• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

He was okay defending in the paint against other bigs, but he had no shot blocking ability and could not step out and guard a wing at all. He was only truly valuable if he was on one of his multiple 3-point shooting games.

Absolutely agree with this statement. Dinos had way more positives than negatives though, and would be especially useful on this years squad.

Go back and watch Dinos every possession the Kansas St game. He was AWFUL. We don't miss him that much. Sarr has way more talent than him, DM just won't play him enough.

Small sample size, much?

We could say the exact same thing about Collins and everyone on the team during that game. No one on our team has played defense for 3 years now. Dinos vastly improved his overall game as his career went on. Good rebounding, above average shooting, stretch the defense. It's delusional to think that Sarr would take more than limited spot minutes from Dinos this season. Sarr has more upside than Dinos but is average at best this season.

Wow I just had to come back here to this one. We don't miss him that much? You're off your rocker.

I don't think Sarr would take minutes away from Dinos because DM way overinflated Dinos' ability. Dinos just wasn't that good. I could go through many games where he couldn't guard anyone and couldn't hit the rim. At Xavier is another example. I can give a pretty big sample size but don't care enough to do it. LSU and Louisville are two games I can remember where he actually did something. And we lost by four points to K State, not everyone sucked. But Dinos did.

I don't think Sarr would take minutes away from Dinos because DM way overinflated Dinos' ability. Dinos just wasn't that good. I could go through many games where he couldn't guard anyone and couldn't hit the rim. At Xavier is another example. I can give a pretty big sample size but don't care enough to do it. LSU and Louisville are two games I can remember where he actually did something. And we lost by four points to K State, not everyone sucked. But Dinos did.

Dinos is getting paid 7 figures to play basketball. He has to be pretty good to get that.

Lol, VT has one player over 6'6 on their whole roster after Sy left in early September, and they're doing quite serviceable. Some serious excuse makers on here. Embarrassing.

I was more of asking what aspects of their game you're worried about, should've been more specific.

All of them seem to have really high ceilings. Mucius, imparticular, has been talked about by recruiting analysts as having a ridiculously high ceiling and not being very close to it.

I haven't seen enough of their games to be concerned about any particular aspect. My concerns are based on what I've seen under Manning after 3.5 seasons. Shooting, defense, and overall basketball IQ are my concerns for current players that haven't been addressed.

As far as Collins, he did improve, but his improvement could have simply been from being a year older (remember he's still only 20 years old) and having a chance to actually play.

Lol, VT has one player over 6'6 on their whole roster after Sy left in early September, and they're doing quite serviceable. Some serious excuse makers on here. Embarrassing.

I'm not making excuses. I've ripped Danny and I've ripped a couple players, out of Creamy character.

For anyone to think that we wouldn't be a much, much better team with Dinos, is lying to themselves. There's no excuse for the 3-4 losses we should've had but we wouldn't have had them if he had Dinos. That's not an excuse, it's a fact.

I'm not making excuses. I've ripped Danny and I've ripped a couple players, out of Creamy character.

For anyone to think that we wouldn't be a much, much better team with Dinos, is lying to themselves. There's no excuse for the 3-4 losses we should've had but we wouldn't have had them if he had Dinos. That's not an excuse, it's a fact.

No it's not. If Dinos was half as good as you claim, we wouldn't have struggled to even make the damn tournament last year and then lay and egg when we got there. He was unclutch his entire career his last game was his career in a nutshell.

It's impossible to prove a negative. So, it's not a "fact". It's purely subjective guesswork.

It's impossible to prove a negative. So, it's not a "fact". It's purely subjective guesswork.

Do you think we would have lost to drake, liberty and Ga southern if we had Dinos on this years team?

No it's not. If Dinos was half as good as you claim, we wouldn't have struggled to even make the damn tournament last year and then lay and egg when we got there. He was unclutch his entire career his last game was his career in a nutshell.

Man, I sure would like a job that pays me a million a year to be unclutch.

Do you think we would have lost to drake, liberty and Ga southern if we had Dinos on this years team?

Man, I sure would like a job that pays me a million a year to be unclutch.

"Thinking" and stating things as "fact" are entirely different matters. Do I think Dinos might have helped win one of those games? Possibly. I fail to see what this exercise accomplishes. My opinion is that John Collins and Dinos masked some really ineffective coaching that has been with us for a very long time.

"Thinking" and stating things as "fact" are entirely different matters. Do I think Dinos might have helped win one of those games? Possibly. I fail to see what this exercise accomplishes. My opinion is that John Collins and Dinos masked some really ineffective coaching that has been with us for a very long time.

We agree on the coaching.

Dinos was a case of "don't know what you've got til' it's gone". He was better than many here give him credit for. He was a team guy, rebounded, had to respect his shot, and was/is leaps and bounds better than any PF we currently have. He'd bring ACC level talent to our biggest position of need. I'm not saying you don't, but to me, anyone who has watched a lot of basketball would realize how big of a difference maker he'd be on this years team. Blue grass is dismissing that fact.

Dinos was a case of "don't know what you've got til' it's gone". He was better than many here give him credit for. He was a team guy, rebounded, had to respect his shot, and was/is leaps and bounds better than any PF we currently have. He'd bring ACC level talent to our biggest position of need. I'm not saying you don't, but to me, anyone who has watched a lot of basketball would realize how big of a difference maker he'd be on this years team. Blue grass is dismissing that fact.

Dinos was a mediocre college player. I am surprised that he got what he did to play in Greece but I am happy for him. Lots of players had been paid large sums and never worked out. Hopefully Dinos does work out.

Maybe we win some of those games because Manning would not have tried to play 4 small guards together but that was on Manning. He had several serviceable options that likely would have provided the rebounding and defense necessary to beat second rate teams.

This team has way more problems than missing a player that would likely never get any all conference votes.

Dinos being a scoring threat down low and from three kept teams from using the man guarding Dinos (usually their second biggest guy) to double Collins. Because Dinos had the ability to make them pay. Thus teams had to double Collins with the third biggest guy. Much harder to bring a guy from guarding a three on the perimeter to doubling the post. Also got Ariens a lot of open looks. Dinos was also more than serviceable as the second best rebounder on the team. Dinos getting something like 7 reb and 12 points would look good compared to TT getting 5 and 5.

Dinos improved his defense as his career went on. He's no worse of a defender than Thompson. There's no one on our team who would take minutes from Dinos. Doral and Dinos in the post would have been more than adequate front court for us this season. Dinos was also a sneaky good passer.

Yes he is a pro. This would've been his jump year, and went for the money.

Dinos being a scoring threat down low and from three kept teams from using the man guarding Dinos (usually their second biggest guy) to double Collins. Because Dinos had the ability to make them pay. Thus teams had to double Collins with the third biggest guy. Much harder to bring a guy from guarding a three on the perimeter to doubling the post. Also got Ariens a lot of open looks. Dinos was also more than serviceable as the second best rebounder on the team. Dinos getting something like 7 reb and 12 points would look good compared to TT getting 5 and 5.

Right. I can't believe people are disputing the fact that Dinos wouldn't make a huge difference on this team. I guess our teams low IQ is rubbing off on the fanbase.

Right. I can't believe people are disputing the fact that Dinos wouldn't make a huge difference on this team. I guess our teams low IQ is rubbing off on the fanbase.

He would have been helpful but was a defensive liability. The already weak defense would have been worse. Sarr is a much better defender.
Defense is just as important as offense and Dinos might well give up defensively almost as much as he added offensively. His rebounding would have helped.

Back