• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Wellman didn't hire Manning by himself. He was overruled after the [Redacted] hire. That's a fact.

No way people with money/in power would let that happen again.

you are more in the know about this stuff than i am.

however, the "people with money/in power" showed with [Redacted] that their judgement is... questionable. too many of them seem to value their status/access to the program and getting a handy from wellman than they actually seem to give a sh!t about fielding winning sports teams.

also has anything good happened under hatch? not just talking sports. if you (reading this now) are one of those "people with money/power" you might want to take a long hard look at the hatch tenure.

During the coaching search it seemed apparent that any feelers being sent out were being rejected. Many of us were led to believe that Shaka was actually a possibility (just like Giles) and while we were all wrapped up in the hype, Wellman was reaching out to others to find out interest level was low. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it brought to our attention that Michael White said "No thanks"? If you can't "steal" the coaches from schools like Dayton or La Tech then the remaining choices are not going to be all that exciting.

I realize Manning was arguably the best option that was available, but would be lying if thus far I didn't claim his in game coaching to be a bit lackluster.

Good coaches work with bad hands they are dealt and make that team better.

Maybe this is better /shrug. I'm not saying what he's done has been great, I'm just warning that even a little improvement next year could be a bigger step forward than it seems. It sounds like a moral victory, but people are going to have to look past the W/L next year, and look at player development. We could realistically be starting 3 sophomores and 2 freshmen by mid season. While that's good that Manning will have recruited his entire starting line up in 2 and a half recruiting cycles, it's bad bc I have a tough time thinking a line up of that age is going to be good week in, week out. (And if it isn't 3 sophs and 2 fresh, then is anyone really excited that that means Hudson or Wilbekin is starting?)

Now that the toughest part of our schedule is out of the way, I still think this team will end up with the amount of wins most people thought they would have at the beginning of the season. We didn't upset anyone in the ACC, which is disappointing, but we can still beat all of the teams in the middle of the pack, minus Cuse. And we do have 3 wins that most people considered (hoped would be) toss ups in Indiana, UCLA, and LSU.

All that to say, I think we're in for another tough year next year, even if Izzo walked through the door.

Last edited:
Oh how I miss seeing CP3 driving and dishing to Justin Gray in the corner for an automatic three. People knew the shot was going in before the pass left CP3's hands.

I barely can recall good Wake basketball moments. It's like when you break up with a girlfriend and a few years later have a tough time remembering their face.

During the coaching search it seemed apparent that any feelers being sent out were being rejected. Many of us were led to believe that Shaka was actually a possibility (just like Giles) and while we were all wrapped up in the hype, Wellman was reaching out to others to find out interest level was low. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it brought to our attention that Michael White said "No thanks"? If you can't "steal" the coaches from schools like Dayton or La Tech then the remaining choices are not going to be all that exciting.

I realize Manning was arguably the best option that was available, but would be lying if thus far I didn't claim his in game coaching to be a bit lackluster.

Manning was the best option available but at the end of the day we were getting desperate ourselves. I think it just goes to show where the program is on a national perspective as well as where it is viewed in the eyes of coaches. We got Manning and the results seem to look a lot like NCSU with Sidney Lowe.

We were desperate. Meanwhile VT stole Marquette's coach. Failure of leadership.

I'm worried about who the next AD will be much more than the next coach.

We were desperate. Meanwhile VT stole Marquette's coach. Failure of leadership.

I'm worried about who the next AD will be much more than the next coach.

That was a hell of a coup for VT to land Buzz Williams.

VT fired their previous coach and hired Buzz while we were putting together our dog and pony show to try to orchestrate what a great guy Jeff [name redacted] was when everybody knew he was getting canned.

Regarding big donors/people in the know/with the $, there is still way too much LOWF for us to show any measurable improvements in our platform sports. This is coming from CreamyG too...LOWF runs through my blood.

VT fired their previous coach and hired Buzz while we were putting together our dog and pony show to try to orchestrate what a great guy Jeff [name redacted] was when everybody knew he was getting canned.

They also fired him after two years instead of clinging to him for four, yet were still able to land a home run hire. This in spite of the moaning and wailing of certain posters around here that no coach would ever come to Wake if we didn't give Buzz a fair shot.

Yep. Waiting just made the job less attractive.

They also fired him after two years instead of clinging to him for four, yet were still able to land a home run hire. This in spite of the moaning and wailing of certain posters around here that no coach would ever come to Wake if we didn't give Buzz a fair shot.

To be fair to those posters, our situation was different...having just fired Dino after three moderately successful seasons and an NCAA tourney win, firing 2 coaches in two season might make working for Wellman seem less attractive. Johnson at VT was an internal promotion after Green retired or resigned or what ever. He had a chance, was in way over his head and they let him go. I am not defending Wellman, just describing the model that some posters were probably using to argue for giving Bz 3 or more season. Personally I think we should have fired him after the Stetson game.

VT pretty much hired Buzz before they fired Johnson. Well done by the AD, but I don't think they fire Johnson without knowing that.

This would all be fine if we were not paying a premium for a mostly unproven DM. That's the kicker to all this. We probably paid more than the AD wanted and it wasn't for a legit up and comer. We paid more for pedigree than past results.

It's pretty sad that VT is better than us in year 2 given that Buzz started with a completely blank roster. They essentially have zero production (2ppg) that was on the roster in 2014.

And that they are (were) a weaker basketball school in general

VT pretty much hired Buzz before they fired Johnson. Well done by the AD, but I don't think they fire Johnson without knowing that.

Whit Babcock had that locked down long before it was announced. Buzz wasn't happy at Marquette and Babcock knew it. He called him and offered him and Buzz almost immediately accepted. He was closing on his house the day of the introduction press conference if that tells you anything.

having just fired Dino after three moderately successful seasons and an NCAA tourney win, firing 2 coaches in two season might make working for Wellman seem less attractive.

The word on Wellman seems to be out regardless. The whisper campaign against Dino that he used to justify the [name redacted] hire likely did was more damage than firing the huge dumpster fire of a failure that was/is [name redacted] after year two ever could have.

Last edited:
Back