• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

The irony really is that if JC and Dinos were still here, this would be a very competitive team and the people bitching about Manning would be saying he had the program in the right direction.

IF they were still here, DM would still be a crappy game coach. Admit it. He sucks. It’s like a trial lawyer who is good at discovery and pre-trial but can’t hit his ass with both hands in the courtroom. You have to be able to think on your feet and adjust to what’s happening. DM has failed miserably at that so far.

IF they were still here, DM would still be a crappy game coach. Admit it. He sucks. It’s like a trial lawyer who is good at discovery and pre-trial but can’t hit his ass with both hands in the courtroom. You have to be able to think on your feet and adjust to what’s happening. DM has failed miserably at that so far.

Great trial lawyers usually must try a lot of cases before they become great

The irony really is that if JC and Dinos were still here, this would be a very competitive team and the people bitching about Manning would be saying he had the program in the right direction.

This is not the 1980's. Top players go pro. Top coaches win anyway.

This is not the 1980's. Top players go pro. Top coaches win anyway.

Exactly. I don't understand the hypotheticals about how we'd be with JC here. He was good enough to go and like ever player in his situation, he left. That's why you have to have depth. Instead of having a big ready to step up, we have SJM taking up space on the bench contributing nothing.

Exactly. I don't understand the hypotheticals about how we'd be with JC here. He was good enough to go and like ever player in his situation, he left. That's why you have to have depth. Instead of having a big ready to step up, we have SJM taking up space on the bench contributing nothing.

When you recruit a 3 star player and he advances so quickly, it’s good but it creates a hole. It’s not like we’re reloading like a top 15 program.

So the argument is that it’s too much to expect a coach to develop more than one player at a time.

Great trial lawyers usually must try a lot of cases before they become great

Not necessarily. Experience helps but either you have a knack for it or you don’t. John Edwards hit grand slam home runs right from the start but he had a great mentor, Wade Smith.Having a great mentor is a huge advantage in both trial law and coaching. Roy Williams and K had Dean Smith and Bobby Knight, respectively. But once they have gotten into the heat of battle, they have had the instincts to make the right decision most of the time. And they have personalities that translate well into coaching. They do it a different way, but they have the ability to motivate players to play hard and smart. Dave Odom learned under Jerry Steele and Terry Holland and had a great bench presence. I just don’t see that from DM. You come away stretching your head after about every game he coaches.

So the argument is that it’s too much to expect a coach to develop more than one player at a time.

You’re just full of bad takes today, huh?

I didn’t realize it would be such a hard concept for a lot of people to grasp that it’s extraordinarily difficult to replace 3 starters in the same year - one a first round nba draft pick and ROY candidate, another making millions playing professionally in Greece - in the direct middle of a full-scale rebuild.

Why is it difficult?

To be completely honest with you, Danny did a hell of a job getting Sarr to come here something like 2 weeks after John Collins declared for the draft. That’s pretty phenomenal. So, at this point in time, we are at our scholarship limit for 2017. Danny, therefore, is not recruiting anyone from the grad transfer market to come in for the 2017 year - right? Right. Enter: Dinos leaving on JULY 26TH. So he somehow has to find someone to come in an play power forward for us less than a month before schools begins - from an incredibly depleted grad transfer market (obviously). If you think about it, it’s really not that hard of a concept. Especially for a graduate of a prestigious school like Wake Forest.

What is wrong with some here. Rebuilding teams can not reload like Duke, Or the other shitholes. I do understand and agree with in-game coaching. You can’t just cut bait with Manning, he has made improvements. It may just take more time. Better players with help cover in-game deficiencies until he gets more experience. I am still glass half full. If the players stop coming...

Not to mention the incredibly simple fact that your first real class in a rebuild is usually your foundation to being successful in years 3-5. Losing the best out of that bunch is obviously a huge hit not easily recovered from. If Manning can somehow bring in EJ Montgomery then that will be a work of fucking art on his part.

