• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Lol he can’t be serious with that.
I mean, this is a guy who said this about [name redacted]:

I hate where it is today. I think it will start turning around in 12/13.

No matter what happens, we'll be in better shape for a new coach than we were when [name redacted] took the job.
The man's stupidity simply knows no bounds.

we're probably going to beat dook this weekend because why not

I'm really starting to shift into the #ManOut camp, but have realized it's a completely futile place to be. There is zero chance we fire a college basketball legend 1 (or even 2) years off a tournament appearance, where we lost 3 starters including an NBA ROY candidate, with a top 15 recruiting class incoming. That doesn't fully excuse the garbage we're seeing on the court this season, but it's more than enough reason for Wellman to retain Manning. And it probably should be.

No one cares about Wake right now - we're worse than Switzerland, we're like Slovenia or something - and the optics of such a firing would be absolutely horrible. This year feels somewhat similar to 2005-06 - perceived "good" players with preseason tournament (or beyond in 05) aspirations that completely shit the bed.

Once JC left, this was going to be a transition year. That said, watching the team this year does not give much confidence that Manning will turn things around next year, even with some new talent.

Definitely knew the loss of JC and Dinos would cause a step back, but not this much. Manning has his strengths - recruiting, coaching up and developing big men, runs a clean program; and his weaknesses - coaching defense, in-game adjustments, improving and developing guards.

What remains is the question, what better alternatives does Wake currently have? IDK myself (can't think of any great coaches currently looking for a job). Maybe the fix is as simple as getting some different assistant coaches who can help cover his weaknesses next season. Maybe it can't be fixed. I don't think it is unreasonable for Wake fans the have the expectation that we make the NCAA tournament consistently and occasionally make some noise in the ACC and NCAAs. These sub .500 seasons cannot continue.

Would be nice to know what each assistant coach's duties are, maybe the blame is less on Manning and more on Childress or Woodberry? Any inside info would be great.

Definitely knew the loss of JC and Dinos would cause a step back, but not this much. Manning has his strengths - recruiting, coaching up and developing big men, runs a clean program; and his weaknesses - coaching defense, in-game adjustments, improving and developing guards.

What remains is the question, what better alternatives does Wake currently have? IDK myself (can't think of any great coaches currently looking for a job). Maybe the fix is as simple as getting some different assistant coaches who can help cover his weaknesses next season. Maybe it can't be fixed. I don't think it is unreasonable for Wake fans the have the expectation that we make the NCAA tournament consistently and occasionally make some noise in the ACC and NCAAs. These sub .500 seasons cannot continue.

Would be nice to know what each assistant coach's duties are, maybe the blame is less on Manning and more on Childress or Woodberry? Any inside info would be great.

This needs to be the start, IMO. HOpefully Wellman does something useful and pushes DM to upgrade his XO talent on the bench.

The game yesterday was pretty grim. I have no clue what the game plan was from Manning and company, but I am shocked that we didn't go inside more, especially with the height advantage we had. It seemed like we really started clicking when we were looking for the extra pass, but other times, we got to selfish and either took bad shots or tried to be a hero.

As poorly as the players executed yesterday, Danny really needs to reign some guys in so that we can play more like a team.

Also, defense was still an issue.

One thing that has to be on Danny is the decision to run the very first offensive set to get Chaundee a look for an attempt at a three. In my opinion that was a very high risk play with not a lot of upside. Yes, Chaundee had a nice shooting game last time out. Still not a good idea to put a freshmen in the position of taking the first shot of the game.

IMHO, he should have made sure to get Doral a touch on that first set. Crawford should have been made to understand that Doral had to get the ball before anyone esle shot, or BC would be checking for splinters before he played again. Doral had like 6 inches of height and a lot more reach on any and all of the VaTech guys. He should have gotten the ball until he had to come out from dunk fatigue.

Word to the team should have been to get the biggest guy on the court the ball. Early, often,late and anytime in between.

Word to the team should have been to get the biggest guy on the court the ball. Early, often,late and anytime in between.

I'll always remember what Odom says he told his team one halftime when Duncan was playing. "We have a hundred different ways to run our offense. Every one of them goes through #21." (May not be an exact quote, but the idea is there.)

Just dumbfounded that big guy All Everything #1 NBA pick DM doesn't run the O through his big guy Doral. :tard:

One thing that has to be on Danny is the decision to run the very first offensive set to get Chaundee a look for an attempt at a three. In my opinion that was a very high risk play with not a lot of upside. Yes, Chaundee had a nice shooting game last time out. Still not a good idea to put a freshmen in the position of taking the first shot of the game.

IMHO, he should have made sure to get Doral a touch on that first set. Crawford should have been made to understand that Doral had to get the ball before anyone esle shot, or BC would be checking for splinters before he played again. Doral had like 6 inches of height and a lot more reach on any and all of the VaTech guys. He should have gotten the ball until he had to come out from dunk fatigue.

There's never any consequences for bad decision making on the court. I don't see how you get the point across to some players unless you sit them down for those repeated bad decisions. While Dean Smith drove me nuts, one thing the man was good at was yanking players who made the wrong pass, took the ill-advised shot, etc. A sub would be headed to the scorer's table before the exiting player could get back down the court.

No consequences except for losing. You would hope that would be enough.

No consequences except for losing. You would hope that would be enough.

Sure, but connecting individual actions to the overall results isn't always easy for a 20 year old, especially when it's your own actions. The coaches need to elucidate those connections.

With JC leaving we knew it would be a transition year (W & L's).

The issue is how we are losing these games. (Don't get me started on who we are losing to)

We still haven't had a game where we just get boat raced from start to finish... Can't wait for the board reaction to that. Could happen tomorrow (but I suspect not).

Back