• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Interesting article from SBNation--duke.
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2015/1/14/7543873/acc-roundup-zach-auguste-suspended-for-season

Wake Forest is having a strange season: the Deacs are not winning in the conference - Wake's just 1-4 - yet keep earning respect.

Coaches and players hate moral victories,ia or claim to anyway, but we bet if you took almost anyone who played for Wake Forest last season and this year and asked them if he was happier, every single one would say yes, and losing record be damned.

Look, of course Wake wants to win, and did last year, too. The difference is that last year, there was no clear path to winning consistently. This year?

Danny Manning has made a huge difference.

Wake Forest is playing with confidence, vigor and great energy. That winning time is still a mystery is not a big surprise. No one on the roster has really been part of a winning team, other than last year's unsatisfactory 17-16. Certainly no one has the slightest idea of what it takes to climb to the top.

Well, no one except for Manning, who of course has been there as player and coach (as a Bill Self assistant at Kansas).

Wake fans no doubt are disappointed and that's understandable. Make no mistake though: Danny Manning is remaking that program and he's doing it in a big way.

In fact, we'd argue that Wake's progress is pretty remarkable. It may take a year or two for everything to click, but the guy is showing signs of being a tremendous coach and his team is clearly responding. Good news for Wake and the ACC as a whole.

Am I the only one who thinks this "knowing how to win" business is a bit overstated?

I think it's a key difference between an experienced loser like Bz and an experienced winner like Manning.

I think Grobe was experienced at being mediocre and didn't know how to keep winning.

Clawson is experienced at turning losers into winners so I think we will see that happen at Wake.

You touched on coaches who know how to build winning programs, which I think is clearly valid.
The Duke blog talked about teams that "knew how to win" individual games. Very different things.
Doesn't knowing how to win individual games basically boil down to making plays? Make the shot, make the free throw, get the stop. To me it seems that knowing how to win games is really just another way to say "be a good team."

So your issue is the difference between "know how to win" and "know how to do what it takes to win."

So your issue is the difference between "know how to win" and "know how to do what it takes to win."

I guess.
Really though, my issue is the need for the "know how to..." What does it take to win? Pass it shoot it rebound it defend. Just do it. Know how doesn't enter into it. So this "knowing" business in whatever form is just psychobabble that fans and talking heads spew.

I guess.
Really though, my issue is the need for the "know how to..." What does it take to win? Pass it shoot it rebound it defend. Just do it. Know how doesn't enter into it. So this "knowing" business in whatever form is just psychobabble that fans and talking heads spew.

slide4.jpg

Gah y'all just let it ago already. Thread should die soon

Seems kinda bullshit for manning to take credit for the foundation that was built for him

I was wrong on Manning, jaded by the [Redacted] years

The sky is the limit with this guy

get a lot of house for the money in Tulsa OK. Geez
4400 sq ft and a pool for 677K. Looks like it's time for me to move.

get a lot of house for the money in Tulsa OK. Geez
4400 sq ft and a pool for 677K. Looks like it's time for me to move.

You can do better than that down here.

Back