• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Comments in Greensboro Today

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of seeing DM speak in Greensboro today... and I walked away thoroughly impressed. Thought I'd share the highlights:

- When asked about "one and dones" he said he would go after some. Basically he said our competition has them and we should too.

- He said recruiting at Wake was much more like Kansas than Tulsa. He said we'll target top 100 kids where Tulsa went after 125-200 talent.

- He talked about the changes he's seen with this generation of kids. They are much more pampered and entitled.

- When recruiting, he spends a lot of time assessing the parents and a kid's social media postings. If he sees warning signs, he'll avoid. He mentioned that parents often say "little Johnny is a one and done, etc.". DM said more often they are "four and none".

- When asked about his relationship with CP3, TD, and other past stars, he said they have a great relationship but he stresses to recruits that they'll get to spend time with his highly experienced staff with two 1st rd picks and other former elite players... every day.

- He mentioned that he feels he has the experience to relate to all types of players on his team given that he's been a star, a sixth man, a bencher, and a role player during his career.

- His staff uses technology to monitor the players. They wear GPSs through a contraption termed a bro ( male for bra) that monitors their activity level, heart rate, sleep, nutrition, etc. Fascinating stuff that they analyze after every workout.

- He lamented how little time the NCAA allows the players to spend with coaches in the offseason. Often bad influences fill that void.

- Speaks very highly of Bill Self.

Good stuff - thanks for posting! A refreshing breath of fresh air after the past 4 years. Can't wait .....

I lived in Greensboro when Manning was a player at Page HS and remember the big news when he went to Kansas.
Glad to see him 'back home' in NC.
He obviously has great experience, especially as a player, but I've also been very impressed with his recruiting in such a short time.
Very optimistic that with him in charge we'll be able to say with confidence.........'We're going to be good again'

I lived in Greensboro when Manning was a player at Page HS and remember the big news when he went to Kansas.
Glad to see him 'back home' in NC.
He obviously has great experience, especially as a player, but I've also been very impressed with his recruiting in such a short time.
Very optimistic that with him in charge we'll be able to say with confidence.........'We're going to be good again'

Someone asked him "where if not for Kansas?" He said UNC, State, or Cincy in no particular order. He also said he's found himself randomly driving to Greensboro since he's been back. He's wandered through the Page gym, Lewis center/safetytown, Joyner elementary, Aycock middle, etc.

I had the pleasure of seeing DM speak in Greensboro today... and I walked away thoroughly impressed. Thought I'd share the highlights:

- When asked about "one and dones" he said he would go after some. Basically he said our competition has them and we should too.

But, but, but, culture.

Someone asked him "where if not for Kansas?" He said UNC, State, or Cincy in no particular order. He also said he's found himself randomly driving to Greensboro since he's been back. He's wandered through the Page gym, Lewis center/safetytown, Joyner elementary, Aycock middle, etc.

If he has been back to Aycock, he hasnt come during regular school hours.

I mean, I'm sure he loves Aycock more than just about anyone - but isn't coming during regular school hours frowned upon?

What are you, some kind of Aycock expert?

Let's just say that Stratt knows his way around Aycock.

There is not Aycock in Greensboro that Stratt doesn't know up one side and down the other.

yGBuI.gif

I was there too and thought Coach was great. Some dufus asked who are third scorer would be behind Devin and Travis. Poster? Coach responded, "well Travis is gone, but we hope to have a balanced attack."

Among the roles Manning has played he can sell to players, he can also relate to the super elite recruits. In the 80s, off the top of my head the only recruits I can think of that were similarly hyped were Ewing, Sampson, maybe Sam Bowie.

I've got tickets to the coaches luncheon next Thursday with he and Clawson. I'm looking forward to hearing him speak for the first time in person. He'll have a solid week of practices under his belt by that time, so hopefully he'll have a better gauge of the team.

Among the roles Manning has played he can sell to players, he can also relate to the super elite recruits. In the 80s, off the top of my head the only recruits I can think of that were similarly hyped were Ewing, Sampson, maybe Sam Bowie.

JR Reid was going to change the world.

I was there too and thought Coach was great. Some dufus asked who are third scorer would be behind Devin and Travis. Poster? Coach responded, "well Travis is gone, but we hope to have a balanced attack."

Let the record show that I asked no questions.

JR Reid was going to change the world.

I was this [] close to including Reid in my list, but didn't. Based on my ever deteriorating memory, I think of high school Sampson, Ewing, Manning and Bowie coming in with slightly higher expectations than Reid, but I sure can't support that statement.

I was this [] close to including Reid in my list, but didn't. Based on my ever deteriorating memory, I think of high school Sampson, Ewing, Manning and Bowie coming in with slightly higher expectations than Reid, but I sure can't support that statement.

Yeah, but Reid committed to Chapel Hill, which is a game changer.

I've got tickets to the coaches luncheon next Thursday with he and Clawson. I'm looking forward to hearing him speak for the first time in person. He'll have a solid week of practices under his belt by that time, so hopefully he'll have a better gauge of the team.

FWIW, DM wasn't all that energetic in his prepared remarks. He was very good in Q & A.

I hope that response was to the question "where [would you have gone to school] if not for Kansas" and not "where [would you leave us for a better job] if not for Kansas"

Back