• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Just want to know what counts as positive evidence. Apparently there was none as of the beginning of the season and was just wondering if third place at the Maui Invitational with a shorthanded team counted.

It s not that hard. Beating Indiana, beating UCLA and placing third in the Maui invitation counts as positive evidence, Losing to Richmond, getting trounced by Vandy and bringing in a pretty weak looking 2016 recruiting class counts as negative evidence. Still not clear to me if Manning will bring Wake back to the glory days of the mid 90's, but it's probably safe to say he is a better coach than [Redacted]....Yay!

Just want to know what counts as positive evidence. Apparently there was none as of the beginning of the season and was just wondering if third place at the Maui Invitational with a shorthanded team counted.

It doesn't hurt. No doubt about that.

Yeah but the ones that deserve to get eaten after the redacted era are the ones that are either AD employees or those like dentists that felate all things AD. It's dumb to snip about any skepticism, sure people like Ruskin are dumb as shit but concerns like rotations shouldn't just be brushed off. So far this season it looks like the stink is finally falling off though, so most are probably cautiously optimistic.

Do we have to resurrect this thread every time we win or lose a game?

This team confuses the mess out of me. We get beat by Richmond, then we upset Indiana, just to get facial abused by Vanderbilt, but finish with a solid win against UCLA. I swear I think Sidney Lowe is coaching this team. He was the king of losing to teams he shouldn't and beating the ones he shouldn't. I am still concerned about the rotation and recruiting class we have coming in. We are the definition of a roller coaster team.

Dropping the Richmond game sucks (although if we had CMM and Hudson we probably win easily), but there is nothing to hang our heads about losing to Vanderbilt. That is a very good team and likely cracks the Top Ten before January.

I think Vanderbilt is easily the best team we have played and probably will be until we face Duke.

This team confuses the mess out of me. We get beat by Richmond, then we upset Indiana, just to get facial abused by Vanderbilt, but finish with a solid win against UCLA. I swear I think Sidney Lowe is coaching this team. He was the king of losing to teams he shouldn't and beating the ones he shouldn't. I am still concerned about the rotation and recruiting class we have coming in. We are the definition of a roller coaster team.

Vanderbilt is clearly the best team among that bunch. Not the best comparison.

Given the players we had available I'm pretty sure most people would have expected us to lose all 4 of those games. The fact that Manning went 2-2 is impressive, not confusing

When CMM broke his foot, I pretty much wrote this season off. Our best chance to win some games is early and the ACC is so strong this year, 10 wins was looking like the best we could hope for. Then to lose crab and Crawford getting sick... I am thrilled to see how we are playing, especially short handed. 3rd place Maui finish, even if ucla and Indiana turn out to be not so good. Ucla is decent, Indiana has some problems. Sure the UR loss is not good, but they aren't a pushover by any stretch, given our injuries and suspensions, it isn't a horrible loss either. All in all, I am cautiously optimistic about this year and hoping we can make a tournament this year, or at least make selection Sunday interesting...

When CMM broke his foot, I pretty much wrote this season off. Our best chance to win some games is early and the ACC is so strong this year, 10 wins was looking like the best we could hope for. Then to lose crab and Crawford getting sick... I am thrilled to see how we are playing, especially short handed. 3rd place Maui finish, even if ucla and Indiana turn out to be not so good. Ucla is decent, Indiana has some problems. Sure the UR loss is not good, but they aren't a pushover by any stretch, given our injuries and suspensions, it isn't a horrible loss either. All in all, I am cautiously optimistic about this year and hoping we can make a tournament this year, or at least make selection Sunday interesting...

I can agree with this as I was pretty down on us after the Richmond loss. I was in the same boat as writing the season off but we have really showed some moxy. It will be interesting to see how these games project to the rest of the season.

The Richmond win over Cal last night shows that they may just be a decent to good team. Unfortunately as Wake fans we have been conditioned to think one negative thing means the sky is falling. I think we win some games in the ACC and finish middle of the pack.

