• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Agreed. Yet that was the program we had in 2014. And we are taking about year 3.

when I said Y1 and Y2, no, I was talking about Y1 and Y2

neither of which occurred in 2014

if only anyone could have viewed the coaching performance during Y1 and Y2 to predict the situation we're currently in

what percentage of the country picked WF to win a game in the 2017 NCAA tournament?

when I said Y1 and Y2, no, I was talking about Y1 and Y2

neither of which occurred in 2014

if only anyone could have viewed the coaching performance during Y1 and Y2 to predict the situation we're currently in

If only. Instead most people predicted failure in year 3 and got it in year 4 because a player no one predicted would leave after 2 years left.

The idea that it takes 3 seasons to get from near .500 to the first four is ridiculous especially when retaining the best players from the previous regime and signing a good class.

Manning is a shit coach. It was pretty evident he was a shit coach in Y3 with some of the inexplicable losses we had and his continued inability to get his teams to play any level of defense. His other 4 years (with decent levels of talent) have all been dumpster fires.

The idea that it takes 3 seasons to get from near .500 to the first four is ridiculous especially when retaining the best players from the previous regime and signing a good class.

And yet, ridiculous or not, most successful rebuilds have taken three years or longer to reach the NCAAT, starting from similar or better situations than Wake in 2014.

Manning is a shit coach. It was pretty evident he was a shit coach in Y3 with some of the inexplicable losses we had and his continued inability to get his teams to play any level of defense. His other 4 years (with decent levels of talent) have all been dumpster fires.

What’s funny is I’ve never disputed this (assuming we are agreeing on your definition of “coach” for the sake of argument).

One year excepted, he has sucked at winning games. There are several reasons he sucks at winning games. Not having the skills one would look for in an NBA coach is one of them.

he wasn't very good at winning games (vs. mediocre or better competition) in that one year, either

He was perfectly average at winning games in the best conference in the country that year.

below the median for regular season

below the median and the mean including the conference tournament

below average

Buzz Williams was above average, however, in year 3 of his rebuild

below the median for regular season

below the median and the mean including the conference tournament

below average

Buzz Williams was above average, however, in year 3 of his rebuild

And yet oddsmakers and most predictive metrics preferred Danny Manning’s team at the end of year 3 of each coach’s rebuild.

Back