• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

1 - if you have to tell someone how smart (attractive, talented, cool) then you probably aren't.

2 - this thread is a trainwreck and i keep reading.

3 - the guards continually ignoring the great position Moore gets in the lane is on Manning. Every time he gets waived off (for a bad, contested shot) that guy needs to be benched.

1 - if you have to tell someone how smart (attractive, talented, cool) then you probably aren't.

2 - this thread is a trainwreck and i keep reading.

3 - the guards continually ignoring the great position Moore gets in the lane is on Manning. Every time he gets waived off (for a bad, contested shot) that guy needs to be benched.

Absolutely on #3 (well, all of your points actually). Moore is getting good position a lot. Our passes are way too slow to him or we wave him off like you mention, run a screen or two and settle for an outside shot or contested runner in the lane by Childress, Mitch, et al...

That is coaching. Just hope we can turn it around and not have a bad season. Next year there are no more excuses left. We will be as deep and talented as we have been in nearly 10 years...

It's not coaching if the players get in position and don't execute. The sets have often gotten Wilbekin or Key in position to feed Doral and they don't do it. Brandon only throws into Doral if it's a lob.

Do you notice how often Wilbeken and Chill get open paths to the rim? How do you think that happens? Neither is really quick. Neither is an excellent ball-handler, but they keep getting into the lane easily and getting looks that they should either make or get fouled on. Neither makes the designed interior passes that are there.

How do these things happen?

Not disagreeing really. I get tour point.

Just saying it is on Manning, at this point in the season, if passing to Moore is not a focus. The guards need to understand that even with good position he can pass it back out for a better shot when defenders collapse on the giant center camped in the lane. He had a great pass back out for a wide open 3 in the first.

It's not coaching if the players get in position and don't execute. The sets have often gotten Wilbekin or Key in position to feed Doral and they don't do it. Brandon only throws into Doral if it's a lob.

Do you notice how often Wilbeken and Chill get open paths to the rim? How do you think that happens? Neither is really quick. Neither is an excellent ball-handler, but they keep getting into the lane easily and getting looks that they should either make or get fouled on. Neither makes the designed interior passes that are there.

How do these things happen?

Same way LD always had open 3-pt shots on the baseline?

News flash. The question of Manning's credibility as Head Coach was answered with a lengthy extension to his contract by our Athletic Director. It was announced November 25, 2017 following a 2-4 OOC start to the season. A new thread title seems appropriate. That said, continue your discussion.

True. The prior generation royally screwed this up. We can make it close to right by building the proper building (1st since 1935) but we are about to miss our window and join them.

Yes, the number floated is 80 million.

Well, if we spend $80M, it shouldn't bear a lot of resemblance to the Joel we know.

Well, if we spend $80M, it shouldn't bear a lot of resemblance to the Joel we know.

Oh yes it will. It will be a 10k seat beheamoth in a 14k footprint with super seats obligations still in place. We need smaller in the proper footprint designed to have students in the first few rows.

Dr's advice on chasing pussy on a Danny Manning credibility thread is one of my fave ever board moments. If one of you fuckers runs him off I will come to you in the dark of night and I will enact a cruel reckoning upon you.

KenPom just published some work on home court advantage. Took the last 60 conference games for each school and adjusted for differences in margin at home and on the road.

Surprise is that Wake has the #1 home court in the ACC over that span (+4.1, 16th overall).

#2 in the ACC? Syracuse is +3.7 (57th overall).

Duke is 5th in the ACC and #101 overall.

Pretty clear we are #1 in the ACC because we’ve been absolutely abysmal on the road in the ACC, and just bad at home. But still, it’s interesting.

***No link to the above because you have to be a subscriber. But I can attempt to answer any questions about it.

My favorite part of this argument was when DR put forward Villanova as support for his argument when they play just about all of their games in a 21K seat arena 33 miles from campus.

Last edited:
Here's a question for you- When you see how many times there are open lanes to the basket for Wilbekin and Chill when playing with Bryant, what do you think the results will be with Hoard or Muscius slashing to the basket in those lanes?

Last edited:
Dr's advice on chasing pussy on a Danny Manning credibility thread is one of my fave ever board moments. If one of you fuckers runs him off I will come to you in the dark of night and I will enact a cruel reckoning upon you.

Sharks do feed at night according to "Jaws."

Here's a question for you- When you see how many times there are open lanes to the basket for Wilbekin and Chill when playing with Bryant, what do you think the results will be with Hoard or Muscius slashing to the basket in those lanes?

No on is disagreeing with this point you keep making. However, those guys aren't walking through the door this season. Adjustments need to be made now to deal with the current situation.

