• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

I can tell Manning is coaching these guys. I don't know anything about recruiting classes, assuming he can bring some people in that are of good caliber, I'm really looking forward to next year, and keeping some hope of a fun ACC run this year.

The only folks I'm disappointed at are the Wake fans in the W-S area. That UNC game, the stadium looked easily 30% UNC fans. I understand the reasons why, but that is absolutely pathetic.

No doubt that Manning is getting a lot more from some of these guys than any of us expected. And look how much better DT's attitude has been since the start of ACC play! Seems like Danny has reached him. Tough to find fault with Devin's game of late save for the occasional bad pass out of the dbl team or lapse on defense.

One thing I'm hopeful of seeing on Wed night is a renewed commitment to running the offense (less CMM freelancing or low-post forcing) and staying more within the framework of the offensive scheme even if we build a lead. We're falling too in love with the 3 when we get a 7-12 point lead and it is coming back to bite us. We need to get back to the cutting and one extra pass that was fueling our offensive efficiency after Christmas.

As for the Joel, it reminds me of an Atlanta Falcons game as many fans still hold their hometown allegiance when that team comes to the Dome. But they pretend to be Falcons fans the other 15 games of the year. A lot of locals will support Wake unless we are playing the dreaded Holes. Cue Donald Ross' argument for a smaller arena! ;)

I don't think Manning plans to micro-manage this team in order to get 3 or 4 more wins. That still wouldn't get us to the NIT. So let the players figure it out on the floor under game pressure. The guys who get it will be counted on for future seasons. Others will have to be replaced with better talent. He seems pretty clear on what the challenges are to get us out of the ACC bottom dwellers.

I agree with a lot of what has been posted. The program has changed for the better. I also agre that much of the first 10 games was a live try out. The focus is three years not one.

But still. The lineups have been iffy and there have been some blunders from the bench. I want to win every damn game and I hope to god DM does too.

Last week was a step back. We need a leap this week.

When I think of error prone players, Scooter Banks and Trent Strickland come to mind. Of course, this team needs a star player that can make winning shots at crunch time. Ish got good at this as a senior so there is still hope for Codi and Devin.

That's sad. Maybe they can develop skills by their senior years .

Amazing...

@BloggerSoDear: 93 of the 110 3-pointers that Wake has made this year are from guys Danny Manning added to roster in the short time he had to recruit

Amazing...

@BloggerSoDear: 93 of the 110 3-pointers that Wake has made this year are from guys Danny Manning added to roster in the short time he had to recruit
I'd give Bz credit for Crab, but the point still stands.

I'd give Bz credit for Crab, but the point still stands.
Isn't Crab is a Chill guy? Obviously (?) didn't have a commit-able offer until Manning gave him one.

Last edited:

Thanks for that foundation [Redacted].

house-on-sand.png

CMM and DT have missed more than 90 FTs between them. That must be some sort of record. Plus they are making almost 6 turnovers per game. DM would have to be the second coming of John Wooden to overcome these stats.

Last edited:
CMM and DT have missed more than 90 FTs between them. That must be some sort of record. Plus they are making almost 6 turnovers per game. DM would have to be the second coming of John Wooden to overcome these stats.

Astounding. Even more astounding than the DM recruits 3-pointers stat, which is also a doozy. aBzmal!

We created a wide open three for our best shooter to win the game on the road. Manning doing a great job with what he has IMO

Sounds like last night was super heart-breaking. Hate it for the kids. They deserve some "puck luck" as they say in hockey. Hopefully they can start a little winning streak this Saturday.

Man I wanted that shot by Wilbekin to drop. In hindsight I guess Codi should have just taken it at the rim like he did to close out regulation and send the game to OT. He was unstoppable for most of the night... But hard to argue that hitting our best shooter with his toes on the 3 point line, wide open, wasn't the right play.

Not to mention that extremely borderline foul call on Devin the play before followed by a no-call on Codi's next drive that had far more contact. Just another game of solid play with a terrible set of events and a heartbreaking outcome. Brutal.

Glad pretty much none of our players are seniors. When all these games go the other direction next year and we make the tournament it's going to be awesome.

I like your optimism DC!! I think we will turn the proverbial corner next year although I'm sure we'll still have many a bump in the road as well. However, with DM's apparent ability to motivate his players, use them to their strengths more often than not, and a year of maturity for Dinos, Mitchell and YungCrab, our more diversified line-up should be a lot tougher to game plan against. And 2016 of course could shape up to be A LOT of fun. Here's to a couple of showdowns between Harry Giles and Duane Bacon in two years! But ya goin' down next year Criminoles!!

We are 1-7 in conference guys. Talking tourney berths for next year seems extremely premature to me.

We are 1-7 in conference guys. Talking tourney berths for next year seems extremely premature to me.

This. Next season will be nothing more than Year 6 of the WF rebuild. Seriously think about that. Who would have thought when we let go of Dino that we'd be rebuilding for 6 fucking years!?

Back