins, then 2 wins each time. 2 wins last night and got a pack and 50 gold.

I spent some $ on cards last night and got 2 Baron Geddons, which suck as legendary IMO. But I dusted 1 of them and crafted my van cleef. Going to work on building this Malygos rogue deck:

http://www.hearthhead.com/news=243828/maly-goes-west

Again, if you are ever going to spend a bit of money on the game, highly recommend buying the Naxxramas expansion. You will get lots of strong rare and legendary cards.

I spent some time looking at decks from tournament play and almost every deck includes Loatheb, just in case anyone needed more reason to do Naxx.

Back