• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

And yet oddsmakers and most predictive metrics preferred Danny Manning’s team at the end of year 3 of each coach’s rebuild.

Those oddsmakers obviously didn’t go to Brooklyn.

What’s the better result:

Coach A plays two games against a top 15 team. Loses game 1 by 2 and game 2 by 5

Coach B plays two games against the same team. Loses game 1 by 20 and wins game 2 by 2.

it’s fair to say it looked like we were in good shape we after year 3. that doesn’t mean manning did a good job — we just got incredibly lucky landing a player as good as john collins. even then, we massively underachieved in retrospect given the talent we had on that team.

That’s fair but it didn’t justify a fifth season.

That’s fair but it didn’t justify a fifth season.

probably true (definitely true in retrospect), and probably should have realized that after the awful start last year. but even then it would have been tough given what we knew at the time (almost whole team returning with a top recruiting class).

i think the real tipping point was when crawford and moore decided not to come back, but wonder if it would have been too late at that point to get rid of your coach.

Well, maybe I am alone in this but I thought we were on the upswing at year 3. Yes, his coaching the X and O was his challenge. I thought he would improve...and it has not. That 4th year took a hit losing Collins and Dinos. You couple that with the recruiting taking a down turn and another two upper classmen leavening...here we are.

This Fr class I really like but this team is so young and plugging in Grad Transfers like cracks in the damn. I expected a bad year, but I hoped for more. Idk.

Well, maybe I am alone in this but I thought we were on the upswing at year 3. Yes, his coaching the X and O was his challenge. I thought he would improve...and it has not. That 4th year took a hit losing Collins and Dinos. You couple that with the recruiting taking a down turn and another two upper classmen leavening...here we are.

This Fr class I really like but this team is so young and plugging in Grad Transfers like cracks in the damn. I expected a bad year, but I hoped for more. Idk.

No you're not. I'd say the vast majority on this board thought Manning had us on the upswing after year 3. I would bet still 25 percent were still generally positive on him after year 4...I know I was considering the class he had coming in. It became painfully obvious about 4 games in to me this year that Manning is a really really bad coach who should not have gotten an ACC job so soon.

I was hopeful that he was on the upswing after year 3 but was still concerned about his coaching after the dumpster fires years 1 and 2 and the blown games year 3 that we should have won.

I wasn't very hopeful coming into this year.

I was hopeful that he was on the upswing after year 3 but was still concerned about his coaching after the dumpster fires years 1 and 2 and the blown games year 3 that we should have won.

I wasn't very hopeful coming into this year.

Yeah but I guess for me years 1 and 2 didn't feel as dumpster firey as some of bzdicks years so I was ok as long as we saw progress in year 3 which we did. Now it's apparent Manning won't be able to replicate

We went 2-17 in the ACC in year 2 with Devin Thomas Cody miller-mcintyre Doral Moore Brian Crawford and John Collins on the team Mitchell wilbekin. That might be the most underperforming team in ACC history

Those oddsmakers obviously didn’t go to Brooklyn.

What’s the better result:

Coach A plays two games against a top 15 team. Loses game 1 by 2 and game 2 by 5

Coach B plays two games against the same team. Loses game 1 by 20 and wins game 2 by 2.

They would love for you to go to Vegas though.

Wake was favored by 3 in Brooklyn, btw.

No you're not. I'd say the vast majority on this board thought Manning had us on the upswing after year 3. I would bet still 25 percent were still generally positive on him after year 4...I know I was considering the class he had coming in. It became painfully obvious about 4 games in to me this year that Manning is a really really bad coach who should not have gotten an ACC job so soon.

This is not accurate.

mainly, he sucks at winning games

turns out this skill is important

One year excepted, he has sucked at winning games. There are several reasons he sucks at winning games. Not having the skills one would look for in an NBA coach is one of them.

we disagree

that one win over Louisville really must have made an impression on you

suck + suck + below average + suck + suck = suck

Cool.

Back