• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Sorry the link doesn't work.

But there's also a bit of poetry in the purchase by Manning and his wife, Julie. A power forward who was drafted by the Los Angeles Clippers as 1988's No. 1 draft pick, Manning bought a home on, get this, Ballincourt Lane. Manning declined to speak with us about the purchase when the deal closed in the spring, but we gleaned this much from property records and listings. The four-bedroom, four and half bath home totals more than 5,500 square feet. That's well over the size of an NBA basketball court, by the way, and Manning certainly knows how to make the best of every square inch of one of those.

I think it's a key difference between an experienced loser like Bz and an experienced winner like Manning.

I think Grobe was experienced at being mediocre and didn't know how to keep winning.

Clawson is experienced at turning losers into winners so I think we will see that happen at Wake.

Very well said. I've got to tell you that after that shit show today I'm concerned about the sideline acumen of our new staff. Building a program is one thing but shit it seems like some of the little things are getting away from us during the games that are coaching related. I am very upset about that game today, and I've been very positive through it all.

I'm ok with some learning on the job absolutely but dude? Come on. We are not in rhythm even for what we have

Very well said. I've got to tell you that after that shit show today I'm concerned about the sideline acumen of our new staff. Building a program is one thing but shit it seems like some of the little things are getting away from us during the games that are coaching related. I am very upset about that game today, and I've been very positive through it all.

Why are you that upset about dropping a road game in a year when we're clearly not going to be playing in the postseason?

It's how we lost. Poor coaching and decision making. Definitely moving backwards this past week. Clemson is terrible and tried to give it to us. This team is not playing to its capability.

You're an idiot.

What I mean is that we could have gone with a veteran coach vs. one with one year as a head coach. He is learning on the job. But he is not making good decisions on the bench per lineups, timeouts etc.

Also go fuck yourself

He needs to leave one of CMM or DT on the court at all times if no foul trouble.

Other teams and coaches want to win as bad as we do. Clemson made the winning play. Accept that we have a flawed team and our schedule will not allow for many more wins. Next year should be a lot better.

Last edited:
It's how we lost. Poor coaching and decision making. Definitely moving backwards this past week. Clemson is terrible and tried to give it to us. This team is not playing to its capability.

Clemson isn't terrible, they have wins over Syracuse, Pitt, and Arkansas. They're just ugly because they suck on offense. Brownell has them playing solid defense though.

We didn't execute in the last few minutes, and that was across the board. Agree that we're not playing to our potential. I thought we should have split the UNC/Syracuse games and beaten Clemson. Outside of maybe Richmond we're basically sitting on our worst-case-scenario record despite some very obvious improvements in the core of the team.

It's frustrating but a lot of the conclusions being drawn based on just a few games are pretty nuts.

It will be time to scrutinize Manning as a game coach starting next season. This year is not worth the effort given how easy we are for other teams to game plan against.

The guy put together a recruiting class that was actually able to contribute in the summer before the season started. He should not have been able to pull that off. He has a team that has had an absolutely abysmal road record for years in position to win in some pretty hostile environments.

Show some patience, this won't get fixed overnight. Speaking as someone who advocated hiring Ben Howland, Danny is proving to be a much better selection for the future of the program.

The guy put together a recruiting class that was actually able to contribute in the summer before the season started. He should not have been able to pull that off. He has a team that has had an absolutely abysmal road record for years in position to win in some pretty hostile environments.

Show some patience, this won't get fixed overnight. Speaking as someone who advocated hiring Ben Howland, Danny is proving to be a much better selection for the future of the program.

Danny has definitely overachieved on the recruiting front thus far. The 2014 class showed that he has an eye for talent and the 2015 class has shown that he can get shit done. When it comes to recruiting, I'm 100% on board with Manning and his staff.

I also think he's done a great job with what he has to work with in terms of talent development. Our guys are playing as well, if not better, than they were playing at this time last year. When you realize that there is no Travis, Coron, Cav, or Moto (#billmotogang4life) on this team, our progress makes me hopeful. Dinos and Mitchell are inconsistent, for sure, but they're freshmen and really exceeding all expectations. Greg is a freshman, too, and I've been impressed with the greater confidence he seems to be exhibiting now than he was earlier in the year. I've been really impressed with how Devin has cooled down since our OOC schedule and at how Madison has actually played productive minutes for us. We will see if Tree can exhibit the same tyoes of changes as the season continues and now that he's back.

I still have reservations about Danny Manning the coach.

The bad - There are definitely confounding variables at play (such as a general lack of talent), but Manning's game management is really sketchy in my opinion. Whether it's putting us in the position to lose the ball on consecutive possessions at the end of the first half of the Clemson game, odd rotations that put us at a disadvantage on both ends of the floor for curious amounts of time, or letting CMM screw up end game possessions in consecutive games, I guess that I'm just not convinced right now. Time Out-gate, too, really annoys me. Even if you think that's a foul, you call that time out. And that wasn't the first time something like that has happened this year.

The good - I like our defensive intensity. I like how our offensive-oriented lineups play, particularly in terms of ball movement and keeping everybody involved. We have a really easy scouting report right now on the offensive end of the floor, so I really can't fault our staff at how quickly our game plan is exposed, but I have been impressed with the resilience that our guys have shown when our plays break down. Light years different from what happened last year with much of the same personnel.

Last edited:
The bad - There are definitely confounding variables at play (such as a general lack of talent), but Manning's game management is really sketchy in my opinion. Whether it's putting us in the position to lose the ball on consecutive possessions at the end of the first half of the Clemson game, odd rotations that put us at a disadvantage on both ends of the floor for curious amounts of time, or letting CMM screw up end game possessions in consecutive games, I guess that I'm just not convinced right now. Time Out-gate, too, really annoys me. Even if you think that's a foul, you call that time out. And that wasn't the first time something like that has happened this year.

How did he put us in position to lose the ball?

Unless you want Thomas, etc... to go the full 40 minutes the rotation issue is going to be a fact of life due to either the talent level or lack of experience of the players coming off the bench.

Codi is what he is. He's a better option than the other guards on the team right now to create something with the ball in his hands.

Calling a time out there is a judgment call. It didn't work out but letting a very good defensive team get its defense set isn't a great alternative.

I don't think there's much with Manning's in game coaching to be that concerned with so far.

Last edited:
On the whole I think Danny has struggled with substitution patterns and lineup composition. I think a decent chunk of our improvement into ACC play can be attributed to the fact Rountree and Overton weren't available to use. Look at the Minnesota game (low point of season IMO) and you have Rountree and Overton getting 20+ minutes each. It was like our lineups got better by accident as the quantity of options lowered.

We have a really thin team this year, yet somehow we don't have a player in the top 400 in the country in minutes and CMM and DT are both playing less minutes than they did even last year. It's odd.

I also don't think he has a great feel for how various lineup compositions work together, I dunno. It's like a player struggles for a bit and he'll pull him and put someone else in, even if that means Madison, Tree, and McClinton are all on the floor together.

Back