• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

RaleighTriad

Reaction score
Well...

The Deacs are at 4-4 with the 4 losses being the following:

- 30 point beat down at Arkansas.
- DM pulling his best Chris Webber imitation to lose at home to Iona.
- The loss to Delaware State might be the worst loss in school history.... Yes, worse than Stetson.
- Down 1 pt to Minnesota at the half turns into 12 pts down in the first 3 minutes of the second with 3 time-outs burned.

We are 8 games in to the season and already there have been 4 fiascoes. I want to give DM the benefit of the doubt but after tonight I am putting his credibility on watch.

The fact that he doesn't discipline DT effectively is a red flag so far. Not going to blame him for Devin's terrible attitude, personality and play, but at least bench the kid when he's being an idiot.

DT didn't play for the last 8:12 for his tech. Is that not a form of discipline?

The fact that he doesn't discipline DT effectively is a red flag so far. Not going to blame him for Devin's terrible attitude, personality and play, but at least bench the kid when he's being an idiot.

I'm pretty sure Coach Manning disciplined DT tonight after he picked-up another technical. Wasn't DT benched for the remainder of the game? What constitutes "effective" discipline? Is there more effective discipline than a reduction in PT?

ETA: This whole thread is a joke and should be deleted.

I thought we went into the half with a fair chance of possibly winning even with the DT bad attitude. Two quick 3's that were not contested and a few timeouts later, it is a different game Facepalm

Guys, Minnesota was clearly the better team even in the first half tonight. We saw nothing tonight that we didn't already know. That we were within one point was a slight miracle.

A couple observations as I watched most of a Wake game tonight for the first time in since maybe Buzzdick's first year, but probably more like Dino's last year...

I am heartened that DM appears to have picked up serviceable players on short notice that are getting serious minutes their freshmen years. I see promise in the 3 freshman, even if the Greek Deac is a 7 footer with a vertical of about one inch. After Devin, they appear to be about all we have apart from the occasional flash from CMM. I feel somewhat optimistic that we may look like a decent team about midway through next season, but this season is obviously not going to tell us much apart from how the young guys develop. We will get some conference wins on account of the ACC sucking balls, but not many. Certainly more than 1 win.

Everybody keeps talking about manning picking up serviceable "playas" who are starting but how much of that is a self fulfilling prophecy?

Shocking that Meh-nning favors his own!!

I wouldn't waste too much time sucking manning's dick over that.

MEH

Guys, Minnesota was clearly the better team even in the first half tonight. We saw nothing tonight that we didn't already know. That we were within one point was a slight miracle.

A couple observations as I watched most of a Wake game tonight for the first time in since maybe Buzzdick's first year, but probably more like Dino's last year...

I am heartened that DM appears to have picked up serviceable players on short notice that are getting serious minutes their freshmen years. I see promise in the 3 freshman, even if the Greek Deac is a 7 footer with a vertical of about one inch. After Devin, they appear to be about all we have apart from the occasional flash from CMM. I feel somewhat optimistic that we may look like a decent team about midway through next season, but this season is obviously not going to tell us much apart from how the young guys develop. We will get some conference wins on account of the ACC sucking balls, but not many. Certainly more than 1 win.

I think we can win Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech at home. A toss-up with Clemson and FSU on the road. This Saturday could get ugly though.

Everybody keeps talking about manning picking up serviceable "playas" who are starting but how much of that is a self fulfilling prophecy?

MEH

It's pretty clear that they're better than what he has to work with.

MEH

I mean Madison, Miles, and Rountree combined for 70 minutes tonight. Those 3 and McClinton are all playing significant minutes. Hard to argue that those 4 are any better than the 4 Manning brought in.

I mean Madison, Miles, and Rountree combined for 70 minutes tonight. Those 3 and McClinton are all playing significant minutes. Hard to argue that those 4 are any better than the 4 Manning brought in.

Manning is terrible.

You guys realize that buzz's first 8 games weren't this bad?

BRING. BACK. BUZZ.

Last edited:
That doesn't refute my argument

All we see is what's on the court

Per 40 minute numbers:

Manning additions:

Mitoglou: 18 pts, 12.3 rebounds, 3 blocks, 38% shooting
Leonard: 16.6 pts, 8.6 rebounds, 49% shooting
Hudson: 13.9 pts, 8.5 rebounds, 2 stls, 37.8% shooting
Wilbekin: 12.8 pts, 3 stls, 44% 3P shooting, 1.82 A/TO

4 best returning options (non CMM, Devin division)

Madison: 13.2 pts, 1.6 stls, 56% shooting, .86 A/TO
Miles: 11.4 pts, 5 rebounds, 9 TO's, 28.6% shooting
Aaron: 11.3 pts, 7.8 rebounds, 53% shooting
McClinton: 8.4 pts, 8.4 rebounds, 40% shooting

Manning is terrible.

You guys realize that buzz's first 8 games weren't this bad?

BRING. BACK. BUZZ.

Through 8 games:

2010-2011: 5-3, +2.75, Average Opponent Ranking: 210.6

2014-15: 4-4, +6, Average Opponent Ranking: 188.6

If you factor in two road games (vs. one neutral in 2010) and the difference in schedule, Manning's first team has been about 4.5 points better over 8 games than the 2010 team was over its first 8 games.

For reference, 4.5 points per game is roughly the difference between this year's Wake team (122 Kenpom after tonight) and Winthrop (179).

Or better yet the difference between our 2009 team and our 2010 team.

Let me know when we drop below 200 in kenpom or only win 3 of our next 24 games.

Just to clarify the talent gap:

average ESPN positional ranking of scholarship players available in 2010-11: 17.3

average ESPN positional ranking of scholarship players available in 2014-15: 45.36*

*Three of our freshman were not ranked at their position (or at all) so I assigned them the positional rank of Wilbekin (#63).

Per 40 minute numbers:

Manning additions:

Mitoglou: 18 pts, 12.3 rebounds, 3 blocks, 38% shooting
Leonard: 16.6 pts, 8.6 rebounds, 49% shooting
Hudson: 13.9 pts, 8.5 rebounds, 2 stls, 37.8% shooting
Wilbekin: 12.8 pts, 3 stls, 44% 3P shooting, 1.82 A/TO

4 best returning options (non CMM, Devin division)

Madison: 13.2 pts, 1.6 stls, 56% shooting, .86 A/TO
Miles: 11.4 pts, 5 rebounds, 9 TO's, 28.6% shooting
Aaron: 11.3 pts, 7.8 rebounds, 53% shooting
McClinton: 8.4 pts, 8.4 rebounds, 40% shooting

Translation

Bring back buzz

Back