• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

We are going to get stomped into the ground tonight if we try to guard them man to man.

Not sure a zone would do any better though. Playing effective zone D takes a ton of practice, and I don't think Manning has spent much practice time working on it. UNC would also have a field day on the offensive glass if we were to go zone. If there was a simple solution to our defensive woes, I think Manning and the staff would've figured it out by now. Unfortunately I think it's more of a personnel issues. Our guards cannot stay in front of their men and lack a true rim protector. We have a few players (Dinos and Wilbekin) who just aren't athletic enough and our freshman can't defend without fouling.

With that being said, I'm all for Manning mixing it up defensively. There's nothing more frustrating than watching our guys get beat repeatedly on the same play--often on something as simple as a high ball screen. Looking back, I think our best defense so far this year was played in the Louisville game when we were picking them up full court. This at least made them work a little to get into their half-court sets and took some time off the clock, only giving them about 20 seconds to run their offense. I wonder why Manning hasn't gone back to this since. I know were not gonna wreak havoc and force many TO's, but this seems to be our best option right now. Also helps having Rondale for some extra guard depth as this full court D will cause our guards to get tired faster.

Cuse was a bigger,stronger,faster and more talented team. They have the length and athleticism to shut down and collapse on our shooters, as well as prevent us from breaking down their zone. Come late Feb we may be playing better ball than them, but we aren't at this point.

This team was undoubtedly going to have growing pains. Outside of Devin, we are relying on nothing but underclassmen. Especially since Codi has been so inconsistent. We haven't completely turned the corner but we're worth watching again, which is a step in the right direction. Now isn't the time to turn your back on Danny or the team.

Top 5 teams have struggled with upsets this week- might as well continue that theme at #2 Cheater Hill tonight! :)

I'm surprised so many people think we'll cover tonight, especially after the Cuse game.

I'm not saying its impossible - just improbable.

I'm surprised so many people think we'll cover tonight, especially after the Cuse game.

I'm not saying its impossible - just improbable.

Well there you go. I guess some of you are better tuned to Vegas lines than I.

Well there you go. I guess some of you are better tuned to Vegas lines than I.

Covering or not, the team is in disarray right now. Chemistry bad, Manning illogical in game-time decisions.

Simplest solution is to start Crawford and only give Codi minutes when he's playing well. Missing the entire rim on FTs is enough to bench him. Save him and the program some face. Can't say Collins and Moore aren't playing because of bad D....whole team plays bad D. They need more minutes, simply put. When Moore was in UNC struggled inside on O.

Let Crawford learn and grow from mistakes. Unfortunately, Codi is no better in his problem areas since he was a freshman. Same for Devin (FTs and his mouth). I don't think these guys like each other. And with the microscope that is WF, some may leave ala Moto, Cav, etc.....

I have restrained myself from posting lately but the UVA game was a gut punch. Why didn't we defend the inbounds pass at the end? We played a hell of a game only to lose it in the final second. Even then Danny should have called a TO when they started storming back late in the 2nd. Thank goodness for BC or we would be last in the league.

I have restrained myself from posting lately but the UVA game was a gut punch. Why didn't we defend the inbounds pass at the end? We played a hell of a game only to lose it in the final second. Even then Danny should have called a TO when they started storming back late in the 2nd. Thank goodness for BC or we would be last in the league.

Yep, thank our lucky stars for BC. In football, men's basketball, and women's basketball combined, they have a grand total of one ACC win this year. The Deacs have 4 wins total, with 2 of them coming against the Eagles.

Syracuse was shooting free throws with 2.8 seconds left in a one possession game yesterday. Didn't miss on purpose, didn't have anyone rebounding, then didn't guard the inbounder. Guess Jim Boeheim is an idiot as well.

Syracuse was shooting free throws with 2.8 seconds left in a one possession game yesterday. Didn't miss on purpose, didn't have anyone rebounding, then didn't guard the inbounder. Guess Jim Boeheim is an idiot as well.

Up 1 and Up 2 is completely different ballgame. Surely you understand why.

Up 1 and Up 2 is completely different ballgame. Surely you understand why.

Not for guarding the inbounder and not for putting nobody on the line it isn't. Also interesting is what happened on the play because it actually supports missing intentionally. They made the free throw and used the extra defender to guard against a long pass just like we did. GaTech threw long anyway unlike UVA, and the extra defender knocked it away. But it bounced right to a GaTech player who got an open look from 30 feet - looked perfect but was just short, hit front iron. I'd bet it was more likely to go in than the bank shot against us though statistically.

If you miss intentionally there's almost no chance to have anything more than about a 3/4 court heave at 2.8 seconds. Same game featured the "foul when you're up 3" move by Syracuse which backfired when GaTech made the first and got the offensive rebound on the 2nd.

Not interested in the pissing contest, but I'd certainly take a 3/4 court throw up 2 than a decent look up 3. And I wouldn't be surprised if the overall win percentage statistically favors the intentional miss in both scenarios.

Yikes! Today's game was a step back for this team. I am not sure if the team or Manning cares which is the most troubling.

UVA took two steps forward with a good road showing at Louisville after the gifted win at Wake.

We took two steps back in an admitted road loss "beat down" as per DM. Coaching matters....

UVA took two steps forward with a good road showing at Louisville after the gifted win at Wake.

We took two steps back in an admitted road loss "beat down" as per DM. Coaching matters....

I remember us looking down on UVa after the Bennett hire but he is a hell of a coach. If he had this team, I think we would be looking at an NIT berth possibly NCAA play in game instead of trying to be .500

I don't remember that at all.

I don't remember that at all.

Living in Virginia we know a ton of UVA alumni and very active sports fans. I don't know what Wake thought of the hire, but UVA fans here weren't very impressed. I remember in 2011 when we beat them for our one and only ACC win all season they were skewering him. Even with some injuries there were a lot of future and borderline NBA guys on those squads, and UVA was boring as shit to watch. They rode a soft schedule to an NCAA blowout and then regressed to the NIT in years 3 and 4. Couple guys I knew wanted him fired, saying there was way too much talent to have zero ACC tournament wins and zero NCAA tournament wins in 4 years.

Then again they're UVA fans so they all feel like they should be just as good as Duke and UNC every year. Even after the past 2 years a lot of them think his style is good for racking up regular season wins but doesn't lend itself to postseason success. Go figure.

I remember us looking down on UVa after the Bennett hire but he is a hell of a coach. If he had this team, I think we would be looking at an NIT berth possibly NCAA play in game instead of trying to be .500

That's a really difficult point to make.

Bennett is exceptional (and pretty much the anti-bz in so many ways), but his teams thrive on the defensive side of the ball.

If you look at the build of this WF team, I don't think you could plug a coach like Bennett in and expect the results you mention until he was able to recruit to his tempo and style. It certainly would be interesting to see, though.

Back