• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Future NCAAT 2nd & 3rd Rounds Announced

StrickDeac

Reaction score
Good thread. Sucks that LJVM can no longer host tourney games like it used to. Those were fun years to be in Winston in March (unless you were traveling with the Wake team, of course).

Good thread. Sucks that LJVM can no longer host tourney games like it used to. Those were fun years to be in Winston in March (unless you were traveling with the Wake team, of course).

Why can't the Joel host tourney games anymore? What have I missed?

Why can't the Joel host tourney games anymore? What have I missed?

As far as I know, they can. But hard to put up a competitive bid in a 14,500 seat arena against bids in Raleigh/Charlotte/Greensboro that seat anywhere from 19,000 - 24,000. Gone are the days when both a Winston-Salem and Charlotte can host in the same year (1997).

I was pleasantly surprised to see all the regional sites are going to be in standard arenas for this bid cycle, kudos to the committee for avoiding domes until the Final Four.

Best news in that article:

The NCAA also announced the First Four will remain in Dayton through 2018. Thankfully, the term "second round" when talking about the Round of 64 is going the way of the dodo. The NCAA voted to once again refer to the Round of 64 as the "first round" beginning in 2016.

As far as I know, they can. But hard to put up a competitive bid in a 14,500 seat arena against bids in Raleigh/Charlotte/Greensboro that seat anywhere from 19,000 - 24,000. Gone are the days when both a Winston-Salem and Charlotte can host in the same year (1997).

I was pleasantly surprised to see all the regional sites are going to be in standard arenas for this bid cycle, kudos to the committee for avoiding domes until the Final Four.

I wonder how many tickets those venues sell for first round games (first real rounds).

I wonder how many tickets those venues sell for first round games (first real rounds).

At least 85-90% of the tickets are sold before the teams are ever announced, anticipating Duke or UNC will end up there. If they both end up there (Charlotte 2005, Greensboro 2009, Charlotte 2011), it can come close to a sell-out in Raleigh or Charlotte (harder in Greensboro with so many bad seats upstairs behind the baskets).

I wonder why Dayton gets games every year.

They like the atmospere it creates and it gets near sellouts for every game is what they have said. Plus they wanted it early when not everybody did and they have made it successful and fun for those teams in the first games. Plus I would imagine being in the middle of the country is pretty logistically good since the winners have to move on from there and play in 2 days.

They like the atmospere it creates and it gets near sellouts for every game is what they have said. Plus they wanted it early when not everybody did and they have made it successful and fun for those teams in the first games. Plus I would imagine being in the middle of the country is pretty logistically good since the winners have to move on from there and play in 2 days.

Dayton is not in the middle of the country.

I think Dayton got the original "First Four" partly due to having hosted more NCAA tourney games than any site in the country.

Could be wrong, but I think the NCAA implemented a minimum capacity requirement for NCAA tourney host sites about ten years back. LJVM's capacity is below the cutoff. Or maybe it wasn't capacity but some other new criterion that LJVM doesn't meet and is therefore no longer eligible to host.

I think Dayton got the original "First Four" partly due to having hosted more NCAA tourney games than any site in the country.

Could be wrong, but I think the NCAA implemented a minimum capacity requirement for NCAA tourney host sites about ten years back. LJVM's capacity is below the cutoff. Or maybe it wasn't capacity but some other new criterion that LJVM doesn't meet and is therefore no longer eligible to host.

Minimum for 1st/2nd round games is like 12,000 (the arenas in Spokane and San Diego are both slightly above that number, and they were awarded host sites yesterday), so LJVM has plenty of seats to submit a bid to host.

Back