• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Also, let's look at every other team in College hoops who stumbled over an early non conference loss. It happens every year, to a lot of very, good teams.

Also, let's look at every other team in College hoops who stumbled over an early non conference loss. It happens every year, to a lot of very, good teams.

Losing to Richmond is not good for a team that has a small margin for error. The consternation comes more from the fact that the bench seemded clueless as to what to do, and the lineups made little sense. That is a problem.

I don't give a shit what the situation is you try to win every game, and the Richmond game still puzzles me. The good news is that DM and Co. Did a great job in Maui. We were just exhausted against Vandy.

Last year there were some games in which bench coaching was highly questionable. It didn't matter then. It does now. DM is doing a great job identifying, and so far developing talent. I haven't seen a game tactician.

Losing to Richmond is not good for a team that has a small margin for error. The consternation comes more from the fact that the bench seemded clueless as to what to do, and the lineups made little sense. That is a problem.

I don't give a shit what the situation is you try to win every game, and the Richmond game still puzzles me. The good news is that DM and Co. Did a great job in Maui. We were just exhausted against Vandy.

Last year there were some games in which bench coaching was highly questionable. It didn't matter then. It does now. DM is doing a great job identifying, and so far developing talent. I haven't seen a game tactician.

I'm not disagreeing that losing to Richmond doesn't suck, it does. I feel a little better after seeing them beat a top 15 team after beating us. Our margin for error is indeed small. We must win the next 4 games and sport an 8-2record before we truly find out how good this team is capable of being.

I'm not really sure what the last pages of thread are really debating - both sides seem correct. It's annoying and sucks we lost to Richmond (h) but it isn't going to kill us.

At the end of the day we can probably lose 11ish (+/- one or two) games and make the NCAA tournament. It really sucks that we wasted one on Richmond at home. That's a high probabilty win for a tournament team. But it isn't going to hurt us if we do well in conference play and most every bubble team will have worse losses.

I expected us to beat Richmond but I am not surprised we didn't. The past few match ups at home have been pretty close. But some of the comments around that loss are the epitome of LOWF. We should always expect to beat a mediocre A10 program on our home court. Always. And it should always be a disappointment when we don't.

every loss is disappointing.

It's not LOWF to point out that for this current Wake Forest team, down two starters, Richmond was at best a 50/50 game.

I didn't see the Richmond game and don't recall the specific conversation. What was so bad about the lineups for Richmond beyond people stating that Van Horn played too many minutes?

I didn't see the Richmond game and don't recall the specific conversation. What was so bad about the lineups for Richmond beyond people stating that Van Horn played too many minutes?

-Manning sat Wilbekin for 10-12 straight minutes because he picked up a 2nd foul which was ridiculous with our situation.
-Collins was on the bench fully rested for periods where O'Brien was playing
-During a key stretch of the 2nd half we had Van Horn/O'Brien/Doral Moore on the floor at the same time!!

Thanks, Vwls. I don't mean to rehash the debate, just didn't remember the discussion in detail.

Not sure what you are saying about a patch on the jersey. i don't follow Richmond, just didn't realize they were a bubble team. I don't remember the last time they were in the NCAA tournament and they were picked to finish sixth in the A10. I'm not sure how many teams the A10 gets in.

I'm not sure who you were referring to with the teeth knashing or crying comments, but I don't see how Richmond being better than predicted is a bad thing in looking at the loss. Your statement that Richmond has been good enough for the past couple of years to justify our losing to them is pretty dumb, as they haven't been in the tournament in forever and finishing better than us has been no real accomplishment, either.

Over the last 5 years the 6th place team in the A10 has finished an average of 50 spots higher in Kenpom than the 11th place team in the ACC. Wake was picked to finish 11th.

Yeah, but playing the #50 team at home is easier than playing the #150 team on the road

Yeah, but playing the #50 team at home is easier than playing the #150 team on the road

Yeah that's not even remotely close to being true.

Using Kenpom, playing the #150 team on the road is like playing the #80ish team at home. Playing the #50 team at home is like playing the #85-90ish team on the road.

Last edited:
So stupid to continue this thread during the season. After every win, DM becomes a better coach than we thought? After every loss, a worse one? :tard: Too bad that college basketball does not play 4 quarters, we could analyze DM's credibility as coach after each quarter. :wtf:

Why not wait until season's end to see if the program has taken a step forward or back?

To analyze DM's "credibility" after every game brings this board to even greater level's of inane drivel.

Last edited:
So stupid to continue this thread during the season. After every win, DM becomes a better coach than we thought? After every loss, a worse one? :tard: Too bad that college basketball does not play 4 quarters, we could analyze DM's credibility as coach after each quarter. :wtf:

Why not wait until season's end to see if the program has taken a step forward or back?

To analyze DM's "credibility" after every game brings this board to even greater level's of inane drivel.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

WTF was DM doing today? Worst coaching I've ever seen. Junior high level crap won't beat Boheim.

We appear to be years away from being relevant. I must say this team today appeared to have no leaders and no heart. No sense of urgency in a must win home game. Season over

No doubt Manning knows basketball and, by all appearances, is a genuinely nice person.

However, he appears to be in WAY over his head with this job.

Back