• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

DM absolutely sucks. I wish it weren't so. He has no ability to convey mental toughness at the end of games. He shows no emotion so we get run over by the officials, he acts arrogantly, as some have said a know it all. Last night in the post game he bitched about rebounding down the stretch... no shit we had four guards in the floor and still managed to turn it over.

We are terrible. The rotations are inexplicable. Yes he developed Collins, but wasted his freshmen year. Same with Moore who should've redshirted.

I absolutely hate the situation we're in but a change has to be made. Even with improved players we are going to be in a state of constant frustration.

Four years is plenty of a sample size.

Buzz's last team with Tyler and Travis would bitch slap this team.

What about SJM, Melo, and Donovan Mitchell, they need minutes to develop. And Brown. Play him. He had one stupid turnover then gets buried on the bench. Thompson and MW and Childress all need to play much less.

Crawford geez what a disappointment mentally.

Maybe DM will resign and start a big man camp in NC. He is simply not going to make it as a head coach. Maybe the NBA something, but we have a disaster on our hands.

Can anyone seriously say that we have less talent on the floor vs. VAtech, state or BC. Seriously.

This is very negative but I can't disagree with any of it. Wellman is an idiot.

It is negative, but this is reality.

Everyone likes to kick wellman and while I agree that his decisions around the basketball program have been a failure, Danny Manning as a hire seemed to me to make sense.

I think this is on DM, if you don't want to be at Wake quit. Everyone looks miserable right now. The mental side of life is more important than the physical. I don't fault the players other than Crawford who needs to get his head out of his ass if he wants to play in the NBA. He can but he isn't at this pace. He has to improve his decision making.

Childress makes a bunch of boneheaded plays and shoots like a mid major point but at least he plays with some passion.

The big guys just need to continue to improve, but sitting on the bench isnt going to help. Moore has really worked to get physically to a higher level. He can be great if he improves mentally. His free throw shooting is ok when he relaxes and uses his touch. He can get a lot better.

We have a lot of talent and we just suck. Losing is one thing but how we are losing is another. I've cheered my ass off for many undermanned Wake teams. This one because of the gap between talent and output is the worst team ever.

Last edited:
There is no sane reason that Wellman would chose this year to extend Manning. This year is BZ level coaching. Why would you reward this?

There is no sane reason that Wellman would chose this year to extend Manning. This year is BZ level coaching. Why would you reward this?

obviously we are looking to establish consistency and attract better players. But if you are doing that you have more two year players so do they even give a shit about long term. College basketball overall sucks and we are the worst. Prosser changed the mindset, maybe we need to go back to Odom ball and just play slower with lesser athletes.

DM in theory is great. In practice its a nightmare. Big Guys have to by nature be calmer. but geez. I really like these kids too. They seem like great kids and have skill. coaching is the problem - geez its painful. I would have a lot more respect for DM if he cam out and just said " folks sorry about this year. we just arent at the point where we can lose two great players and play the same system. our guards havent made the adjustment, out young big guys are not quite there, and we as coaches not been good enough adjusting in games and helping our kids with the mental side. I love Mitch wil who was our first real commit to the new program, and thanks T. THompson we love having you here (seems like a smart guy too) but we are going to have to start from scratch and look at today as the start of next year. We are going to play the younger guys more and play the srs. in the spot roles where they would be excelling on better teams. boyz its try out day tomorrow.

Last edited:

This was an extend or fire year. After the season, he would have only had one year left on his contract.

The important thing to remember is that we don't know the buyout. Actually, we don't even know the length of the extension. It was conspicuously absent from all the publicity, suggesting it was probably only a year or two. More of a vote of confidence extension than a real extension like Clawson received. All my theory of course.

c151f9c3cb666716c2e9be2715f80ec1.jpg

Angry Chas.

Your an idiot. Ha ha.

This was an extend or fire year. After the season, he would have only had one year left on his contract.

The important thing to remember is that we don't know the buyout. Actually, we don't even know the length of the extension. It was conspicuously absent from all the publicity, suggesting it was probably only a year or two. More of a vote of confidence extension than a real extension like Clawson received. All my theory of course.

Hope you are right. Still seems like we could have let the year play out.

Hope you are right. Still seems like we could have let the year play out.

I tend to agree, but in the end I think it was pretty unlikely he was going to be let go regardless of the result of this season. The NCAAT appearance was ahead of schedule, and we have a strong class coming in. That said, this season has pretty much been worst case scenario.

Adam Gold on 99.9 The Fan in Raleigh ctiticized DM's lack of coaching for the team having "Wake Forested" again last night.

We're a verb again. :(

Maybe donaldross is right and it's the arena's fault!

That is not my position. Wake needs all things pulling in proper direction. Our stadium is on us. It is part of the equation—not the whole formula—but it is the one we control the most. I am told they have now scrapped the Joel renovations. Let’s get it right in the coming years and build a spot that fits us.

If you look back Jeff had the team trending in the right direction. Made slow improvement each year. His last year he had a winning record and beat all three NC teams at home. He inherited a shitfire dump. Should have been given another year.

If you look back Jeff had the team trending in the right direction. Made slow improvement each year. His last year he had a winning record and beat all three NC teams at home. He inherited a shitfire dump. Should have been given another year.

:fu:

You are kidding, right?

Back