• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Watching how fast UConn has turned it around is amazing. I get the feeling that Chris Mack at Louisville is going to do the same.

New beginnings actually means "same ole incompetence passed on to a new class of recruits".

Manning showed again today that he simply does not know the rules. We are paying a man a million bucks to coach our basketball program who can’t recruit, can’t coach, and doesn’t know the rules.

He took the first timeout of the 2nd half. By rule it becomes a full even if you take a .30. The official approached him as he must and says “30?” Manning looks very confused. After a long pause, Ernie steps in and says “Yes, we take a 30.”

We are complete morons to be paying this guy to coach our team. Why didn’t we hire Wes like I said to do 8 years ago? Now everyone wants him? I told you back then it would be too late if we waited. I’m afraid it is.

Everyone wants Wes Miller?

Has there ever been a coach to put together such a poor record through 4 plus years who turned it around? And the eye test will tell you that Danny Manning's one of the worst bench coaches in the history of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The dude at Seton Hall... But his lows weren’t as low.

After that defensive cluster fuck, I think Clawson would fire Manning, but doubt Manning will fire himself and I am sure Welman will do nothing. Just pay Manning big bucks for not doing his job. No matter how much talent you have if you can't play defense or run offensive sets you will not win ball games

Manning promotes Chill to be his head assistant then they bring in Gray to assist the program and then Nestor . A lot of lifelines being utilized

Wellman's poor hires have really hurt the program, his stubbornness in realizing his mistakes and not moving quickly to fix the problem have absolutely killed the program

I think Danny is a good guy who is really trying, he is just too clueless and stubborn to fix the mess he has propagated.

I think Danny is a good guy who is really trying, he is just too clueless and stubborn to fix the mess he has propagated.

He’s definitely stubborn. Been utilizing the same terrible defensive strategy for five years with no adjustments.

In a game where Wake Forest stayed even early before faltering late, Hoard said the focus of the group is to become more consistent as the season progresses.

“We’re kind of young, so we get sometimes where we kind of relax, but we need to stay locked in 40 minutes,” he said.

“It’s just a matter of staying locked in. … We come into games and we’re prepared. We know the scouting report, we just have to make sure we’re applying it on the court.”

We "sometimes" kind of relax....in the 2nd game of the season? What little bit I've seen of Duke, they're "kind of" young too, ""kind of" have more talent than we do, and they don't "kind of" relax though they certainly could and still win handily... but not if they want to avoid getting chewed out by K and yanked to the bench. Hoard's comments say a lot about how Manning is not coaching em' up to play to their natural ability, much less exceeding it. And at Wake you need a coach who can demand and get more out of his players than what their recruiting rankings and metrics say they bring to the table; see: Clawson, Dave-WFU football.

In a game where Wake Forest stayed even early before faltering late, Hoard said the focus of the group is to become more consistent as the season progresses.

“We’re kind of young, so we get sometimes where we kind of relax, but we need to stay locked in 40 minutes,” he said.

“It’s just a matter of staying locked in. … We come into games and we’re prepared. We know the scouting report, we just have to make sure we’re applying it on the court.”

We "sometimes" kind of relax....in the 2nd game of the season? /QUOTE]

If anything, a young team should be exuberant and prone to try too hard and never relax. How does this make any sense? Sorry Jaylen but that is some Ron Wellman-level excuse making. I know you're a freshman who's only played a handful of games in a Wake uni, but you should be singing a different song. How is this group not playing with something to prove? They are picked next to last by almost everyone and no one expects them to win. I could see if they were all upper-classmen and have had barely any success and then going through the motions, but this is the first two weeks of the season!!

If anything, a young team should be exuberant and prone to try too hard and never relax. How does this make any sense? Sorry Jaylen but that is some Ron Wellman-level excuse making. I know you're a freshman who's only played a handful of games in a Wake uni, but you should be singing a different song. How is this group not playing with something to prove? They are picked next to last by almost everyone and no one expects them to win. I could see if they were all upper-classmen and have had barely any success and then going through the motions, but this is the first two weeks of the season!!

Players reflect their coach. It shouldn't surprise anyone that our teams struggle to stay into the game.

We "sometimes" kind of relax....in the 2nd game of the season? What little bit I've seen of Duke, they're "kind of" young too, ""kind of" have more talent than we do, and they don't "kind of" relax though they certainly could and still win handily... but not if they want to avoid getting chewed out by K and yanked to the bench. Hoard's comments say a lot about how Manning is not coaching em' up to play to their natural ability, much less exceeding it. And at Wake you need a coach who can demand and get more out of his players than what their recruiting rankings and metrics say they bring to the table; see: Clawson, Dave-WFU football.

For whatever reason, Danny has never inspired his players to play hard, and will never will pull a player for lack of defensive effort if they are contributing offensively. Crawford would have lasted about five minutes with Coach K. , with his showboating and lack of defense , other than highlite steals.

Players reflect their coach. It shouldn't surprise anyone that our teams struggle to stay into the game.

True dat. Pretty much what I'm thinking, but it's funny that no one on these Manning teams ever reflects the fire and intensity that Brandon Childress has. Pretty sad that an assemblage of ostensibly confident BB players would be prone to Little League coach's son resentment. Although I will say that I see a fire burning in Ike Mucius that is beyond needed on this team from what we can gather thus far.

Is it wrong to kind of want Fullerton to blow us out

Might be a sign of impending rock bottom if we are hate-rooting for Wake BB. But I must say I'm getting closer and closer. The frustrating thing is there is enought talent on this team to flash here and there, maybe even surprise us at times. But there will be no consistency in effort, certainly no semblance of commitment to a defensive plan that makes a difference and very likely more of the same stoic, seemingly uninspired approach from Manning.

I keep hoping maybe we collectively fell asleep, dreamed we lost to Stetson, and the last decade has been but a nightmare. Sadly we are all a Wake.

Back