• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

I mean, I don't know all that much about basketball, but if it is abundantly clear that the inbounds pass will be a baseball pass (and nobody looks like they'll be coming backcourt to get a shorter pass), then why not keep the extra man on the other side of the court? It's not like the guy guarding the inbound passer is going to do much of anything if he's launching it high and long.

I mean, I don't know all that much about basketball, but if it is abundantly clear that the inbounds pass will be a baseball pass (and nobody looks like they'll be coming backcourt to get a shorter pass), then why not keep the extra man on the other side of the court? It's not like the guy guarding the inbound passer is going to do much of anything if he's launching it high and long.

Theory being that they can't get an good look at what's going on with a 7-1 guy guarding the line/waving his hand in your face.

Not sure why they didn't just screen a guy into the back-court and get a running shot/look at it.

one time 24 years ago a team was up and didn't guard the inbounder and the other team threw a miraculous pass and converted an equally miraculous shot so you always mention that game when deciding whether or not to have a 5 on 4 advantage in the half court or guard the inbounder

Theory being that they can't get an good look at what's going on with a 7-1 guy guarding the line/waving his hand in your face.

Not sure why they didn't just screen a guy into the back-court and get a running shot/look at it.

I understand the theory. But the Indiana player just launched it into a crowd anyways (and we had an extra guy in the crowd). Wouldn't have mattered if Doral was standing in front of him with his arms up.

If they had set up like they were going to screen a guy into the backcourt a la Vytus/CP3, then we certainly would have put somebody on the inbound and manned up.

Crean really messed that up because he didn't even wait to see what we were doing defensively before he called his final timeout.

I honestly don't know what he was thinking.

Also, I seem to remember the play-by-play guy pointing out that someone on the wake bench was encouraging them not to guard the inbounder (as if they had planned to do so). Could very well have been Ballard -- since Indiana was his scout, maybe he'd seen something like this from them before -- or perhaps it was Danny's call because he saw how they set up. This is why they get paid the big bucks.

so a guy people call doofus knows more about coaching inbounds plays than Manning and Crean?

btw, Bill Walton agrees with you.

In all seriousness, with IU's players all past midcourt, Manning played it exactly right under the given circumstances. If you are going back 23 years to find a supporting example (Walton), you don't have a good argument or you just aren't supporting it well.

From a site called Basketball HQ training videos and an article titled "Preparing for Late Game Situations: Defense"

3. If the other team has to go the length of the court, do you have a man on the ball or not? This is always a tough question. Yes you are giving the passer a free look to survey the court, but you could give your defense an additional defender to track the ball.

"Always guard the inbounder" may be one of those basketball cliches like "Always follow your shot" that may have fallen by the wayside in the modern game.

Pitino didn't screw up by not guarding the inbounder, he screwed up by yelling "and whatever you do, don't foul" to the guys as they were walking back out onto the court. Pelphrey or Feldhaus just stood their behind Laettner with their arms up, not contesting the pass or shot.

Now talk shit about Danny Manning you opinionated jerks! Geez, seems to be doing a great job to me and I thing Indiana will 2nd that opinion..

LOL. #SampleSizeDeac

That was a great game. Huge win for the Deacs and Manning.

[Redacted] had great games. If there is a trend of excellently coached games, you'll have a point and my opinion will change. One game does not a point make.

The only two legit wins Bzz had I can think off the top of my head were Miami CJ's senior year (Miami went to Sweet 16) and Duke the next year although Duke ended up losing in first round of NCAA's to Mercer.

The only two legit wins Bzz had I can think off the top of my head were Miami CJ's senior year (Miami went to Sweet 16) and Duke the next year although Duke ended up losing in first round of NCAA's to Mercer.

[Redacted]'s biggest win was beating wake when he was at air force. it helped get him the colorado job and guaranteed him 4 high paying years at wake. #WellmanOut

[Redacted]'s biggest win was beating wake when he was at air force. it helped get him the colorado job and guaranteed him 4 high paying years at wake. #WellmanOut

8d5RdCR.jpg

LOL. #SampleSizeDeac

That was a great game. Huge win for the Deacs and Manning.

[Redacted] had great games. If there is a trend of excellently coached games, you'll have a point and my opinion will change. One game does not a point make.

This. In his time at Wake, even [Redacted] beat at least three ranked teams, N.C. State was ranked 18 or 19, Miami was ranked 2 and Duke was in the top 5. Good win last night and I am really pleased to have a positive data point in the Danny Manning as head coach data set, but one good win does not erase all the red flags we've seen thus far from Manning and his staff.

The best "trend" so far, 4 games into his second season, is that Manning's low ranked recruits seem to be out performing their rankings. JC, Crawford, Dinos, Wilbekin, and Hudson makes 5 out of seven that seem to be better than advertised. Admittedly with JC and Crawford the data are sparse thus far.

Ask Rick Pitino

This. In his time at Wake, even [Redacted] beat at least three ranked teams, N.C. State was ranked 18 or 19, Miami was ranked 2 and Duke was in the top 5. Good win last night and I am really pleased to have a positive data point in the Danny Manning as head coach data set, but one good win does not erase all the red flags we've seen thus far from Manning and his staff.

The best "trend" so far, 4 games into his second season, is that Manning's low ranked recruits seem to be out performing their rankings. JC, Crawford, Dinos, Wilbekin, and Hudson makes 5 out of seven that seem to be better than advertised. Admittedly with JC and Crawford the data are sparse thus far.
Please don't try to compare Bzz and Manning. My God.

Bzz never won a big game outside of the Joel. Let's not go back to that misery please .

Just keep winning baby and all of the doubters concerns will be answered.

Bzz never won a big game outside of the Joel. Let's not go back to that misery please .

Absolutely no one is asking to go back to that misery, but at least a dozen posters on these boards seem be elated that our BB program is better that it was 3 years ago and that Manning is doing a better job than the last guy. I think the last guy set an awfully low expectation for success. I want Manning to be on par with or better than Skip or Odom and I refuse to settle for "Better than three season ago" as our standard for judging Manning. Fuck that standard. With or without yesterday's victory there is little to no evidence that our program is on a better trajectory that it was in 2012 or 2013, in part because there is not a lot of data but also because recruiting (on paper) seems weak and in game coaching is at least questionable. The reason for reference Bz's win over State, Miami and Duke is to note that yesterdays win, while awesome, doesn't mean a very much in a larger assessment, because even the worst coach in ACC history was able to beat a ranked team on occasion.

Back