Not to mention the incredibly simple fact that your first real class in a rebuild is usually your foundation to being successful in years 3-5. Losing the best out of that bunch is obviously a huge hit not easily recovered from. If Manning can somehow bring in EJ Montgomery then that will be a work of fucking art on his part.

Nobody is arguing that Danny is not a good recruiter. It’s what he does with that talent once it gets here. Talent alone will not get the job done and if DM doesn’t start showing some success as a HC, those recruits will stop coming...

He’s got one, maybe two more years IMHO, to show that he’s got what it takes. So far, he really hasn’t shown that at all, regardless of the situation and excuses that many seem to be happy to make for him. Time to put up or shut up...

You’re just full of bad takes today, huh?

I didn’t realize it would be such a hard concept for a lot of people to grasp that it’s extraordinarily difficult to replace 3 starters in the same year - one a first round nba draft pick and ROY candidate, another making millions playing professionally in Greece - in the direct middle of a full-scale rebuild.

Come on PH, you are smarter than this. Lose 3 starters from team where Craw was a very good #2 and Chill was filling in behind him on a TWO Guard lineup to where they both now feel they have to carry us as part of 4 guards.

What? This is definitely a new one.

I have to go against you on this one, Strick. I made this statement a couple days back, pretty much verbatim to what michdeac said.

We aren’t one of the lucky 15-20 programs in the country that reloads with elite talent every year. We’ve never had that luxury in Wake hoops history. An early departure, especially to our star player, can really set us back. Elite coaches, which we also don’t have, are able to fill the void with X’s and O’s.

My take on Danny is that he is an above average developer of talent and recruits and parents like him enough that we’ll field some pretty good teams whie he’s here. There is no excuse for our record this year and it surprises me, despite the fact I don’t think Danny is an exceptional game coach. The point stands that until we are landing 2-3 top 50 players every recruiting class, we are going to have yeats like this one under Danny’s tutelage, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Nobody is arguing that Danny is not a good recruiter. It’s what he does with that talent once it gets here. Talent alone will not get the job done and if DM doesn’t start showing some success as a HC, those recruits will stop coming...

He’s got one, maybe two more years IMHO, to show that he’s got what it takes. So far, he really hasn’t shown that at all, regardless of the situation and excuses that many seem to be happy to make for him. Time to put up or shut up...

I definitely agree with this. I think he’s better at game coaching than some here (because some think he’s the worst in game of all time, seemingly). I think he’s pretty average. It would be in bad practice to not take into account how huge losing three starters off a rebuilding team is. Two of those unexpected - one, you recruited someone who looks to have the makings a stud that just isn’t there yet in his first year. The other, a patchwork done by manning out of necessity in a depleted grad transfer market.

I do agree he has next year, and depending on the results the year after. If he does not improve and/or cannot keep up his recruiting ability he’s shown this year and last then I agree it will be time for him to go.

Thats a pretty weak take for an intelligent dude like yourself. Not trying to be a dick because I agree with a lot of what you post. That’s not what we are saying. We had a shit roster for a couple of seasons. Danny is trying to flip the roster to where we are bringing in 2-3 too 50 players a class. While he’s building the roster, we are going to have setbacks like this unfortunately.

As mentioned in previous post, an elite coach can compensate with average talent and keep his team afloat(NIT level/Bubble), but it’s been well established that Danny is not that coach at this point in his coaching career.

Thats a pretty weak take for an intelligent dude like yourself. Not trying to be a dick because I agree with a lot of what you post. That’s not what we are saying. We had a shit roster for a couple of seasons. Danny is trying to flip the roster to where we are bringing in 2-3 too 50 players a class. While he’s building the roster, we are going to have setbacks like this unfortunately.

As mentioned in previous post, an elite coach can compensate with average talent and keep his team afloat(NIT level/Bubble), but it’s been well established that Danny is not that coach at this point in his coaching career.

This is why I said bad takes “today”. I generally agree with a lot of what Ph posts but he’s seemed overly knee-jerk today and posted things likely out of anger. Happens to the best of us - has definitely happened to me.

Back