Page 9 of 490 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959109 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 9786

Thread: Danny Manning Credibility Watch

  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeForestRanger View Post
    No argument. Battle was a good man.

    I just don't believe the difference in a Dino run program and a Battle run program would have been significant.
    We're saying Battle would have been the savior when he was on the staff for all of Skip's time, Dino's time, and Buzz's time? It's impossible.

  2. #162
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    65,749
    Quote Originally Posted by MichDeac25 View Post
    We're saying Battle would have been the savior when he was on the staff for all of Skip's time, Dino's time, and Buzz's time? It's impossible.
    He wouldn't have had to be a savior. He would have only had to have been a solid coach.

  3. #163
    I don't see the difference in slapping the interim tag on Battle over Dino. Wellman had the option to do that for Dino at the time and opted not to (at least formally, Dino's short leash and quick firing kind of suggests otherwise).

    In hindsight, Aminu was the only recruit in that class that was worth being concerned about losing. Of course, no one could have known that at the time.

  4. #164
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    65,749
    Battle turned it down. Wellman offered it to him first.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Battle turned it down. Wellman offered it to him first.
    I know that as well.

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Battle turned it down. Wellman offered it to him first.
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeForestRanger View Post
    I know that as well.






    Football. Bloody Hell.

  7. #167
    Using the interim tag would have had numerous advantages. For one thing it would have alerted everyone that the situation was fluid and that further change was possible although not inevitable. That would have made the interview process less awkward, along with the eventual move to a permanent head coach. Instead you had a tumultuous and controversial change which no one expected...and then a puzzling and apparently ill-researched hire.

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by mebanedeac View Post
    Using the interim tag would have had numerous advantages. For one thing it would have alerted everyone that the situation was fluid and that further change was possible although not inevitable. That would have made the interview process less awkward, along with the eventual move to a permanent head coach. Instead you had a tumultuous and controversial change which no one expected...and then a puzzling and apparently ill-researched hire.
    I'm not saying that they shouldn't have used the interim tag. I believed they should have at the time as well. I just don't see why it would have made a difference for the interim head coach to be Battle over Dino.

  9. #169
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    65,749
    I think the players liked Jeff better and that Dino is more comfortable as an assistant.

  10. #170
    NEW MODERAT0R
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    31,210
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    I think the players liked Jeff better and that Dino is more comfortable as an assistant.
    Thanks for the completely meaningless insight.

  11. #171
    Skip and Dino both parked in handicap spaces while handicap people made handicap faces. Haven't heard any reports yet on where Manning parks.

  12. #172
    Frederic Fuckin' Chopin Why the Deac Not's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sorta Decatur, GA
    Posts
    2,990
    Quote Originally Posted by CheesePritchard View Post
    Skip and Dino both parked in handicap spaces while handicap people made handicap faces. Haven't heard any reports yet on where Manning parks.
    #SCOOOOOP #hottakes

    So we're only good when we neglect the handicap. Cool.

  13. #173

  14. #174
    Frederic Fuckin' Chopin Why the Deac Not's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sorta Decatur, GA
    Posts
    2,990
    Welp, since I'm having fun doing research and trolling folks like the wiseguys who like to troll after 8 lousy games, here's how the numbers "staak" up since 1965-'66, the year since Billy Jones broke the color barrier at Maryland in the ACC:

    20 seasons of 19+ wins (good to great seasons by any measure): combined record of 443 - 184 or an average of 22 - 9 over those 20 seasons; ACC Totals: 186 - 115 for an avg of 9.3 - 5.8

    29 seasons of 17 wins or less (never had a season with 18 W, weird): combined rec of 380 - 448 or an average of 13 - 15.5 over 29 seasons: ACC Totals: 145 - 305 for an avg of 5 - 10.5

    So when we're good, we're pretty good. When we're bad, we are horrendous. Let's hope the 4-5 year stretch of futility we've endured will pay off in another 5-6 year run of success. Fingers crossed.

  15. #175
    Jesus enough with all the fucking Bzz and Dino talk. WTF is wrong with you people, you just love hand wringing? You guys are the same people that go to a whorehouse and pay $300 to have some chick kick you in the nuts with a high heel for an hour.

    College bball is all about talent these days. Actual coaching is probably at an all time low. Do we think fucking Calipari is one of the greatest Xs and Os guys of all time? Fuck no. But his combo of the Jedi mind trick, 5K handshakes and whatever else he has working on the recruiting trail has him at the top every year. Recruiting is like 80% of the game now.

