• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

He would have been helpful but was a defensive liability. The already weak defense would have been worse. Sarr is a much better defender.
Defense is just as important as offense and Dinos might well give up defensively almost as much as he added offensively. His rebounding would have helped.

Our defense would not be any worse than it is right now if you replace Thompson with Dinos. Not a chance.

Do you think we would have lost to drake, liberty and Ga southern if we had Dinos on this years team?

Man, I sure would like a job that pays me a million a year to be unclutch.

We should not have lost to those teams with or with out Dinos.

Right, and people are arguing that he wouldn't have been a huge difference maker for us this season.

Creamy, I usually think you are spot on w/your insight and analysis, but a "huge" difference maker?? Collins was the huge loss. Dinos is like any other starting 5th man that leaves a program. Yes, the team would be better with him, but I don't see him making that big of an impact this season. Do we suddenly beat lousy ass teams early on and win against BC & VT w/Dinos?? Maybe. Honestly, I don't know because I'm not sure if Manning would have had the right rotation w/him in the line-up if he was available.

Maybe I missed something the last 3 years w/Dinos, but he would have taken minutes from Thompson, Sarr, and a Wilby/Chill and am not seeing a huge gain. If he was a leader on the court, a motivator, a great practice player, etc. (things that the casual fan is not privvy too) than my comments are way off. Granted he would have had another year of development, but his limitations & liabilities were there. I wish he was here and would love to push the reset on this sideways year, but we need to move forward and play the hell out of Sarr and Chaundee!

I think Manning knows what a successful program should look like given his pedigree. He’s building a team with varying talents, recruits well, appeals to the majority of the fan base and knows that he needs the backing of the AD, University president and most importantly, donors and corporate sponsors that back Wake MBB. What he clearly has no idea how to do is coach or make adjustments during a game. Everything looks ok until the ball goes up and then it’s like watching Helen Keller find her way out of a brier patch.

It sucks because he’s a good representative of MSD and I personally like him. It’s just becoming clear that he’s in way over his head and we don’t have the luxury for him to learn on the job for the next 10 years. Duke is going to embarrass us tomorrow...

I am still pro-Manning. He is bringing in talent and although I am not sold on his in game coaching, I am still optimistic. Losing JC and Dino was a huge hit entering the season. Imo he has been piecing rosters together until this season and their loss was tough. Early losses are inexcuasable but I expected a bad seasons, so meh.

I am sorry to disagree with some, but Moore is not a guy to run the offense through. He is a junk opportunist. He doesn’t have post moves or fluidity. He is much improved, but not an answer.

Amazing how the guy who devised a game plan good enough to beat Boeheim's vaunted zone suddenly has the IQ of a rock.

Creamy, I usually think you are spot on w/your insight and analysis, but a "huge" difference maker?? Collins was the huge loss. Dinos is like any other starting 5th man that leaves a program. Yes, the team would be better with him, but I don't see him making that big of an impact this season. Do we suddenly beat lousy ass teams early on and win against BC & VT w/Dinos?? Maybe. Honestly, I don't know because I'm not sure if Manning would have had the right rotation w/him in the line-up if he was available.

Maybe I missed something the last 3 years w/Dinos, but he would have taken minutes from Thompson, Sarr, and a Wilby/Chill and am not seeing a huge gain. If he was a leader on the court, a motivator, a great practice player, etc. (things that the casual fan is not privvy too) than my comments are way off. Granted he would have had another year of development, but his limitations & liabilities were there. I wish he was here and would love to push the reset on this sideways year, but we need to move forward and play the hell out of Sarr and Chaundee!

Dinos, outside of his abilities as a player, was a huge loss because he decided so late in the year, he was a good rebounder (that we lacked through the first few games), and we had to change our offense after losing our entire starting front court. Yes, Dinos would’ve made a world of difference for this team and we likely win our first three games. It is speculative, but speculative based on his production and probable improvement - rather than the speculation we’d still lose the first three games with him based on feelings.

I am still pro-Manning. He is bringing in talent and although I am not sold on his in game coaching, I am still optimistic. Losing JC and Dino was a huge hit entering the season. Imo he has been piecing rosters together until this season and their loss was tough. Early losses are inexcuasable but I expected a bad seasons, so meh.

I am sorry to disagree with some, but Moore is not a guy to run the offense through. He is a junk opportunist. He doesn’t have post moves or fluidity. He is much improved, but not an answer.

I agree with all of this. Good post

Dinos, outside of his abilities as a player, was a huge loss because he decided so late in the year, he was a good rebounder (that we lacked through the first few games), and we had to change our offense after losing our entire starting front court. Yes, Dinos would’ve made a world of difference for this team and we likely win our first three games. It is speculative, but speculative based on his production and probable improvement - rather than the speculation we’d still lose the first three games with him based on feelings.

I'm sorry, but there were rumors of Dinos leaving after his sophomore season. We should have been more prepared that there would be a chance he would bolt after last year. In fact, the closer you look at Dinos' stats there were a lot of games w/5 points and 6 boards yet playing a lot more minutes than others this year. I agree that it's a big loss, but it's not the reason we have underachieved IMO.

I like Danny and love the team. The staff has to figure out a way to motivate and game plan that will maximize our abilities against our opponents. They did that vs. Cuse and UNC - Now do it today vs. Duke!

I'm sorry, but there were rumors of Dinos leaving after his sophomore season. We should have been more prepared that there would be a chance he would bolt after last year. In fact, the closer you look at Dinos' stats there were a lot of games w/5 points and 6 boards yet playing a lot more minutes than others this year. I agree that it's a big loss, but it's not the reason we have underachieved IMO.

I like Danny and love the team. The staff has to figure out a way to motivate and game plan that will maximize our abilities against our opponents. They did that vs. Cuse and UNC - Now do it today vs. Duke!

It was reported that Dinos told the staff he was returning what, 3-4 days before announcing he’s leaving?

I agree that Dinos left us high and dry. However, a program loses kids all the time due to injuries, suspensions, under-performance, etc. The staff (IMO) had plenty of time to address his loss and game plan his absence. NC State lost Johnson and goes out and beats Duke (#2) & Clemson (#19). UVA kicks a 5 star off the team. I'm sure they were counting on him to provide help this year.... Great coaches overcome player losses - good ones do if they find the right combination - we haven't (yet).

It was reported that Dinos told the staff he was returning what, 3-4 days before announcing he’s leaving?

The fact that there was a report that he was staying was a clue there was a chance he was leaving.

Back