• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hearthstone Thread FTMFW - 4/7 Ashes of Outland release - New Demon Hunter class!

Kibler was pretty salty on his stream last night. One opponent kept spamming Happy New Year when it was clear he was going to win and then Kibler talked about what bad card designs Genn and Baku were. Then he kinda rage quit and went to go play magic. It was very unlike him.

I've been hearing a lot from casters and developers that there might be some Baku / Genn changes coming. One of the developers comments that they didn't want Genn / Baku to dominate the new expansions. Some proposed changes are:

- nerfing some (but not all) of the hero powers. A 2/2 silver hand knight instead of 2 1/1's. 3 armor for warriors, etc.
- making it similar to quests where it starts in your hand but you have to play it to get the effect
- making it more like reno where it's in your deck and you have to draw it and play it to get the benefit from it
- hall of faming it a year early

I think I'm leaning toward the last one. Genn / Baku were fun and I've certainly played a lot of those decks across all the classes (except Hunter and Priest I think), but I'm over it and over how much all the nerfs and new cards have to build around those two cards. I've enjoyed the death knights as well, especially Rexxar but I'm looking forward to a return of a more traditional Hearthstone.

The Genn/Baku discussion is very interesting to me, because nearly everyone wants to see a nerf, but no one wants to Warsong Commander them. Blizzard can't just change their mana cost and call it a day.

Personally, I find the Death Knights to be the greater design miscalculation. I actually hate Rexxar the most of them all, lol. There's not a single Hunter deck that wouldn't run him (except for Odd Hunter which cannot) - he's a near infinite value machine PLUS a board clear in a class, thematically and historically, that has never really had either of those tools in their arsenal. It's not fun to play a deck that can both 'hunt you down' and outlast you in the long game. And it's crappy design to have a card that is auto-include regardless of your decks archetype or game-plan. Some of the other DKs if played on curve, or before you can play your own, feel like instant win conditions: mainly Jaina and Guldan (in addition to Rexxar).

But of course, I've played all those Death Knights, and enjoyed it because they're powerful cards. Build-a-beast is a really fun concept. The DKs will continue to find a good home in Wild.

Genn and Baku just aren't fun any more. This game shouldn't have very many decks that are essentially playing the hero power every turn instead of cards, it just isn't interesting game play or deck building. It was a nice idea and glad we had it for a while, but it's time to kill it. Personally I hope they do Warsong Commander it, or just remove it from the game outright. I don't think those cards should exist in Wild for the long term health of the format.

Barely played hearthstone this month at all. I was close to not even logging in to get the card back. Player and community/streamer fatigue seems to be at an all time high. Auto Chess has taken a bigger chunk out of the community than any other game I've ever seen and actually looks like it could have some staying power. It is super fun to play, imo. It'll be interesting to see if this rotation can re-energize Hearthstone or if it continues a slow decline in interest. I have a feeling that without something really new and different, we may be in the same place a couple months after the next expansion as we are now.

The combination of Death Knight cards and Genn/Baku have dominated the meta for the last year which has led to a lot of burnout. Dr. Boom didn't really add anything new other than, well, Dr. Boom. I'm struggling to think of a single, viable, competitive deck that:

1) Doesn't run a death knight
2) Isn't a Genn / Baku deck
3) Isn't an OTK deck

I agree that a lot of those games are, who plays their DK first. Before the nerfs, I played a lot of spell hunter and I loved it when a hunter would play Zul'jin after having already played DK Rexxar. I knew at that point, it was an autowin. The death knights were fun but they are at least rotating out with the next expansion and that will drastically change the landscape of Hearthstone. However, something has to fill the void and that's undoubtably going to be Genn/Baku unless they are drastically changed.

A lot of the decks I've been having the most fun with playing lately are none of the above. I've been playing a lot of Kibler's DragonEvolve Shaman. I've also been playing a bunch of different rogue decks like Espionage and Shark.

I would love to play a paladin deck that involves mechs that isn't odd, even, otk but it just isn't viable right now.

HTTD, i just saw a reddit post about the art book finally shipping. You gonna get it now or moved on?

I got over my irritation and ordered through Amazon. It's really nice and contains a ton of content (read: original art) The beginning sections of the book cover the initial design of the game - it's really neat to see their unused concepts and how they progressed to what we recognize today.

The next volume (Year of the Kraken) will be available in October...allegedly. I wouldn't get your hopes up in that department :thumbsup:

Lots and lots of good stuff in that announcement including a couple long overdue QOL things: random card back option, and arena wins counting towards Golden Portraits.

With the HOF announcement, don't forget to maximize your dust refund! I just crafted 2x Golden Glitter Moths (I didn't have any copies) for the low, low price of 3,200 dust :eek:

My only beef is making the single-player content a paid property. I get that's how it used to be with Adventures, but that was also the only way you could get the cards from that set. Now it's just a coin-dump for a couple packs and a card-back, so the experience better be Dungeon Run-level good.

All the hall of fame choices seem reasonable. I don't particularly like Genn and Baku existing in Wild but I commend the team on taking action on those cards right now. I think the devs have steadily improved over the past few years when it comes to nerf/HOF decisions.

Not a big arena player but the rotations they announced seem well received and generally a good idea. Also way, way overdue on arena wins counting towards the golden portraits.

The rest is kind of meh. Not sure how I feel about them hanging their hat on solo content (and having to pay something for it). I've never found it to have much staying power, though I suppose there must be people out there who like it a lot. It has never been bad, but I'd rather have tournament mode 100% of the time.

Most of the quality of life improvements are fine but feel like they should be hotfix notes rather than part of some big announcement.

Maybe being too negative here... just hoping for something significant in the coming year and this isn't getting me too excited.

Saw priest have a 68 damage OTK in HCT yesterday against a warrior with 30 health and 37 armor. Nuts.

I've played a lot of Dungeon Runs, but it wasn't until tonight that I got 35 mana worth of minions on the board Turn 1.

Mana Crystal Passive -> Bag of Stuffing (draw cards until hand is full) -> Boots of Haste (your minions cost zero this turn) -> vomit hand, including Y'Shaarj -> Y'Shaarj pulls Aya at end of turn

5oTpBMK.png

Good news! I just opened a Rastakhan legendary.

Bad news! It was Da Griftah. Possibly the only Rastakhan legendary I haven't seen in a standard match yet.

Back