• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Richmond is a solid mid major program but not an elite one (Xavier, Gonzaga, etc). A home loss to them is not a good one and could keep us out of post season. It's been four years since they were in the NCAAT
Richmond has finished with a better RPI than us for 4 of the last 5 years, and they've averaged 20 wins a season for almost a decade. Crying over a loss to Richmond is stupid. They didnt need to beat Cal for us to excuse that loss.

Richmond is a solid mid major program but not an elite one (Xavier, Gonzaga, etc). A home loss to them is not a good one and could keep us out of post season. It's been four years since they were in the NCAAT

Top 100 losses, even at home, aren't bad losses and won't keep a team with an otherwise strong resume out of the tournament

It's a pet peeve when posters say "top 100" teams as if that's good.

LOL losing to Richmond at home is not a good loss. Finishing better than us four out of last five years isn't saying much.

LOL losing to Richmond at home is not a good loss. Finishing better than us four out of last five years isn't saying much.
Thats a strawman because no one called it a "good loss", it's just not worthy of the knashing of teeth thats been done over it - its not a "bad" loss, its just a loss.

Thats a strawman because no one called it a "good loss", it's just not worthy of the knashing of teeth thats been done over it - its not a "bad" loss, its just a loss.

Top 100 losses, even at home, aren't bad losses and won't keep a team with an otherwise strong resume out of the tournament

LOL. It's not not a bad loss. How was that?

Lurker's point seemed fair. Home loss to Richmond for a bubble team doesn't help our cause. I have a hard time thinking the Richmond loss will be what keeps us out of the tournament though...

LOL. It's not not a bad loss. How was that?

Lurker's point seemed fair. Home loss to Richmond for a bubble team doesn't help our cause. I have a hard time thinking the Richmond loss will be what keeps us out of the tournament though...
We're a bubble team at best right now, losing to another bubble team isn't a bad loss. That ACC patch on our jerseys doesnt put any extra points on the board.

Last edited:
We're a bubble team at best right now, losing to another bubble team isn't a bad loss. That ACC patch on our jerseys doesnt put any extra points on the board.

Not sure what you are saying about a patch on the jersey. i don't follow Richmond, just didn't realize they were a bubble team. I don't remember the last time they were in the NCAA tournament and they were picked to finish sixth in the A10. I'm not sure how many teams the A10 gets in.

I'm not sure who you were referring to with the teeth knashing or crying comments, but I don't see how Richmond being better than predicted is a bad thing in looking at the loss. Your statement that Richmond has been good enough for the past couple of years to justify our losing to them is pretty dumb, as they haven't been in the tournament in forever and finishing better than us has been no real accomplishment, either.

There is no way to know who is a "bubble team" in November.

If you consider what I said an "excuse", then your expectation for this season was way too high.

I think that explains most of the "I can't believe we lost to Richmond" reactions on here. The best we could reasonably expect this year was to be on the bubble. One bubble-at-best team missing 2 starters and losing to another bubble-at-best team is not a bad loss. Such losses are to be expected unless you think Wake ( minus two starters) is much better than your average bubble team.

Seems to me the "bad loss" is very much because, even without two starters, it was a winnable game. Pretty sure danny thought that was too and it led to much better effort by the team in maui. Players and staff.

I think that explains most of the "I can't believe we lost to Richmond" reactions on here. The best we could reasonably expect this year was to be on the bubble. One bubble-at-best team missing 2 starters and losing to another bubble-at-best team is not a bad loss. Such losses are to be expected unless you think Wake ( minus two starters) is much better than your average bubble team.

I expected us to beat Richmond but I am not surprised we didn't. The past few match ups at home have been pretty close. But some of the comments around that loss are the epitome of LOWF. We should always expect to beat a mediocre A10 program on our home court. Always. And it should always be a disappointment when we don't.

Are we still debating if losing to Richmond was a bad loss? Jesus, people. Let's relish in the fact that we won two games that few gave us a chance to win, rather than wallow in aftermath of one loss. Especially a loss to a team who typically takes us to the wire, no matter the coach. We weren't beat by Stetson or Presbyterian. Go Deacs! Need to take care of business the next few games and take some momentum into the meat of our schedule.

Back