• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Delaware State. That was a classic.

In my opinion, this is the difference between Wake under [Redacted]/Manning and Wake prior to that (under Gaudio, Prosser, and Odom). It was extremely rare for Wake to lose to bad mid-major programs prior to [Redacted]. I remember road losses to Marshall and Davidson, but there weren't many others and they only occurred every few years. That changed under [Redacted], when we started losing often, and at home, to teams like Stetson, Presbyterian, Delaware State, etc.

In my opinion, the reason this occurred is because our defense, especially at the beginning of games, was not nearly as intense under [Redacted]/Manning. Under Odom, Prosser, and Gaudio we would start games against inferior opponents with very intense defense and it would set the tone for the game. It let inferior teams know they weren't going to win, and it often got us a cushion to work with. Now, that intensity rarely lasted throughout the game, but the key is that it was present at the start so it set the tone. We have lost that, and we have lost our mental edge over teams with inferior talent.

In my opinion, this is the difference between Wake under [Redacted]/Manning and Wake prior to that (under Gaudio, Prosser, and Odom). It was extremely rare for Wake to lose to bad mid-major programs prior to [Redacted]. I remember road losses to Marshall and Davidson, but there weren't many others and they only occurred every few years. That changed under [Redacted], when we started losing often, and at home, to teams like Stetson, Presbyterian, Delaware State, etc.

In my opinion, the reason this occurred is because our defense, especially at the beginning of games, was not nearly as intense under [Redacted]/Manning. Under Odom, Prosser, and Gaudio we would start games against inferior opponents with very intense defense and it would set the tone for the game. It let inferior teams know they weren't going to win, and it often got us a cushion to work with. Now, that intensity rarely lasted throughout the game, but the key is that it was present at the start so it set the tone. We have lost that, and we have lost our mental edge over teams with inferior talent.

Manning added Georgia Southern (home), Liberty (home) and Drake to the list in one season and he remains as the head coach with a freshly signed extension.

Manning added Georgia Southern (home), Liberty (home) and Drake to the list in one season and he remains as the head coach with a freshly signed extension.

Yeah, but he got us to the tournament that one time...and it was one season EARLIER than the sunshine squad thought it would be, which means a lot, or something.

Yep. The problem stated with [Redacted] but has continued under Manning.

The extension is in place for recruiting optics. From a termination standpoint it is meaningless and not something to get hung up over.

Yep. The problem stated with [Redacted] but has continued under Manning.

The extension is in place for recruiting optics. From a termination standpoint it is meaningless and not something to get hung up over.

I hope you're right.

Now we are good and fucked. We'll be lucky to win another game.

This ^^^ is in response to Marquee Moon getting on board the Manning train after the Louisville win in 2017. I believe we should all come together and blame Moonz for our struggles.

Yeah, but he got us to the tournament that one time...and it was one season EARLIER than the sunshine squad thought it would be, which means a lot, or something.

Well that and a terrible Conference record and not a good record against better non-conference teams. We have lost with great regularity under our past two coaches.

Delaware State. That was a classic.
I remember they had a big who had like 9 blocks in that game. Just stuffed everything Devin threw up.

That game was almost Stetson-level bad.

Basically agree. I think it also has to do with not playing the size that we have. Typically mid majors just cannot match up with the size and athleticism of high major teams. Unfortunately our coach seems to dislike tall guys in numbers greater than 1.

I still think Melo should have played a lot more but it is hard to be sure since he was mostly just a pine warrior.

I remember they had a big who had like 9 blocks in that game. Just stuffed everything Devin threw up.

That game was almost Stetson-level bad.

What about that guard they had that dropped like 30?

Basically agree. I think it also has to do with not playing the size that we have. Typically mid majors just cannot match up with the size and athleticism of high major teams. Unfortunately our coach seems to dislike tall guys in numbers greater than 1.

I still think Melo should have played a lot more but it is hard to be sure since he was mostly just a pine warrior.

Manning definitely let’s the opponent dictate who he has on the floor. Except for Terrence Thompson. He would play him no matter what.

What about that guard they had that dropped like 30?
For some reason I more so remember the big dominating than that guard. Guess maybe it's because guards dropping 30 on us is a pretty regular occurrence.

For some reason I more so remember the big dominating than that guard. Guess maybe it's because guards dropping 30 on us is a pretty regular occurrence.

It is tough to keep track of the details from all the awful losses that have accrued under ronnie's watch the last 8 years.

It is amazing to me that everyone can see the train wreck that is coming this next season. We will be historically bad. Maybe worse than Staak/Bz and our administration took zero action. The coach is clearly incompetent and the administration from Wellman through Hatch is either incompetent or they just don’t give a damn. Not sure which is worse.

It is amazing to me that everyone can see the train wreck that is coming this next season. We will be historically bad. Maybe worse than Staak/Bz and our administration took zero action. The coach is clearly incompetent and the administration from Wellman through Hatch is either incompetent or they just don’t give a damn. Not sure which is worse.

What’s your over under on The historically bad season ? Curious to see how bad you think it will be.

It's called "apathy". I don't think anyone really gives a damn any longer except for the few guys who want their names on buildings.

I'm curious what the sales pitch for the AD will be this year. Do they even bother to mention our flagship sport or do they fall back on football and the rich kid sports?

Back