• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Difference between 7th and 11th is a single win. Again, heap the praises if you want. They're a couple wins better than expected. You're talking about them as if they're an NCAA lock and top 5 in the ACC.

The way its playing out we are beyond a lock and will finish in the top 5. Hell if State wins out they might finish 3-4. To say this season is not way beyond what was expected from State is sheer idiocy, you need to put the crack pipe down bubba.

Not lofty goals, realistic projections.

Dinos coming back would have made a big difference. I'm not sure 18-9, but 15/16 wins is logical.

Teams would have to defend Dinos anywhere he went. He has pretty good 3 pt range. He also was a pretty good complementary rebounder. His assists and rebounds per game went up each year. He wasn't the quickest guy, but he put in pretty good effort on D and developed a nice inside game to go with the three ball.

Dinos wasn't a superstar, nor would he be, but he was a competent ACC level player at the 4 spot and would have been a very important piece to the puzzle that is the Wake 2017-18 basketball team.

The win probabilities against Georgia Southern, Liberty, and Drake don't change very much whether we had Dinos or not. Saying "hey, I think we've spotted teams about 10 points in a bunch of games and we'd probably win all of those if we had Dinos" is just a lazy, sloppy way to try to rationalize this season's massive suckitude. As if Dinos wasn't prone to having stinker games, too.

The win probabilities against Georgia Southern, Liberty, and Drake don't change very much whether we had Dinos or not. Saying "hey, I think we've spotted teams about 10 points in a bunch of games and we'd probably win all of those if we had Dinos" is just a lazy, sloppy way to try to rationalize this season's massive suckitude. As if Dinos wasn't prone to having stinker games, too.

With Dinos Mitiglou on the team, we don't see four guard lineups. Danny likes shooters. Dinos is one, but he is also 6-10 and was getting bigger and stronger by the year.

Against those teams, yeah I'll take this year's Wake team with Dinos as a pretty good answer to "How do you turn a 10 point deficits into victories?"

Right now, State is as good or better than we were last year despite the fact we had an NBA player last year and they lost one.

If anything, this shows a team can improve quickly with the right coaching.

By having Dinos, fewer people have to play out of position. Doral even gets more space as would Craw. Doral would likely get more boards as he wouldn't doubled and tripled when shots went up. It's not just about what Dinos could do himself. You have to look at how his presence would impact the rest of the team.

Having to do less and focus more on one theme would likely have made Chaundee better as well. Playing with Dinos would have freed Sarr up as well. Sarr's athleticism could have been used more effectively.

As to the comment that we all think Danny is shitty coach, that isn't true. No one is saying he's a world-beater, but he isn't shitty.

We basically play every game 4 on five(no ACC level number 4). That and inconsistent perimeter play(shooting and turnovers) is hard to overcome.

Danny's record through 4 years of ACC play suggest he's a shitty coach.

Right now, State is as good or better than we were last year despite the fact we had an NBA player last year and they lost one.

If anything, this shows a team can improve quickly with the right coaching.

Kenpom says otherwise, but hey - why give Wake any credit for last year when you can prop up one of our rivals?

We'll find out next year who is right and who's wrong. Adding Hoard fixes the talent gap left by Dinos. Like most everyone who's in the "don't fire Manning yet" group I think next year is a deciding year and we have to make the tournament for Manning to stay.

If the haters are right and Manning is "dumb" or an "idiot" and can't coach at all, we'll be terrible again and hopefully he'll get fired. Most of those same posters said we'd be worse after losing Devin and Codi, so all the know-it-all posts about how little it matters that we start Thompson instead of Dinos is pretty comical coming from them.

Kenpom says otherwise, but hey - why give Wake any credit for last year when you can prop up one of our rivals?

We'll find out next year who is right and who's wrong. Adding Hoard fixes the talent gap left by Dinos. Like most everyone who's in the "don't fire Manning yet" group I think next year is a deciding year and we have to make the tournament for Manning to stay.

If the haters are right and Manning is "dumb" or an "idiot" and can't coach at all, we'll be terrible again and hopefully he'll get fired. Most of those same posters said we'd be worse after losing Devin and Codi, so all the know-it-all posts about how little it matters that we start Thompson instead of Dinos is pretty comical coming from them.

Yep

That's not true.

I don't know what Kenpom says. I do know State is sitting as an #11 seed in Bracketology which is about where we were last year.

It was almost going to be impossible to be worse than 2 and seventeen

That's not true.

I don't know what Kenpom says. I do know State is sitting as an #11 seed in Bracketology which is about where we were last year.

The bold part is absolutely true, I got into a huge back-and-forth about it. There was plenty of "why do you think we'll improve after we lose two of our leading scorers" just like this year people are saying "why do you think we'll improve because some freshmen are going to save us."

That's not true.

And State is about 15 spots worse than our Kenpom ranking last year. "I don't know what Kenpom says" is pretty lazy. Especially when you claim they're "as good or better" than us. Last year right about now we were winning 4 straight and beating a top 10 team. But please, continue lavishing NC State with praise and writing off any success we had last year.

And State is about 15 spots worse than our Kenpom ranking last year. "I don't know what Kenpom says" is pretty lazy. Especially when you claim they're "as good or better" than us. Last year right about now we were winning 4 straight and beating a top 10 team. But please, continue lavishing NC State with praise and writing off any success we had last year.

Last season was an anomaly

Man, you are a shill for the AD

The bold part is absolutely true, I got into a huge back-and-forth about it. There was plenty of "why do you think we'll improve after we lose two of our leading scorers" just like this year people are saying "why do you think we'll improve because some freshmen are going to save us."

Find a link then. Most of the people down on this team didn’t think Codi was that good in the first place.

Back