• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

WFU offered Gary Williams. There was a pretty full search. Staak wasn't a fit for WFU but Tacy left him with nothing other than Mugsy. Then Staak signed Kitley and A Johnson in his first class . It didn't help that we still played in the old coliseum then. Staak was turning it around when he got canned . Wainwright had helped him sign Chris King and Tucker was transferring from Georgetown . The Joel was built, Odom signed Chill, Rodney, Tree Owens and we were back on our feet again . Tim sealed the deal.

The only thing that Staak "turned around" was his barstool to check out the latest honey who walked into the bar.

Agreed.
I can't tell if people start threads like this because they genuinely feel that way or just because they want to get some sh_t started and watch everyone react. Regardless, it's ridiculous.

Some of you that live in this instant gratification world should have picked a different college if your not happy with revenue sports at WFU. I attended my first WF game in 1968 and have lived through some sh_tty-f_cking teams and coaches. You don't have the first clue. So, please spare us your Veruca Salt "I Want It Now" cry-baby crap!

There! Is that the reaction that you were hoping for?!

No. You should have just typed out the shitty-fucking cuss words instead of self-editing them for no apparent reason.

The only thing that Staak "turned around" was his barstool to check out the latest honey who walked into the bar.

LOL. Well, he signed Chris King and Anthony Tucker before he was fired for good reason .

Ya Tacy really left Gene Hooks in a lurch w/ his sudden resignation eh? Wonder if we would have had a natural progression towards GDO if Tacy had just ridden out the decade and helped set Wake up for the transition? But those 4 dark Staak years really made the Odom era that much sweeter eh? Took it for granted while I was a student in the early/mid 90's but in retrospect it's the best BB ever played at Wake for a 6 year stretch ('91-'97). Skip came close but, aside from putting too much faith in CP2 staying that 3rd year, his recruiting was not all that great after 2005.

Actually Wake's best 6 year stretch was from '21-'27, where we went 91-34 (.728).

from '91-'97 we went 135-52 (.721).

We actually matched that win total from '99-'05 (Odom's last two years and Skip's first four), but had 8 more losses (135-60 (.692))

Loved Tacy's teams. Great style of play and a lot of small town guys like Skip Brown. However, that was a different era. Time to move on to the current team. Manning has grown on me because he is old school in his approach.

Loved Tacy's teams. Great style of play and a lot of small town guys like Skip Brown. However, that was a different era. Time to move on to the current team. Manning has grown on me because he is old school in his approach.

Same here as I was at Wake during the Tacy years and traveled to Greensboro for our "home" games. Were fun games to watch! Good times!:D

Hooks...and WF, too...fully deserved everything bad that happened to them during the four years with Staak after Carl finally got tired of Hooks & WF screwing him over. Should've been eight years instead of four, in fact. Tacy was the best bench coach that WF has ever had....for example, he won 10 games against Dean Smith's Carolina teams that were ranked in the top 10 in the nation....and it's amazing that he could have recruited as well as he did, considering that neither Hooks not the school gave him any help. Almost no staff, no budget, and he had to play his home games in a shithole....or move them to another county. Many of the good players he had were overlooked diamonds in the rough that he had to find in the hinterlands and mold into stars....like Rod Griffin, Delaney Rudd & Anthony Teachey.

Did not realize it was THAT bad under Hooks. Thanks for the perspective on this. Elevates Tacy even further in the discussion of best Wake BB coaches. I reckon there would be some lively debates from various eras arguing how to rank Bones, Tacy & Odom.

And now we get out-recruited by the likes of Creighton, VCU, SD St., Wichita St. and Baylor. Good God.

Frank Johnson was pretty highly ranked. Also, Johnstone,Rogers, Helms, and Morgan were a top 5 class according to my old Street and Smith mag.

Frank Johnson was pretty highly ranked. Also, Johnstone,Rogers, Helms, and Morgan were a top 5 class according to my old Street and Smith mag.

... and wasn't the thought that when we landed Rogers, Dominique Wilkins was going to follow because of some relationship or friendship between the two? Seems like a million years ago but I seem to recall many feeling we would also get Wilkins.

Wake had highly rated recruits before that in Tacy's tenure. We have been over this before.

Mike DePalma, Jerry Schellenburg (sp?) Larry Harrison and Fran McCaffrey were examples.

Speaking of national recruiting rankings, anyone have a recollection of how highly ranked the Childress\RoRo\Blucas class was ranked? Rodney was a 5* right? And Chill a 4* at least?

Wake had highly rated recruits before that in Tacy's tenure. We have been over this before.

Mike DePalma, Jerry Schellenburg (sp?) Larry Harrison and Fran McCaffrey were examples.

Charlie Floyd was Top 10.

Johnstone et al were followed by Danny Young, Rudd, Teachey, Green. There was a lot of Tacy fatigue at Wake. He wasn't a beloved personality and the roster was bare. The idea was new energy with a more appealing new coach. Of course, that plan really went badly off the tracks.

Who is Mike DePalma?

I'm assuming that you are referring to Mike Palma. If so, here are his outstanding career numbers at WF:

http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/individual.stats/player_stats/player1491.txt

Fran McCaffery was all-world here, too:

http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/individual.stats/player_stats/player1249.txt
Mike palma was a parade AA and mccaffrey was highly recruited too. Shellenberg was a top player in Indiana with an IU offer, Floyd was a top recruit, Harrison, Skip Brown...... Tacy did have a couple of diamonds in the rough but being in the big four was a huge recruiting draw back then.

The Johnstone/Helms/Rogers/Morgan class was a more highly ranked class. It was also the WFU class of 1982. Carl arrived at WF ten years before that (1st year at WF was 1972-73) and had to build the program from the ground up....with nothing to work with, players or otherwise. It took a lot of hard work to get the WF program back to where he could get a few players that other schools also wanted, for a change....like that class. 4 Big Four Championships, an Elite Eight in 1977 and national ranking as high as #3 in the nation finally got him to the position where he could get a few more highly rated recruits. And he was always fighting an uphill battle in recruiting, for reasons I've mentioned, as well as competing in a golden age of ACC basketball against some of the greatest coaches in ACC history including Dean Smith, Coach K, Lefty Driesell, Terry Holland, Norm Sloan, Jim Valvano & Bobby Cremins, etc.

Yeah cause I'm sure nobody wanted Jerry Schellenberg, Gil McGregor, or Charlie Davis ... all players recruited within the 5 years prior to Tacy's arrival. Wake's disadvantages on the basketball recruiting front have always been vastly overstated (often without mention of its many advantages). I doubt they were much greater then than they are now.

Edit: ChrisL and others beat me to it. Everyone thinks Tacy was a decent to good coach. Not sure why you feel the need to spin facts and quit on your alma mater for 20 years to convince people he was anything more than that. One irrational opinion regarding a former college basketball coach seems like enough.

Last edited:
Also, the John Toms affair didn't help Tacy. Tons was a so so small forward with a good touch that scored in double figures as a junior and was benched as a senior. Seems like his parents were upset as well. So he became ineffective and the team suffered in the process.

Everything I heard about Hammonds was that Tacy didn't like recruiting and got outworked by Cremins.

Back