    With that in mind, we have seen that DM can recruit, so we have to wait until he gets his players on the court. I know that this was also an argument morons used with Bzz but the difference is that Bzz never fucking signed anyone worth a shit. We have one (1) consensus Top 100 player on the roster right now, and he is pretty flawed. You need a stable of top 100 guys to finish in the top third of the ACC. We will have more top 100 players on the roster next year than we have had in the entire Bzz era. There is no way those guys arent going to be markedly better than the corndoggs running around this year.

    So lets stop kicking each other in the nuts and calm down. And for fuck's sake stop talking about Battle and fucking Dino.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTwinAndreBen View Post
    Jesus enough with all the fucking Bzz and Dino talk. WTF is wrong with you people, you just love hand wringing? You guys are the same people that go to a whorehouse and pay $300 to have some chick kick you in the nuts with a high heel for an hour.

    College bball is all about talent these days. Actual coaching is probably at an all time low. Do we think fucking Calipari is one of the greatest Xs and Os guys of all time? Fuck no. But his combo of the Jedi mind trick, 5K handshakes and whatever else he has working on the recruiting trail has him at the top every year. Recruiting is like 80% of the game now.

    With that in mind, we have seen that DM can recruit, so we have to wait until he gets his players on the court. I know that this was also an argument morons used with Bzz but the difference is that Bzz never fucking signed anyone worth a shit. We have one (1) consensus Top 100 player on the roster right now, and he is pretty flawed. You need a stable of top 100 guys to finish in the top third of the ACC. We will have more top 100 players on the roster next year than we have had in the entire Bzz era. There is no way those guys arent going to be markedly better than the corndoggs running around this year.

    So lets stop kicking each other in the nuts and calm down. And for fuck's sake stop talking about Battle and fucking Dino.
    this times a billion. It's all about recruiting. We get the players, we get better. A Giles-level recruit accelerates the process. Heck, look back 25 (gulp) years ago now- the event that kickstarted the Odom era was the 1990 class of Rogers, Childress, Owens, Blucas. 2 legends and 2 solid ACC contributors in one class. Same with the Johnson, Teague, Ish, Aminu era. You just have to get the players, period.

  17. #177
    Ricky Peral wvudeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    841
    didn't know where to put this, so...

    Manning listed by Bilas and Goodman in an article about "which young coaches will be viewed within the pantheon of greats in the coming decades."

    Bilas: "...And, here are a few really young or overlooked guys to think about: Wake Forest's Danny Manning is a star, Marquette's Steve Wojciechowski is a star, and Minnesota's Richard Pitino is a star. All are at places that need a rebuild, but all are really smart, sharp and have the ability to be big-timers."

    Goodman: It's difficult to argue with you on any of the guys you mentioned, and I agree that The Mayor, Hoiberg, could be scooped up sooner rather than later by the NBA. I like the picks of guys like Manning, Wojo and Little Richard (Richard Pitino) -- and I'll add a few more to that list with 51-year-old Tad Boyle (Colorado), 40-year-old Chris Collins (Northwestern), 37-year-old Michael White (Louisiana Tech) and 36-year-old Archie Miller (Dayton).

    http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...ege-basketball

    If nothing else, good publicity.

  18. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by wvudeac View Post
    Bilas: "...And, here are a few really young or overlooked guys to think about: Wake Forest's Danny Manning is a star, Marquette's Steve Wojciechowski is a star, and Minnesota's Richard Pitino is a star. All are at places that need a rebuild, but all are really smart, sharp and have the ability to be big-timers."
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...ege-basketball
    I hope he's right. That said, he's not exactly a reliable judge of coaching talent.

    "Jeff [name redacted] is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Jeff [name redacted]."
    - Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst
    There's literally nothing true about what Bilas said save for maybe "quiet and soft spoken", which was really just because he was anti-social.
    Last edited by RacerDeac; 12-04-2014 at 02:27 PM.

  19. #179
    Scott "Rufio" Feather morrison2951's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    F-V, NC
    Posts
    5,817
    "Jeff [name redacted] is not one of the top coaches in the country, and not one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also not an intense competitor that does not understand the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has not always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has notalways been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has not seen it all in this game, has not handled everything with class, and has notbeen successful at every stop. Wake Forest did not get a good one in Jeff [name redacted]."
    - Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

    Truth finally be told!

  20. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerDeac View Post
    I hope he's right. That said, he's not exactly a reliable judge of coaching talent.



    There's literally nothing true about what Bilas said save for maybe "quiet and soft spoken", which was really just because he was anti-social.

    And that he could cuss out a fan a time or two
    #GoDeacs #GoPanthers

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •