• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Comments in Greensboro Today

Black and orange. Have had a few great athletes come through here. Our latest was Lorenzo Featherston, who is playing for fsu this season.

Otherwise known as Antonio Ford's Recurring Nightmare.

I had the pleasure of hearing Coach Manning speak to the group of us after practice yesterday. He thanked us for coming out to watch and said we had practiced twice yesterday--going early in the morning and again at the LJVM at 4:00. we would also be doing it twice today. These guys are going hard at it. I like what I see and in the long run this will all pay off and this is the best I have felt about the Wake Forest basketball program in quite a few years [since CP3 days and the Jeff Teague/James Johnson climb to #1 days before we tumbled and lost to Cleveland State]. We are in great hands with this coaching staff!

I forgot to mention that DM said he wants the top scorer to only avg 16 pts. He wants 3-4 players averaging double digits, and said he isn't afraid to bench a star that is struggling for the night. He is patently opposed to pulling a sub that is contributing in favor of a starter that is having a tough game. Refreshing.

I forgot to mention that DM said he wants the top scorer to only avg 16 pts. He wants 3-4 players averaging double digits, and said he isn't afraid to bench a star that is struggling for the night. He is patently opposed to pulling a sub that is contributing in favor of a starter that is having a tough game. Refreshing.

16 is pretty normal for a top scorer. We haven't had someone average over 17 since Teague in 2009. Last year our leader was at 12.6.

How is that refreshing? Was there some huge uproar over Bz or Dino constantly playing some star instead of a backup who was having a good game?

I wonder what Randolph thinks about that. He averaged well over that for his last 3 years playing in an Odom pace that I'm guessing is similar to what we'll see under Manning.

How is that refreshing? Was there some huge uproar over Bz or Dino constantly playing some star instead of a backup who was having a good game?

Nothing to do with bz or Dino... just out of the ordinary in this star pampering elite CBB world.

I wonder what Randolph thinks about that. He averaged well over that for his last 3 years playing in an Odom pace that I'm guessing is similar to what we'll see under Manning.

Manning can say whatever he wants. When the games starts the guy who scores the points is going to get the ball. If he wants balanced scoring he needs to recruit more scorers.

Last edited:
Yeah. Nobody is going to complain if we have a 20 ppg scorer next year. I'll even settle for a Will Solo-man.

It sounds like Manning is going to prioritize player development and getting the most out of his young, not particularly talented rotation as possible. I'm guessing he's been watching our tape from last year where only one player was capable of creating his own shot and, instead of either motivating guys to get better or adjusting his coaching to free up somebody else to get a shot or two, old clown shoes rode our only decent players into the ground at the expense of developing a rotation.

I interpreted it in almost the exact opposite terms. Hell, even UK had four guys in double figures and a leading scorer of 15.1, but spoiled #millennials rabblerabblerabblederp

Last edited:
I've got tickets to the coaches luncheon next Thursday with he and Clawson. I'm looking forward to hearing him speak for the first time in person. He'll have a solid week of practices under his belt by that time, so hopefully he'll have a better gauge of the team.

Can you ask him if he will appeal to the administration about lightening the academic load on Tuesdays?

I'm expecting Manning to prefer a faster pace than Odom's teams.

Buzz had a star? I must have missed that part, and that is entirely possible.

I don't remember a Wake coach in the past specifically mentioning recruiting rankings much less describe a target range.

Does anybody remember a similar statement from a prior coach?

I don't remember a Wake coach in the past specifically mentioning recruiting rankings much less describe a target range.

Only that rankings don't matter.

Maybe Caldwell did so a little bit.

didn't prosser routinely say he would recruit the best talent? i can't say he ever equated that speficilally with ratings but i always thought it was clear he would target the best (maybe a "wake forest" caveat about meeting the standards) and go after them.

Are we really not going to discuss the "bro?"

Another interesting tidbit that has driven his passion for data... he had a player brought back from death during a pickup game in his first week at Tulsa. It really shook him, obviously. He vowed to have as much information as he could moving forward to catch health issues before they require paddles.

Back