• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Hiring a guy with 2 years head coaching experience to clean up the mess REDACTED left here at Wake wasn't really an option either, but it happened.

My point is that giving REDACTED the extra years didn't help us get any better of a coach than if we would have fired him as soon as it become glaringly obvious that he wasn't a good coach. This whole notion that firing a coach that failed will stop other coaches from wanting the job is complete horseshit.

Wellman firing Dino after progressing deeper into the year every season and being 30 games above .500 might turn off a few coaches, however.

Ron Wellman hasn't made a good decision for Wake Forest basketball since he hired Skip Prosser in 2001. That is coming up on 14 years ago in a few months.

Hiring Manning was a good decision. Could turn out to be a great decision.

I think it's obvious he didn't re-recruit anything. All we'd hear for years afterward was how those weren't "his type of players" and didn't fit his system. Plus they were hugely overrated and he was supposed to be a great talent-scout.

If they're not your type of guys, ditch them. If they're overrated, ditch them. Manning knew we desperately needed shooting and brought in a point guard who can shoot it at the expense of losing highly-rated Shelton Mitchell who can't shoot and is now riding the bench at Vandy and has 1 three pointer in his last 5 games.

Coaches are responsible for their recruits the year they take the reigns. Manning's vision is a hundred times more focused than Bz's.

I don't buy what you're saying here at all. Again, he kept Dino's staff. They're the guys who did the on the ground work to bring in the recruiting class. If he didn't bring in those players, he wouldn't have been able to practice. We would have hit bottom a lot sooner by dumping them, but it's not like Bz was ever capable of bringing in better players than the ones Dino left him with. When you've got a coaching staff that you're going to rely on and they're all telling you that these are the guys, you've got to trust that they're right. Keeping the assistants was probably never going to work out, but it's the decision that was made.

And it's reins, not reigns.

It takes less time to turn around a basketball team than in most other sports- for Manning that begins with next year's class- in the meantime Manning has already displayed a better organized team that is much better coached than we have seen in a long time- and every bit as flawed and damaged as our predecessor was- most of you will not even mention his name and recognize the giant shit hole we were in bur expect miracles from the carnage that is left. You are better educated than that- maybe not- his best" player is an undersized, emotional train wreck and it gets worse from there- so choose to be inconsolably unhappy and bitchy little children or try to be a little patient- Wake is a not an elite top tier I can name my coach school- so it is going to be a process to get back to where we were- this year was never going to be good or even mediocre- DM has two years to get the train out of station and rolling down the tracks- I do not think we will know until then what we have. Our recruits for next year bought Manning that time. Of course if you want to stick pencils in your eyes use number a 2 lead and go for the blood poisoning and flesh eating bacteria as well. Be miserable it is the Wake way.

Hiring Manning was a good decision. Could turn out to be a great decision.

Hiring a guy with little experience when your program is facing a massive rebuilding job is not a good decision. It is a risky decision.

Keeping Dino's staff was weak. Keeping players he would later say never fit his system was weak. Manning brought in players and they managed to practice - that point makes zero sense. If Bz wasn't capable of bringing in better players than the garbage he got from Dino then it just proves the point further. And no, when you're brought in for your ability to identify talent, you don't have to just swallow every opinion of your inherited staff. That's just ridiculous.

It never gets old hearing how great Dino's recruiting was. When he had Skip to make the big decisions, he was great recruiter. When he ran the show, he was great at finding horribly overrated guys who had no business at Wake. It's not like those guys left and found success elsewhere like so many predicted.

Defending Bz and his first 2 years of recruiting compared to Manning is a curious position. And by curious, I mean completely fucking crazy.

[Redacted] inherited garbage, did nothing to fix it before his first season, then recruited nobody for his 2nd season.

Manning inherited garbage, brought in 4 guys immediately - 3 of whom are in the top 6 players on the team, and has an excellent class coming in next year with great potential brewing for 2016 as well.

Coaching matters, but players matter more. Eight McDonalds All Americans makes any coach look good. So will guys like Collins, Crawford, Moore, Chill, Giles, etc.

Stretches of bad basketball from guys who have played together for a few months and are questionable ACC players shouldn't damage Manning's credibility anywhere close to how the above strengthens it.

Good post. When Bz came in, he made it clear the problem was culture. Manning has made it clear the problem is talent.

