• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

We might not win the rest of the year. This NCSU squad is horrible and was a great chance for us to pick up a road win, looks like we missed out again :(

BC and VT home games coming up- we've got this!

We owe Buzz one and if it's at all possible BC is worse than we are.

Yeah, he just has to become a much, much better in-game coach, motivator, and recruiter. All he needs is time; kind of like, with enough time, a monkey sitting at a typewriter will eventually bang out the complete works of Shakespeare.

This guy right here knows what's up

BC and VT home games coming up- we've got this!

We owe Buzz one and if it's at all possible BC is worse than we are.

VT is 5-7 in the ACC and has nice wins over Clemson and UVA. Who in their right mind expects us to win that game?

My first criticism of the coaching staff... it was evident, especially in the 2nd half, that NCS' entire offense was Barber who was going to drive and score or be fouled. We knew what was coming and had no answer for it. Painful to witness.

My biggest concern with Manning is our complete lack of ability to play defense. You can put any word in front of "defense" and we do it poorly. Zone Defense, Man-to-Man Defense, Transition Defense, Half Court Defense, Help-side Defense, and so on...At DM's initial press conference, he said something like, "We will hang our hat on the defensive end." Does this look like a team that wants to excel on defense?!? This is not only the worse Wake Forest defensive basketball team I have ever seen in 25 years of following Wake sports, it may be the worst college defensive team I have ever seen. Between the God-awful defense, the poor 3 pt shooting and the abysmal free throw shooting, I just can't bear to watch it any more.

Name Redacted was a poor college coach. In my view, the main reason for that was a complete inability to motivate his players. He just did not have the personality to inspire 17 year old kids to give their all. I am at a point where I am seriously wondering whether DM has the same inability.

My biggest concern with Manning is our complete lack of ability to play defense. You can put any word in front of "defense" and we do it poorly. Zone Defense, Man-to-Man Defense, Transition Defense, Half Court Defense, Help-side Defense, and so on...At DM's initial press conference, he said something like, "We will hang our hat on the defensive end." Does this look like a team that wants to excel on defense?!? This is not only the worse Wake Forest defensive basketball team I have ever seen in 25 years of following Wake sports, it may be the worst college defensive team I have ever seen. Between the God-awful defense, the poor 3 pt shooting and the abysmal free throw shooting, I just can't bear to watch it any more.

Name Redacted was a poor college coach. In my view, the main reason for that was a complete inability to motivate his players. He just did not have the personality to inspire 17 year old kids to give their all. I am at a point where I am seriously wondering whether DM has the same inability.

As most of you know, I defended bzzzer until the bitter end, well year 3. I kept thinking he'd land the right player or two to make us a top half ACC contender. I was wrong, obviously. I'm never one to jump the ship early and join the "doom and gloom" wagon but it's hard not to after the first 2 seasons of the Danny Manning experiment. Personally, I'm willing to give Danny next season to see what he is capable of with 2 1/2 recruiting classes. If our defensive schemes don't improve, our team IQ, his usage of timeouts and most importantly substitution patters, I highly doubt he will turn this thing around.

When Danny was unable to land Harry, that should've been our first BIG red flag. We have a kid that presumably grew up a wake fan, deemed us his "dream school" and was in our backyard. He attended most all of our home games, has a best friend in the same class playing for us and ends up at Tobacco Road rival.

I'm hoping its chemistry throwing us off. I'm hoping in Danny's mind, knowing he essentially has a 3-4 year grace period, is using these first two seasons as trial and error, as sad as that sounds. My hopes are that next season with our current freshen and the addition of some supposed shooters, that we will turn things around and become the household name in college basketball that we were the 2 decades preceding bzzzz arrived. I, like a lot of Wake fans, would consider myself "Danny wait and see". Let's hope the waiting pays off. As always, GO DEACS

Last edited:
As most of you know, I defended bzzzer until the bitter end, well year 3. I kept thinking he'd land the right player or two to make us a top half ACC contender. I was wrong, obviously. I'm never one to jump the ship early and join the "doom and gloom" wagon but it's hard not to after the first 2 seasons of the Danny Manning experiment. Personally, I'm willing to give Danny next season to see what he is capable of with 2 1/2 recruiting classes. If our defensive schemes don't improve, our team IQ, his usage of timeouts and most importantly substitution patters, I highly doubt he will turn this thing around.

When Danny was unable to land Harry, that should've been our first BIG red flag. We have a kid that presumably grew up a wake fan, deemed us his "dream school" and was in our backyard. He attended most all of our home games, has a best friend in the same class playing for us and ends up at Tobacco Road rival.

I'm hoping its chemistry throwing us off. I'm hoping in Danny's mind, knowing he essentially has a 3-4 year grace period, is using these first two seasons as trial and error, as sad as that sounds. My hopes are that next season with our current freshen and the addition of some supposed shooters, that we will turn things around and become the household name in college basketball that we were the 2 decades preceding bzzzz arrived. I, like a lot of Wake fans, would consider myself "Danny wait and see". Let's hope the waiting pays off. As always, GO DEACS

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

If we are waiting for DM to learn how to coach on the job, we are screwed. DM really put in yeoman's work to lose the game yesterday.

If we are waiting for DM to learn how to coach on the job, we are screwed. DM really put in yeoman's work to lose the game yesterday.

We've waited 7-9 years for a competent coach. What's another couple?

^full fledged apathy has set in

We've waited 7-9 years for a competent coach. What's another couple?

^full fledged apathy has set in

It's "historical competitiveness". Or is it "Bringing Back the Legacy"? Or whatever new shit Wellman trotted out this week to appease the blue-hairs and keep them writing checks.

I caught a little of the Indiana/Michigan State game today, and what stood out to me was how both Izzo and Crean paced the sideline all game long and communicated with their teams on just about every possession, be it calling out instruction, or yelling out encouragement/displeasure. In other words, they were "coaching". Contrast that to Manning, who just sits there like he's just trying to stay awake while watching a boring movie. I'm not saying that Manning needs to act like a maniac on the sidelines, but it is so frustrating to see the team doing stupid thing after stupid thing and Manning acting like he could care less.

I caught a little of the Indiana/Michigan State game today, and what stood out to me was how both Izzo and Crean paced the sideline all game long and communicated with their teams on just about every possession, be it calling out instruction, or yelling out encouragement/displeasure. In other words, they were "coaching". Contrast that to Manning, who just sits there like he's just trying to stay awake while watching a boring movie. I'm not saying that Manning needs to act like a maniac on the sidelines, but it is so frustrating to see the team doing stupid thing after stupid thing and Manning acting like he could care less.

I believe the phrase you're searching for is coaching ability

Until MLA declares that the nonsensical version is now accepted.

Manning's demeanor on the bench and his post game comments remind me of a guy who drives the get away car in a robbery. " who me? I had nothing to do with that robbery, just drove the car"

It's "historical competitiveness". Or is it "Bringing Back the Legacy"? Or whatever new shit Wellman trotted out this week to appease the blue-hairs and keep them writing checks.

This reminds me of the Chewbacca defense

0330chewbacca.jpg

UVA shutting down Cat Barber. Bennett has forgotten more about defense than Manning will ever know.

Back