My biggest issue with Manning is that he looks really stubborn. He thinks his best team will include a 4 guard line up. He sticks with that through some terrible early season losses despite all evidence that its not working. His finally forced (through foul trouble) to do something else and that shows signs of working. He is ignoring Doral (by not sitting kids that waive him off - they will get the messege quickly and be back in). The team we thought we would have pre season is the team we saw go toe to toe with UNC yesterday. That was a winnable road game (like every other loss this season) that was blown, in part, by poor coaching choices.

This is not to say manning can't be a good coach. But he is making a lot of mistakes now while he learns, on the job, to be a head coach in the ACC.

Oh yes it will. It will be a 10k seat beheamoth in a 14k footprint with super seats obligations still in place. We need smaller in the proper footprint designed to have students in the first few rows.

How do you handle the super seat issue? Say thanks for your support since 1991 and give them first rights to seats behind the student section?

No on is disagreeing with this point you keep making. However, those guys aren't walking through the door this season. Adjustments need to be made now to deal with the current situation.

My biggest issue with Manning is that he looks really stubborn. He thinks his best team will include a 4 guard line up. He sticks with that through some terrible early season losses despite all evidence that its not working. His finally forced (through foul trouble) to do something else and that shows signs of working. He is ignoring Doral (by not sitting kids that waive him off - they will get the messege quickly and be back in). The team we thought we would have pre season is the team we saw go toe to toe with UNC yesterday. That was a winnable road game (like every other loss this season) that was blown, in part, by poor coaching choices.

This is not to say manning can't be a good coach. But he is making a lot of mistakes now while he learns, on the job, to be a head coach in the ACC.

First of all, let's talk about Doral. If he sits Wilbekin, Chill and Woods for not passing to Doral, who is going to play? Danny should get on the guards about this, but, like many aspects on this team, there's a lot of gray area.

As to the "kind of team we thought we'd have preseason". We lost almost 37 ppg in shooting. We lost our two best big guys and a useful, tough wing. Coming in we had two potential stars and some projects. One of the stars was always going to take time to acclimate to the American game (and has shown strong, consistent improvement). Realistically, this was not going to be a 20 win team without every player improving dramatically and that is totally unrealistic. To get to 18 would have taken a lot of things falling into place.

We were grossly undermanned yesterday, yet it came down to missing some FTs. How isn't that good coaching? I realize that most of the board are unrealistic, but Danny coached a hell of a game yesterday.

I'm not saying Danny is a great coach, but he's not anywhere near as bad as most here keep posting that he is. Of all of Skip's quotes, the one that fits the most is, "It's not about the Xs and Os. It's about the Jimmies and the Joes."

Next year will show a lot. For the first time, Danny will have a fully talented and potentially full-sized squad. We will be replacing Wilbken's minutes with a 5* player. We will have at least one 4* player coming off the bench. Sarr will gain some weight and experience. For the first time, we won't playing lots/a majority of minutes with three guys 6'3 or under playing together.

You are making extreme arguments. I'm not saying sit them a whole game.

I'm saying show film pre game and tell them they will be pulled. If it happens in game put them on the bench, tell them why they were pulled. Plenty of people to hold the fort for a minute or two. The rest of the guys will see and learn. Waiving off a kid shooting 85% with a decent shot at drawing a foul is poor play and needs a response. I'm confident the whole team will learn quickly. I'm also pretty sure it will improve, slowly, during the season. Manning appears to make slow and steady changes. He needs to make them quicker.

I'm also not saying Manning is a terrible coach. Just that he had limited head coaching experience and is learning on the job. I also gave a concrete example of what frustrates me about him as a coach (stubborn and slow to make corrections). I do think he is improving. I also think he did the same thing last year. Slow and steady improvement over the course of the season after some baffling early season choices (line ups etc).

And yes, yesterday was what I expected from the team this year. Not liberty. Losing by 4 on the road would have been a loss we understood. Being in position to steal that game makes those early season losses even worse.

They were in the game the entire time. Mostly engaged. Solid team play over all with some of the same mistakes we have seen from the same players. Occasional hero ball, poor shot selection at times, taking plays off. Crawford not playing as well as last year has been mitigated by Moore being ahead of schedule. Involving Doral Moore will open up room for craw and the other guards.

Where did I say sit them sit the whole game?

How about this for a reason? If Danny becomes Captain Hook, with marginal players coming in, everyone is looking over their shoulders and not playing as freely. Plus, a game can turn in those 1-3 minutes. It's much easier to do when you can put a good replacement in.

You can only make "certain corrections" if you have talent to replace the "culprit".

It's not a simple either or- either Liberty or a great game. No one accepts or condones the way we started the season. It sucked. The players and coaches should be held accountable.

Craw missed a dunk yesterday, but he had a really good game - 17 points,3 boards, 5 assists, a steal, zero TOs.

BTW, how much of Doral's improvement is Craw being the one guy who gets him the ball the most?

My bad, only the negative about Craw counts here.

Back