• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

If we suck again next year, does the seat get warm?

We're not going to have a senior that contributes for the next two years. It's hard to blame the coach when he is dealt that kind of hand.

We're not going to have a senior that contributes for the next two years. It's hard to blame the coach when he is dealt that kind of hand.

You can be a much better team than we are without a "contributing senior". Besides, graduate transfers are a thing. Check out our peer group.

2ry6olh.gif

If we suck in year 3, we can't just reset the clock and give a completely unproven coach 3-4 more years to install his system and players in hopes that he eventually proves himself.

Last edited:
Ha, if he was a Wake hire we'd say he inherited an NCAA team and two years later turned them into an NIT first round loser. One sophomore, the rest all juniors and seniors for both his NCAA squads - not a single player of his.

I'd actually be pretty curious to see the board's reaction to 4 years of Manning with zero NCAA Tournament wins and zero ACC tournament wins - but back-to-back 20+ win seasons.

Regardless what a strange idea to rewrite the history of the UVA fanbase in their favor on the Wake Forest sports board. What's next, a thread about how the Cameron Crazies are underrates as a fanbase? A defense of UNC's paper class system?

Ridiculous post

If we suck again next year, does the seat get warm?

I don't understand how it can't (save for the fact that Wellman is Wellman). We took a flyer on Manning. To this point, I don't see much evidence that he's the guy we all hoped he'd be. Sure, we're better than we were under [name redacted], but only marginally so. If it's not blatantly obvious after year 3 that he's capable of leading the rebuild at something other than a snail's pace, you've got to seriously start looking for someone who can. Otherwise, an entire decade will pass before Wake Forest even sniffs the top 25 again.

I don't understand how it can't (save for the fact that Wellman is Wellman). We took a flyer on Manning. To this point, I don't see much evidence that he's the guy we all hoped he'd be. Sure, we're better than we were under [name redacted], but only marginally so. If it's not blatantly obvious after year 3 that he's capable of leading the rebuild at something other than a snail's pace, you've got to seriously start looking for someone who can. Otherwise, an entire decade will pass before Wake Forest even sniffs the top 25 again.

I am more worried about us sniffing the top half of the ACC, forget the top 25. I am worried about Wellman running another coaching search and getting the right guy.

I hope I am wrong, but I just don't think Manning is the guy. I am also probably alone in this, but I would love to see Pat Kelsey become our next coach. I remember his fire as an assistant under Skip and how much the players loved him, and I love the story of how he single-handedly went out and got Farouq. On casual inspection, he has done a good job of turning around the Winthrop program and has been a win away from the tournament two years in a row as the runners up for the Big South title.

Who do you think is gonna be the next batch of up and coming coaches in the next few years (besides Archie, of course)? Bryce Drew? Blanking right now.

Who do you think is gonna be the next batch of up and coming coaches in the next few years (besides Archie, of course)? Bryce Drew? Blanking right now.

Russell Turner, of course!!!11!!

Jerod Haase has UAB buzzing with their tear through the CUSA tourney last year, combined with a 14 game win streak earlier this year that has the Blazers at 18 - 4 (8 - 1 in the conference).

Not saying he's the next Wake guy, but he's certainly doing great things to try and revitalize UAB basketball.

Last edited:

Ben Jacobson
Archie Miller
Bryce Drew
Tad Boyle
Wayne Tinkle
Pat Kelsey
Fran McCaffery

It is a pretty mixed bag right now to be honest.

I don't think it is fair to take swipes at Dino given the situation that he was put in from the wake of Skip's death. Also, the comparison I was trying to get with Bennett was that he was a major unknown because he had success with players that he didn't recruit and had no ties to the area for recruiting. The homerun hire makes no sense because he had just come off a 17-16 season and no one was excited about a "boring" basketball hire. If anything, I find Manning more comparable to... Sidney Lowe... without the first year success.
Funny you say that. I am very concerned that Manning is another Sydney Lowe.

Funny you say that. I am very concerned that Manning is another Sydney Lowe.

If we made a Sidney Lowe type hire than we need to act fast and show him the door. NCSU biggest mistake was keeping Lowe too long even when things were not working out.

I am more worried about us sniffing the top half of the ACC, forget the top 25. I am worried about Wellman running another coaching search and getting the right guy.

If Manning fails, I just don't see Wellman running the next search. Having a new AD not on the cusp of being shitcanned hire a new coach will increase the likelihood of finding who we actually want. Besides, Wellman will have effectively completely killed Wake basketball at that point, its primary revenue sport.

If Manning fails, I just don't see Wellman running the next search. Having a new AD not on the cusp of being shitcanned hire a new coach will increase the likelihood of finding who we actually want. Besides, Wellman will have effectively completely killed Wake basketball at that point, its primary revenue sport.

I couldn't agree with you more. However, what's more concerning is the fact we have Hatch. I just don't see Hatch giving a damn about what's best for Wake Forest athletics and will just put some crony into the position.

Besides, Wellman will have effectively completely killed Wake basketball at that point, its primary revenue sport.
Is that last part a fact? For the vast majority of schools, football is the top revenue generator. Even at basketball-crazy Kentucky, Football makes the cash.

Wellman didn't hire Manning by himself. He was overruled after the [Redacted] hire. That's a fact.

No way people with money/in power would let that happen again.

Back