Page 18 of 483 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868118 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 9644

Thread: Danny Manning Credibility Watch

  1. #341
    Any nervousness I had about the hiring has gone away with the recruiting. Keep bringing in top 20 classes and I will be happy to reserve judgment. Next year his first real class will be freshmen. Let's see where we are when they are juniors. I am confident in where we will be then.

  2. #342
    Overpaid Wax Extractor
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU Lurker View Post
    I fucking hate this argument. People, including RJ and other legendary basketball experts, were making the exact same argument five years ago. Not saying it is not right (although I am sure K would say he's a better coach now than he was during his first couple of years at Duke).

    For the record, we had more talent but less experience [name redacted]'s first year. With Manning's coaching, the team is definitely better but may not be reflected in the record due to a tougher schedule (next year's looks to be even tougher, a bad decision).

    He has recruited much better than expected so I am happy, but, like DV7, a little nervous that we hired someone with a very light resume, especially from a team building perspective.
    What part do you hate? The part about needing talent to be a top flight coach? It's not clear to me what parts you agree with and disagree with. Elite coaches can change outcomes, but at some point getting players into position to succeed is all a coach can do. It's up to the player to make the shots/steals/rebounds.

    Edit to add this is a somewhat separate thought:
    I'm befuddled by you guys who are such negative whiners that you can't give the coach more than a few games to prove himself. I understand that by it's nature a message board brings out speculation on topics, but questioning the coach this early into his tenure with this shit pile of talent is just asinine.
    Last edited by BacktoBack; 12-23-2014 at 05:59 PM.

  3. #343
    Quote Originally Posted by BacktoBack View Post
    What part do you hate? The part about needing talent to be a top flight coach? It's not clear to me what parts you agree with and disagree with. Elite coaches can change outcomes, but at some point getting players into position to succeed is all a coach can do. It's up to the player to make the shots/steals/rebounds. I'm befuddled by you guys who are such negative whiners that you can't give the coach more than a few games to prove himself. I understand that by it's nature a message board brings out speculation on topics, but questioning the coach this early into his tenure with this shit pile of talent is just asinine.
    I hate it because it's the same argument people made about [name redacted]. Also because it's a bad argument. You could tell that [name redacted] was doing an awful job and that other coaches could have done better. Similarly, you can see that other coaches could do worse than Manning...which likely means other coaches could do better too. Bad player talent makes it tougher to distinguish coaching talent, but not impossible, at least at a very high level. Given that, bold, absolute statements that are impossible to prove or disprove are...well...rj esque.

    Also, not sure what about my initial post or even this one deserves the negative whiner label.

  4. #344
    I am shocked that I got neg rep from a post I made on this thread by OldGoldBeard. This shit gets old the 4th fucking time you neg rep me you troll.
    Last edited by RaleighTriad; 12-23-2014 at 08:05 PM.

  5. #345
    Quote Originally Posted by WFU Lurker View Post
    I hate it because it's the same argument people made about [name redacted]. Also because it's a bad argument. You could tell that [name redacted] was doing an awful job and that other coaches could have done better. Similarly, you can see that other coaches could do worse than Manning...which likely means other coaches could do better too. Bad player talent makes it tougher to distinguish coaching talent, but not impossible, at least at a very high level. Given that, bold, absolute statements that are impossible to prove or disprove are...well...rj esque.

    Also, not sure what about my initial post or even this one deserves the negative whiner label.
    Less lurking, more posting.
    Football. Bloody Hell.

  6. #346
    I wasn't happy with the hire and thought we settled on getting Manning. That said, how anybody can be critical at this point is beyond me. I see a team with marginal to bad talent playing some semblance of team ball. We pass and distribute and get open shots and do that better than a lot of our top 25 teams did. If we can continue to do that while bringing in talent, we will be a good team. Yeah, we turn the ball over like a mofo, but I really can't blame Manning for our big man turning it over a dozen times.

    So I see that and see that everybody is pretty happy with the kids he has signed so far when he has had the opportunity to recruit. The kids he brought in on short notice that nobody got excited about look like they will be solid 4 year contributors. Buzz's guys look, by and large, like dead weight, but that's what he has to work with. A head case undersized big man and a shooting guard who can't shoot. Devin is probably a lost cause at this point. CMM will be better as a guy who can come off the bench, drive, and distribute.

