• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Compared to other successful rebuilds of similar situations, we were. It wasn’t an argument, it was simply a statement of fact.
Only it wasn’t a rebuild we just got lucky and had one of the best players in the country on our roster. The rest of the team was a shell. And year one and two were awful.

That was 2010.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think next year we will resemble the LSU Ben Simmons team.
I will state with utmost confidence that we will look nothing like that team. We won’t have a player nearly as good as Ben Simmons and Manning has already shown he can make the tourney without a player as good as Ben Simmons.
Oof.

The results in year 3 were ahead of most other successful rebuilds.

Like what? Manning has the best players from the previous coach and added the best player in recent history and he peaked at the first four.

Only it wasn’t a rebuild we just got lucky and had one of the best players in the country on our roster. The rest of the team was a shell. And year one and two were awful.

i think this is right. on the surface, it did look like we were heading in the right direction, which probably hit it's apex when hoard and mucius committed. though if being objective, that bubble probably should have burst when we had that awful start to last season.

Like what? Manning has the best players from the previous coach and added the best player in recent history and he peaked at the first four.

And that game was a certified disaster. The first four qualifying as a "tournament bid" on a coach's resume is dubious at best but the way Wake played should make it null and void as far as Manning is concerned. What a fucking loser.

this has never really dawned on me until now, but that 2017 team was STACKED with talent.

the best thing manning did as coach was assembling that roster.

Winning two games in 2016 was criminal underperformance.

And that game was a certified disaster. The first four qualifying as a "tournament bid" on a coach's resume is dubious at best but the way Wake played should make it null and void as far as Manning is concerned. What a fucking loser.

It’s part of the NCAA tournament last time I checked. We were the 34th at large team selected, meaning we would have made it under any iteration of the tournament since expansion in 1984.

Back