• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Net Neutrality - thoughts?

Geez. His argument is that we need to get rid laws preventing ISPs from doing bad things because we don't have evidence ISPs are doing those things.

There's also no reason to believe getting rid of net neutrality would lead to more competition. The providers have carved up the country and avoided too much competition in order to maximize their profits.

I'm not sure how this passes without major blowback. People by and large hate their internet and cable providers who want to get rid of net neutrality. They love their content providers who want to keep it. People don't want their Netflix throttled by a company they can't get rid of.

Last edited:
FCC takes first step in rolling back net neutrality rules

The Federal Communications Commission on Thursday voted 2-1 along party lines to adopt and advance new rules on net neutrality, that would roll back Obama-era policy. After the proposed rules are released in the next few business days, the FCC will hold a comment period followed by a reply period and then FCC Chairman Ajit Pai could propose the new rules to the full commission for a another vote. The FCC's proposed rules have been opposed by a number of groups, most notably comedian John Oliver, the host of HBO's "Last Week Tonight" John Oliver. The Writers Guild of America on Thursday released a statement opposing the FCC's move as well, saying "The war on the open internet being waged by FCC Chairman Ajit Pai and Commissioner Michael O'Rielly is an attack on free speech, competition and the public interest."

lol the US is so backwards. The rest of the civilized world is racing to maximize broadband coverage so all citizens can benefit from the internet equally and unlock maximum productivity gains, and we are just letting a whole bunch of giant companies run the show for maximum profit on minimum coverage.

I'd love to see the argument why cheap, reliable broadband across the entire nation isn't the best for business and consumers.

I'd love to see the argument why cheap, reliable broadband across the entire nation isn't the best for business and consumers.

Because it doesn't maximize the amount of money in the hands of a privileged few.

If they had a good argument they wouldn't be doing this over Thanksgiving.

And somehow they'll blame Democrats when consumers hate it.

Any connection between timing of this move and DoJ lawsuit against AT&T / TW?

So the chairman of the FCC has proposed the repeal of the regulations that insure net neutrality, but who will vote on whether to enact this proposal? That’s an administrative decision, not a legislative one.

Put another way, who do I call to oppose this repeal because I doubt my senators and congressman GAF

Isn't this pretty much the same argument that cut-the-cord millennials use when talking about why they jizz on their HBOgo? If I don't use Twitter and Instagram and can pay less not having them, why do I want to pay for the chance that I may use it one day?

Isn't this pretty much the same argument that cut-the-cord millennials use when talking about why they jizz on their HBOgo? If I don't use Twitter and Instagram and can pay less not having them, why do I want to pay for the chance that I may use it one day?

LOL. No.

You’re confusing content with access to content

Quote:
----------
...The clear winners from the move would be telecom giants like AT&T and Comcast that have lobbied for years against regulations of broadband and will now have more control over the online experiences of American consumers. The losers could be internet sites that will have to answer to telecom firms to get their content in front of consumers. And consumers may see their bills increase for the best quality of internet service...

The actions by Mr. Pai, who was appointed by President Trump, is the centerpiece of a deregulatory agenda that has also stripped television broadcasters, newspapers and telecom companies of a broad range of regulations meant to protect the public interest.

[from NYT article]
----------

Have not read through the thread, but I thought I'd provide a little insight what this (rolling back NN) would have done to our business in Richmond VA.

We ran a distribution warehouse that owned a number of medium-to-high volume e-commerce sites. We provided good jobs. Above minimum wage. Benefits. Cool atmosphere. Everything that Amazon doesn't do for their warehouse girls & guys.

We would have closed down. On the night of the vote. Dead & gone.

This is the most inherently evil mega-corp legislation on the table for the GOP.

I could go on for days about just how terrible this is for 99.9999% of the US population. I'll stop here, but I'm glad to answer specific questions on it.

We were smack dab in the middle of this fight a few years ago and I'm stunned it hasn't already been decided on by the general public.

This would be devastating to small e-commerce sites. It's easy to see that.

I'm surprised the big dogs like Amazon and Netflix haven't put their thumbs on the scale with their subscribers. Not hard to imagine a situation where Disney pays Comcast for priority access to their upcoming streaming service while Netflix gets throttled. Why would anybody want that?

Last edited:
Back