  7. #347
    Frederic Fuckin' Chopin Why the Deac Not's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sorta Decatur, GA
    Posts
    2,830
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighTriad View Post
    I am shocked that I got neg rep from a post I made on this thread by OldGoldBeard. This shit gets old the 4th fucking time you neg rep me you troll.
    Word. Tis the season...to be cranky?

  8. #348
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighTriad View Post
    I am shocked that I got neg rep from a post I made on this thread by OldGoldBeard. This shit gets old the 4th fucking time you neg rep me you troll.
    maybe you should consider making better posts

  9. #349
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    96,530
    Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    I wasn't happy with the hire and thought we settled on getting Manning. That said, how anybody can be critical at this point is beyond me. I see a team with marginal to bad talent playing some semblance of team ball. We pass and distribute and get open shots and do that better than a lot of our top 25 teams did. If we can continue to do that while bringing in talent, we will be a good team. Yeah, we turn the ball over like a mofo, but I really can't blame Manning for our big man turning it over a dozen times.

    So I see that and see that everybody is pretty happy with the kids he has signed so far when he has had the opportunity to recruit. The kids he brought in on short notice that nobody got excited about look like they will be solid 4 year contributors. Buzz's guys look, by and large, like dead weight, but that's what he has to work with. A head case undersized big man and a shooting guard who can't shoot. Devin is probably a lost cause at this point. CMM will be better as a guy who can come off the bench, drive, and distribute.
    This should be one of the definitive posts on this topic.

  10. #350
    Overpaid Wax Extractor
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,332
    Agreed.
    Mobilerep

  11. #351
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    This should be one of the definitive posts on this topic.
    I disagree with the distinction between [name redacted] and Manning players. Devin is our best player, CMM is our second best, and McClinton is the most promising, in my opinion. I think that if Dinos were a "[name redacted] player" a lot on here would be much more critical of his play.

    In my opinion, the main problem with [name redacted]'s teams was a lack of team defense. They rarely got a stop when needed. Manning's team has played better defense, though not great, and that along with his recruiting has me optimistic.

  12. #352
    Big difference between [name redacted] and Manning players. One group was stupid enough to commit to a career loser. The other was not.

  13. #353
    Quote Originally Posted by pinochadeac View Post
    Big difference between [name redacted] and Manning players. One group was stupid enough to commit to a career loser. The other was not.
    I think both groups of players were smart to commit to Wake Forest.

  14. #354
    I don't. They only have a 4 year window to play college ball. It's a shame to waste that with [name redacted]. Really poor decision

  15. #355
    There is a hell of a lot of stupid on this thread.

  16. #356
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeForestRanger View Post
    There is a hell of a lot of stupid on this thread.
    It won't let me give you rep so I do it here. And the Wake Forest community would be better off this thread disappeared. Almost as good as if the thread never existed in the first place. Merry Christmas.

  17. #357
    I hope that everyone has a Merry Christmas. Most of all I want to see our teams do well in the next few weeks and give us hope for the future.

  18. #358
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
    I disagree with the distinction between [name redacted] and Manning players. Devin is our best player, CMM is our second best, and McClinton is the most promising, in my opinion. I think that if Dinos were a "[name redacted] player" a lot on here would be much more critical of his play.

    In my opinion, the main problem with [name redacted]'s teams was a lack of team defense. They rarely got a stop when needed. Manning's team has played better defense, though not great, and that along with his recruiting has me optimistic.
    There is no "main" problem with regard to [name redacted] coached teams. Just a laundry list of things he is not good a teaching. Add his inability to motivate, make in game decisions, mold young men and you have the Wellman made nightmare we all lived through. I am still she'll shocked and still have trouble getting excited for game days. I am interested in recruiting again so there is that. I am also warming up to wanting to see games again. Baby steps I guess.

  19. #359
    DM with 2 road wins in year 1. How many road wins in the last 4? 2 or 3?

  20. #360
    Quote Originally Posted by Deac83 View Post
    DM with 2 road wins in year 1. How many road wins in the last 4? 2 or 3?
    4 I believe. Remember Nebraska, VT and BC. Think there was one more.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •