• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serial (podcast)

Just started it this morning! (so only thru ep 1)

Definitely enjoying so far.

I think I'm finding it particularly interesting because it happened my senior year and they are basically my age. So thinking back to what i remember from that time is interesting.

There's a little bit of a discussion of this on the podcasts thread or the This American Life thread, can't remember which, but it's threadworthy unto itself in my opinion. Sara Koenig says "like" a lot, but other than that I really dig it.

I haven't listened to yesterday's ep, but my current theory is that Jay and Adnan did this together and that Adnan is resisting the urge to retalliate against Jay for telling his story because while it could get Jay in trouble it would still keep him in Jail forever. So his best bet is to continue to claim innocence. I'm sure I'll change my mind next week.

Why wouldn't Adnan have copped to it and admitted he and Jay did it together? And what was the motive?

I've been trying to get my wife into podcasts for awhile so I can make her listen to them on long drives without getting grief but she never really got into them (granted most of the stuff I like she wouldn't). I suggested this one a few weeks ago on a long drive and we listened to the first four, and after we got home she told me I'm not allowed to listen to anymore without her. So success! Part of this story that appeals to her is much of what is being discussed is so "high school." If the details around it were just grisly like you'd expect out of a lot of true crime reporting she probably wouldn't have liked it as much.

Why wouldn't Adnan have copped to it and admitted he and Jay did it together? And what was the motive?

he would have copped to it because he'd still end up in jail for the rest of his life. no idea what the motive is. I also wouldn't be surprised if Jenn has something to do with all of this.

I don't know why I want it to be anybody other than Adnan but I do.

Listened to 1 thru 4 this week. I think it's excellent.

I just don't get why he would tell all these things to Jay and get him so involved. That doesn't make sense to me.

If he truly is a psychopath, why involve Jay? He's an obvious risk.

Obviously this was a huge life event for all of them and most testified, but I am amazed at how well a lot of these guys remember the events almost as if they were yesterday. I was in high school 7 years ago and can't remember specific events and days like that.

I'm loving this too. why would jay make it all up?

The "Inconsistencies" episode (about Jay and his stories) is the one that has given me the most pause.

Obviously this was a huge life event for all of them and most testified, but I am amazed at how well a lot of these guys remember the events almost as if they were yesterday. I was in high school 7 years ago and can't remember specific events and days like that.

How many murder investigations were you a part of?

Listened to all 7 eps in a row yesterday so they are running together but did we find out why there was a mistrial?

“In the Motion for Recusal, the State’s Attorney for Baltimore City alleged that in an unrelated criminal case in which Gutierrez represented defendant Adnan Syed before Judge Quarles, Judge Quarles had accused Gutierrez of lying, apparently within the hearing of one of the jurors. That juror allegedly passed a note to Judge Quarles asking, “In view of the fact that you have determined that Ms. Gutierrez is a liar, will she be removed [from the case] and we start over?” The State’s Attorney further alleged that thereafter Judge Quarles had declared a mistrial.”

Listened to this on my plane rides last week-- i'm so addicted! One question though-- is the podcast happening in real time? Like for example, did SK the UVA innocence project involved just last week? If not, I'm wondering why there aren't any more readily available spoilers.

Back