• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Net Neutrality - thoughts?

That makes sense. Had providers gotten together in the 90s to change speeds, etc., they may have had more of an easy road. today, the internet is a utility.

This is pretty much a no brainer. I'm pretty sure the only people who disagree with this are those who stand to make a ton of money if it doesn't happen(cable companies, who will still make a ton of money if it does happen) and probably some old white dudes who don't understand the internet.

Seems like a no brainer to me as well. Was just hoping someone would make a reasonable case against just to see the other side of this.

doesn't matter; the people who stand to lose the most have the least money to bribe congress.

Pricing of the internet is is like pricing of buffets or "unlimited calling" for phones. Most people pay for much more than they use. do the internet companies who want to charge higher rates want to send refunds for those who don't get as much as they are paying for?

doesn't matter; the people who stand to lose the most have the least money to bribe congress.

And it's not against the law for Members of Congress to buy stock or options in these companies before making such laws.

Hopefully, Obama will man up and veto any laws Congress passes to negate this decision.

It's a no brainer. The best way to keep the internet free is to give hordes of government appointees carte blanche to monkey with it.

http://www.cato.org/blog/net-neutrality-or-destroying-internet-innovation-investment

"If we want to maintain a free and open Internet, and encourage broadband competition, the FCC would do well to heed his advice."

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Better not change anything then. I'd hate for all of that competition TWC has in the area to be stifled. That would give them a monopoly which means they could provide shitty products and services.

So by classifying it as a utility would the government then be able to regulate pricing levels?

So, honest question because I've never really thought about it, does that discourage or encourage innovation towards increased speeds? Our physical electrical grid sucks in part because utilities have little motivation to make actual infrastructure improvements instead of patchwork repairs ... would this encourage the same behavior amongst ISPs if all are treated the same?

The electrical grid in the US sucks? Honest question because I have no idea how we rank against other developed nations.

Locally they're implementing smart grid features including some pilot electricity reduction incentives with smart monitoring, and if folks put up solar panels they can sell back electricity to our utility company.

But yeah, reclassification is a complete no-brainer. It should absolutely happen. The only way it won't is if companies take all the money they've made from their customers and spend it on preventing future benefit to their customers. That would suck.

This is one area where I cannot even imagine that there is not widespread support for reclassification regardless of ideology.

The electrical grid in the US sucks? Honest question because I have no idea how we rank against other developed nations.

Locally they're implementing smart grid features including some pilot electricity reduction incentives with smart monitoring, and if folks put up solar panels they can sell back electricity to our utility company.

But yeah, reclassification is a complete no-brainer. It should absolutely happen. The only way it won't is if companies take all the money they've made from their customers and spend it on preventing future benefit to their customers. That would suck.

Yeah, depending on who you believe, we lose somewhere between 6 - 20% of produced electricity before it reaches its destination due to old overhead lines, transformers, etc.
http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/total-losses-in-power-distribution-and-transmission-lines-1

One of the issues is that because of the regulated rates, power companies tend to fix problems instead of implementing long-term improvements.
But that may not be of concern with internet services.

This is one area where I cannot even imagine that there is not widespread support for reclassification regardless of ideology.

It's naive to think there won't be widespread unhappiness with a big government take over of your internet or Obamanet.

It's naive to think there won't be widespread unhappiness with a big government take over of your internet or Obamanet.

Oh yeah...this will be particularly true in the demographic of old people who don't really understand the internet PLUS GOVERNMENT TAKING OVER EVERYTHING!

Back