• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

In addition to Wisconsin and Gonzaga, Tony Bennett is on quite a run at UVA without stars (Butler, Xavier and Wichita State also). If you can consistently recruit top 100 players, and you can implement a well coached system, you can have sustained success without lottery pick talent. Also, once you build the program, it's a lot easier to attract stars.

Was your goal to summarize the 10 posts above you Pilch? Because if so, you succeeded

I prefer beating top-15 teams in preseason tournaments to losing by 40 to Iona.

I guess tongue in cheek posts don't correspond well to message boards.

So does Manning get credit for going 4-2 with 2 top 50 wins while missing 2 of his top 5 players for each game? Or is there still zero evidence that he might be able to bring Wake back from the redacted era? I need a ruling.

So does Manning get credit for going 4-2 with 2 top 50 wins while missing 2 of his top 5 players for each game? Or is there still zero evidence that he might be able to bring Wake back from the redacted era? I need a ruling.

We will know a lot more in February or March.

Why the fuck do you need a ruling now in late November?

We will know a lot more in February or March.

Why the fuck do you need a ruling now in late November?

Just want to know what counts as positive evidence. Apparently there was none as of the beginning of the season and was just wondering if third place at the Maui Invitational with a shorthanded team counted.

Wow it's such a surprise people are extremely skeptical after what we experience the last few years, people that aren't skeptical are problem number 1.

Wow it's such a surprise people are extremely skeptical after what we experience the last few years, people that aren't skeptical are problem number 1.

There were and are enough questions about Manning's coaching ability to warrant skepticism. On the other hand, it's obvious that he's not a complete and abject failure like Bzdoofus, and there have been enough positive signs thus far to justify some optimism. There's no reason for people to be so dug into their positions so as to be sniping at each other, particularly after a win like tonight's. Really wish we could get away from eating our own after the last five years.

Being skeptical is fine, as is being cautiously optimistic. The difference is whether you choose to see the glass as half empty or half full. However, pretending that the glass is completely empty is about as stupid as pretending that it's completely full.

I haven't heard many people come out and definitively say "Manning is the guy, he's going to get us back to pre-redacted and potentially take us higher". But it makes no sense to use the redacted era as an excuse to shit on people who say "Hey, this Manning guy might be alright, I could optimistically see him getting us back to where we were pre-redacted."

This board overreacts to non-con losses every year. Young teams lose those games early in the season - we aren't Duke, we can't just expect to out talent everyone. Beating IU and UCLA on the road is 10x as informative about this team as our loss to Richmond. Good teams lay eggs every year at this time. Where we actually lose our season every year is in the dregs of January and March when we lose 3-4-5 ACC games in a row.

There were and are enough questions about Manning's coaching ability to warrant skepticism. On the other hand, it's obvious that he's not a complete and abject failure like Bzdoofus, and there have been enough positive signs thus far to justify some optimism. There's no reason for people to be so dug into their positions so as to be sniping at each other, particularly after a win like tonight's. Really wish we could get away from eating our own after the last five years.

Agree with everything but this. 1. That's just what we do, and 2. There are still plenty that deserve to get eaten after the redacted era.

Back