IMO, Coach Manning and the team deserves our support and we should kill this thread. While shorthanded, we lost to a good Richmond team. Wake was in the discussion for Giles. Let's fill the stands and help by making the Joel a tough place to play! I am hoping for a good season. Go Deacs!

The Richmond win over Cal last night shows that they may just be a decent to good team. Unfortunately as Wake fans we have been conditioned to think one negative thing means the sky is falling. I think we win some games in the ACC and finish middle of the pack.

This part, at least in my case, is not quite right. Borrowing your metaphor; from my perspective, the sky actually collapsed on Wake basketball 5.5 years ago. We are hoping for someone to rebuild that sky, and we couldn't possibly be worried about the sky falling again because we still see it in pieces on the ground all around us. Whenever bad news happens it reminds (some of) us that the sky collapsed 5.5 years ago and it still hasn't been repaired... even though Ron Wellman finally put up some scaffolding and hired some guys that look like construction workers who are now standing around looking like they might begin to start to repair the sky. So, I am still skeptical. Even though Manning is really tall, I see that he has little past experience in sky rebuilding work and I see mistakes here and there as he starts to put the sky pieces back together. I also know that even if he gets a few things right, there is still a whole fucking sky to rebuild and I am not going to get too excited about him fitting a couple pieces back together way over on the western side (i.e., Maui). Have I carried this metaphor far enough?

Last edited:
Dropping the Richmond game sucks (although if we had CMM and Hudson we probably win easily), but there is nothing to hang our heads about losing to Vanderbilt. That is a very good team and likely cracks the Top Ten before January.

I think Vanderbilt is easily the best team we have played and probably will be until we face Duke.

This. It's crazy to think our loss to what is obviously a very solid Vandy team could possibly call into question our staff's credibility, especially since we bookended it with solid wins. Let's also remember that early season CBB is full of upsets, especially this season. How many top 25 teams have had losses equal to UR? And most of those teams were at full strength. If we are able to be consistently competitive v legit top 25 teams, then we would also be top 25...Manning doesn't need to achieve top 25 this season to maintain his 'credibility'.

Can we just enjoy finally playing competitively? I'll take DV7's God damned thread over this one any day.

This part, at least in my case, is not quite right. Borrowing your metaphor; from my perspective, the sky actually collapsed on Wake basketball 5.5 years ago. We are hoping for someone to rebuild that sky, and we couldn't possibly be worried about the sky falling again because we still see it in pieces on the ground all around us. Whenever bad news happens it reminds (some of) us that the sky collapsed 5.5 years ago and it still hasn't been repaired... even though Ron Wellman finally put up some scaffolding and hired some guys that look like construction workers who are now standing around looking like they might begin to start to repair the sky. So, I am still skeptical. Even though Manning is really tall, I see that he has little past experience in sky rebuilding work and I see mistakes here and there as he starts to put the sky pieces back together. I also know that even if he gets a few things right, there is still a whole fucking sky to rebuild and I am not going to get too excited about him fitting a couple pieces back together way over on the western side (i.e., Maui). Have I carried this metaphor far enough?

Sorry to go logical and philosophical on you, but not only did you carry the metaphor too far, and make a directional mistake, but your base premise is wrong. It is physically impossible for the sky to fall. Not just unlikely, but impossible. The whole point of the "sky is falling" fable is that it is useless to worry about things that can't possibly happen, not that something catastrophic may happen. I would argue that something bad happening in WFU sports is actually fairly common, not unlikely, and certainly not impossible. I applaud your efforts but I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. :)

Anyone who thought otherwise hasn't been paying attention to college basketball for the past 10 years.

If our worst loss ends up being Richmond we will likely be in really good shape.

Richmond is a solid mid major program but not an elite one (Xavier, Gonzaga, etc). A home loss to them is not a good one and could keep us out of post season. It's been four years since they were in the NCAAT

Back