• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Part of our reality on the recruiting trail is that we are lucky if we can get two top recruits in one year. Prior to this year many saw Chaundee providing immediate help. We've only seen a couple of flashes but he clearly didn't hit the ground running. We are heavily dependent on our top recruits making a significant contribution from game 1 that hasn't happened this year.

Yet we are expecting next year's class to save Manning.

It's just one example of teams losing some of their best players and improving the following year. By no means am I saying we should be better without Collins. Obviously not. But if we had a coach who had a clue how to coach defense, we'd be able to withstand losing a player of Collins' offensive talent and be better than 83 and not on our way to something like 3-15 or 4-14.

State didn't expect to lose Maverick Rowan and Markell Johnson. FSU probably didn't either losing both Bacon and XRM. And VT certainly didn't expect to a lose a guy who shot 48.7% from 3 to injury or one of their two bigs, leaving them with one guy over 6'6 on their whole roster. Yet VT is 48th.

Just more excuse-making.

Last edited:
It's just one example of teams losing some of their best players and improving the following year. By no means am I saying we should be better without Collins. Obviously not. But if we had a coach who had a clue how to coach defense, we'd be able to withstand losing a player of Collins' offensive talent and be better than 83 and not on our way to something like 3-15 or 4-14.

State didn't expect to lose Maverick Rowan and Markell Johnson. FSU probably didn't either losing both Bacon and XRM. And VT certainly didn't expect to a lose a guy who shot 48.7% from 3 to injury or one of their two bigs, leaving them with one guy over 6'6 on their whole roster. Yet VT is 48th.

Just more excuse-making.

I'm not making excuses. Nowhere have I said Danny is a smart coach. These times aren't sunshine and roses. It sucks and we've been irrelevant for far too long. Danny didn't recruit any college ready bigs, thinking he'd still have Collins and/or Dino's, and it's shining even more light on his coaching deficiencies this season.

Danny doesn't show fire or passion on the sidelines. He seems to keep his assistants down as well. So far, aside from recruiting and likability, Danny has not given us much to be happy about.

At what date prior to July 2017 did this certainty that Dinos would be gone by the fall of 2017 exist in your world?

Apologies if it wasn't clear, I was referring to next season (2018-2019). My point is how can Dinos be the lynchpin when we weren't looking for a direct replacement for when his eligibility was up. Manning was always ok not having a player of his archetype on the roster. Fact of the matter is that big men were not an emphasis for the class of 2018 even though we knew Dinos wouldn't be on the roster for that season. This is why I don't think it would have mattered when Dinos announced his departure, I think regardless Manning would have carried the scholarship into next season.

Manning's system, such as it is, doesn't call for more than one guy taller than ~6'8". This should have actually made it easier than usual to absorb the surprise and late loss of a starting grade power forward. The problem is that, with or without Dinos, there was a gaping hole in the roster. With Dinos, we were going to have one ACC quality player taller than 6'5" who wasn't a full blown center. Without him, we have none. In year 4, that's a coaching failure.

Next year's class has a 5 star recruit. First one this decade. Reasonable to expect him to have an immediate impact.

The inevitable late game management from our fearless leader Danny Manning. If it isn't obvious this dude doesn't know what he's doing then I can't help you.

Posted about this in the other thread, but the four guard lineup is atrocious, as is the stubborn unwillingness to abandon it.

Just more excuse-making.

+1

DM should never have been hired in the first place and I believe we are just wasting time retaining him. This is his team and should be held accountable. Transfers, leaving early are part of college b-ball and 4 years is enough time to build a decent program. Barnes at Tennessee and Dixon at TCU are good examples of how to rebuild quickly. DM should be let go at the end of the season but I believe everyone realizes that will not happen. The minimum achievement to retain him after next season is at least 1 NCAA tournament win. Play in games do not count. Any thing short of this and he should be shown the door
+1
Thank you Nathan Hatch. Can’t wait for his retirement. Maybe then we’ll get a real Board of Trustees.

You remember when you were a kid and you couldn’t figure something out so you just started doing random shit in hopes that all of a sudden your attempts would start working? That’s DM coaching our once proud flagship sport...

I’m done. #Manningout

I think Danny is doing a good job. Went to the NCAA last year. Recruitng his tale off. Still hate he didnt play ball in Raleigh back in the 80's.

Next year's class has a 5 star recruit. First one this decade. Reasonable to expect him to have an immediate impact.

Why would you expect DM to a better job with good players? I expect he will screw it up and not play the new kids-- like he is doing this year. Heck he thinks Wilbiken is the best player on his team-- has said so in press conferences.

Why would you expect DM to a better job with good players? I expect he will screw it up and not play the new kids-- like he is doing this year. Heck he thinks Wilbiken is the best player on his team-- has said so in press conferences.
Wilbekin - maybe - should be getting 2/4 minutes PT per game. He’s never been an ACC caliber player. The fact that DM plays him as much as he does is Exhibit # 24.5-QZ that Danny is Peter Principle personified. Thank you Nathan Hatch.

Someone needs to introduce our team to the concept that basketball is a team game that requires cooperation and hustle. These seem to be foreign concepts and have been for years now.

I feel like this team needs a Blucas/Larue type. You know, a gritty kid like mike Lepore or Austin Arains. High IQ lunch pale kind of kid like Mark Cline. Hell, I'd like a scrappy gym rat like AW Hamilton or Joe Amonette.

FFS I'd even put up with a a kid with a big heart like Alan Williams or Richard Joyce.

You know, that kind of kid.

I feel like this team needs a Blucas/Larue type. You know, a gritty kid like mike Lepore or Austin Arains. High IQ lunch pale kind of kid like Mark Cline. Hell, I'd like a scrappy gym rat like AW Hamilton or Joe Amonette.

FFS I'd even put up with a a kid with a big heart like Alan Williams or Richard Joyce.

You know, that kind of kid.

As long as they won’t be 3 and 4 year vets getting a back court violation in crunch time, sign em up!

Back