• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mount Rushmore of American Authors

I'd put Robert Heinlein up there, along with the others mentioned. Made science fiction into a viable writing genre.

I'd put Robert Heinlein up there, along with the others mentioned. Made science fiction into a viable writing genre.

This would be a good question - which Sci Fi author would come closest to making the list? Heinlein is a good choice, but what about Asimov, Bradbury. Frank Herbert... Orson Scott Card ??

This would be a good question - which Sci Fi author would come closest to making the list? Heinlein is a good choice, but what about Asimov, Bradbury. Frank Herbert... Orson Scott Card ??

Bradbury hands down.

If we are sticking strictly to Americans, I'd argue that H.P Lovecraft is the most correct answer.

Orson Scott Card for popular consumption, certainly.

Richard Wright probably doesn't deserve Rushmore status, but he's much better than some of the authors being discussed.

Bradbury hands down.

If we are sticking strictly to Americans, I'd argue that H.P Lovecraft is the most correct answer.

Orson Scott Card for popular consumption, certainly.

One compilation of top ten most influential science fiction writers has H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke as their top four, with Frank Herbert and Ray Bradbury leading the rest,which are all Americans - William Gibson (dual US - Canada citizenship), Robert Heinlein, Orson Robert Card and Douglas Adams.

One compilation of top ten most influential science fiction writers has H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke as their top four, with Frank Herbert and Ray Bradbury leading the rest,which are all Americans - William Gibson (dual US - Canada citizenship), Robert Heinlein, Orson Robert Card and Douglas Adams.

Orson Robert Card?

Also Douglas Adams is British

Back