Whatever. The thought was the Bz was walking into a fairly decent situation with a pretty decently ranked class and a good staff that had recruited them. I thank that's pretty easy to comprehend and a feasible argument. And cutting those guys loose, who had already signed LOI's, would have set off a shitstorm on Bz's credibility on day one, especially when you compare them to the dregs who would have been brought in to replace them.

Keeping Dino's staff was weak. Keeping players he would later say never fit his system was weak. Manning brought in players and they managed to practice - that point makes zero sense. If Bz wasn't capable of bringing in better players than the garbage he got from Dino then it just proves the point further. And no, when you're brought in for your ability to identify talent, you don't have to just swallow every opinion of your inherited staff. That's just ridiculous.

It never gets old hearing how great Dino's recruiting was. When he had Skip to make the big decisions, he was great recruiter. When he ran the show, he was great at finding horribly overrated guys who had no business at Wake. It's not like those guys left and found success elsewhere like so many predicted.

Defending Bz and his first 2 years of recruiting compared to Manning is a curious position. And by curious, I mean completely fucking crazy.

Agree completely.

I'm not saying the trolling comparison by Moonzzzz is 100% accurate at all, but Sidney Lowe could recruit talent to NC State and ended up doing fuck all with it.

Is John Ruskin Moonzzzz? I can't keep up with all Moonzzzz's parodies. Can we get a roster or something?

As for the DM hire, I liked the hire, though didn't love it. He was 1 of my top 5 choices. Shaka and Marshall were 1 and 1A for me, and I was extremely disappointed that Chairman Ron didn't even approach Marshall - though not surprised. My next guy after that was Archie Miller, and not just because of his wife. And I was disappointed that Chairman Ron apparently made no effort in his direction either. But I was afraid Chairman Ron would go for someone like Howland, Mooney or Paulsen. So I was relieved it at least wasn't 1 of those guys.

I've been impressed with Danny on the recruiting front. He got some serviceable guys for this year at the last moment, has a real good class coming in next year and good potential for the following year. I always liked Danny as a player and he seems like a good guy. He's loaded for life and doesn't need the $$, so he has to be doing it because of a burning competitive desire. And even though he only has 2 years of HC experience, he was on Self's bench for a few years and has a great hoops pedigree. I think he'll do well. It's early in the year with a new system, so I'm more than willing to give him plenty of time. Again, my only disappointment last night was how stupid we were defensively. But it's not like the players weren't hustling or had bad body language, like they often did in the Redacted Era. Just looked like bad decision making on D. Hope that improves.

Well...

The Deacs are at 4-4 with the 4 losses being the following:

- 30 point beat down at Arkansas.
- DM pulling his best Chris Webber imitation to lose at home to Iona.
- The loss to Delaware State might be the worst loss in school history.... Yes, worse than Stetson.
- Down 1 pt to Minnesota at the half turns into 12 pts down in the first 3 minutes of the second with 3 time-outs burned.

We are 8 games in to the season and already there have been 4 fiascoes. I want to give DM the benefit of the doubt but after tonight I am putting his credibility on watch.

Is this for real?

He has very little with which to work. We have no height, below par rebounding, and little shooting. I can already see progress, though - it's apparent that he's making an impact on our team.

You know how when we are undergoing a coaching search and some posters will go to the message boards of a rumored coaching candidate and see how loved that particular coach is or how well regarded he is by the fans. If that particular coach is getting flamed, it doesn't frame that candidate in a favorable light. The same principle might apply for certain recruits.

You know how when we are undergoing a coaching search and some posters will go to the message boards of a rumored coaching candidate and see how loved that particular coach is or how well regarded he is by the fans. If that particular coach is getting flamed, it doesn't frame that candidate in a favorable light. The same principle might apply for certain recruits.

The difference is, unlike fans, a good AD actually interviews a coach, speaks to his peers, and talks to his co-workers rather than reading message boards to make his decision. Similarly, those certain recruits being discussed see and speak to our coaches and players in real life on a weekly basis.

Rooskin is also taking billboard donations on gofundme.com. PM him for more info.

worlds-tallest-shortest-men.jpg

Rooskin you are nothing but a no-good stinkin troublemaker around here! If I wasn't so short I'd kick you right in the fugging nuts!

Keep it up punk! Dino was a good man who got railroaded by the likes of you! I know you're behind the whole "Dino gotta go!" saying. Don't try and deny it you scumbag.

I have no idea how anybody can watch us play and have an opinion on Manning yet. It's just way too early for it. I like what I have seen for the most part in terms of playing hard and running a good offense (sans made shots).

Until we get talent in here it's a moot point.

Back