• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

I don't know about you guys, but I'm thoroughly enjoying watching his credibility soar through the roof.

FWIW..my confidence in the direction of the program has not been higher since approximately 7pm on January 21st, 2009.

Manning's credibility meter is maxed out in my mind...my hesitancy was misplaced.

Last edited:
0-1 in overtime games. Questionable OT credibility.

Since this thread won't die, how about some numbers to chart the team's improvement? Obviously the record may not show much difference as the team has been 5-5, 6-6 and now 9-9. However, since I just happened to chart some numbers after 12 games, here is an interesting comparison of the 12-game mark and the 18-game milepost:

After 12 gms: 69.8 PPG; 41.8% FG, 32.3% 3FG & 64.7% FT; 40.75 Reb/g; 12.9 Ast/g; 15.8 T/O; 55.6% of made buckets assisted
After 18 gms: 71.3 PPG; 43.5% FG, 33.1% 3FG & 64.5% FT; 40.11 Reb/g; 14.2 Ast/g; 14.7 T/O; 57.9% of made buckets assisted

Even though 2 of the 6 opponents were OOC teams (UofR & Princeton), it is nice to see the improvement in several key areas like FG%, Asst/gm, Ast to T/O and the team's ability to share the basketball, which has continued to improve while T/O have decreased considerably despite the tougher opponents including L'ville, Duke and Cuse. The only statistical measure to decline is rebounding, but it is still very respectable (20th in country?) and FT% has not really changed at all (we are what we are there).

Breaking it down over the last 6 games, Wake has averaged 74.2 PPG, 38.8 Reb / gm, nearly 17 Ast/ gm and only 14.7 T/O / gm for a markedly better A/TO ratio (we are nearly back to 1:1 on the year). Makes sense that rebounding numbers would decline against tougher and bigger ACC opponents, but if Wake can continue to stay in the 37-40 Reb / gm range and shooting continues to improve (largely due to our much improved efficiency), we should be able to notch several wins over the next month. Unfortunately, due to the shoddy FT shooting and lack of end-of-game weapons who can create their own shots, we may still find ourselves on the short end of several more close games.

Overall though, we should be very happy with the progress this team is making in almost every facet of the game. Although we are still only 252nd in the nation in FG% defense. Will be tough to get that number (69.1 PPGA) down since many ACC contests are a race to 70 with several good opponents remaining like UVa twice, ND, Miami, State, UNC and Duke again at Cameron.

Largely though, despite the record, I am quite heartened by the progress and remain largely optimistic about the future with Coach Manning! Go Deacs!!

Last edited:
Would take an asshole even more cynical than me to not want to admit the clear improvement the team has made since right before Christmas.

Would take an asshole even more cynical than me to not want to admit the clear improvement the team has made since right before Christmas.

We're supposed to believe such a mythical beast exists?

Since this thread won't die, how about some numbers to chart the team's improvement? Obviously the record may not show much difference as the team has been 5-5, 6-6 and now 9-9. However, since I just happened to chart some numbers after 12 games, here is an interesting comparison of the 12-game mark and the 18-game milepost:

After 12 gms: 69.8 PPG; 41.8% FG, 32.3% 3FG & 64.7% FT; 40.75 Reb/g; 12.9 Ast/g; 15.8 T/O; 55.6% of made buckets assisted
After 18 gms: 71.3 PPG; 43.5% FG, 33.1% 3FG & 64.5% FT; 40.11 Reb/g; 14.2 Ast/g; 14.7 T/O; 57.9% of made buckets assisted

Even though 2 of the 6 opponents were OOC teams (UofR & Princeton), it is nice to see the improvement in several key areas like FG%, Asst/gm, Ast to T/O and the team's ability to share the basketball, which has continued to improve while T/O have decreased considerably despite the tougher opponents including L'ville, Duke and Cuse. The only statistical measure to decline is rebounding, but it is still very respectable (20th in country?) and FT% has not really changed at all (we are what we are there).

Breaking it down over the last 6 games, Wake has averaged 74.2 PPG, 38.8 Reb / gm, nearly 17 Ast/ gm and only 14.7 T/O / gm for a markedly better A/TO ratio (we are nearly back to 1:1 on the year). Makes sense that rebounding numbers would decline against tougher and bigger ACC opponents, but if Wake can continue to stay in the 37-40 Reb / gm range and shooting continues to improve (largely due to our much improved efficiency), we should be able to notch several wins over the next month. Unfortunately, due to the shoddy FT shooting and lack of end-of-game weapons who can create their own shots, we may still find ourselves on the short end of several more close games.

Overall though, we should be very happy with the progress this team is making in almost every facet of the game. Although we are still only 252nd in the nation in FG% defense. Will be tough to get that number (69.1 PPGA) down since many ACC contests are a race to 70 with several good opponents remaining like UVa twice, ND, Miami, State, UNC and Duke again at Cameron.

Largely though, despite the record, I am quite heartened by the progress and remain largely optimistic about the future with Coach Manning! Go Deacs!!

^^^ Credibility!

This from today's paper (in GA) in the 'ACC This Week' section. Probably in other papers around the country too. We get very little Wake coverage here so it's great to see things like this.

Looking Ahead: Wake Forest might be off the the most encouraging 1-4 start in ACC history. The Demon Deacons put serious scares into Louisville, Duke and Syracuse before losing those three by a combined 20 points. They will have another chance to give first-year coach Danny Manning a marquee win when North Carolina visits Joel Coliseum on Wednesday.

Back