• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Manning is terrible.

You guys realize that buzz's first 8 games weren't this bad?

BRING. BACK. BUZZ.

I do NOT want Buzz back and the losses to Iona and Delaware State are clearly on Manning. However, Wellman's "search committee of one" approach has harmed the school's reputation so bad that if Manning doesn't do well, no coach with any credibility will consider coaching Wake for the foreseeable future. We need Manning to do well so he doesn't get fired, but Wellman has placed us in a bad situation. I am surprised nobody has taken a swing at Wellman yet.

I don't think wellman was a committee of one this time

No one wanted to come here

IMO, dv7 has the sharpest sports mind on these boards

And I agree with him

After buzz you don't hire manning

Unless you are pressured to

Last edited:
I don't think wellman was a committee of one this time

No one wanted to come here

IMO, dv7 has the sharpest sports mind on these boards

And I agree with him

After buzz you don't hire manning

Unless you are pressured to

Do we take a shot at Bruce Weber to get program stability? I agree that Manning was a pressure hire because the media and our fans were calling for him.

Do we take a shot at Bruce Weber to get program stability? I agree that Manning was a pressure hire because the media and our fans were calling for him.

It's hard to believe anyone understands less about basketball than Ruskin, but compared Triad he's a Red Holtzman, Al McGuire hybrid.

It's hard to believe anyone understands less about basketball than Ruskin, but compared Triad he's a Red Holtzman, Al McGuire hybrid.

I've probably watched 200 wake basketball games since I've graduated

I think I know a little

Please tell me how you expect a team that was mediocre last year against a horrible schedule and a weak ACC and lost- over 50% of our scoring, 79% of a weak 3 point shooting effort and 45% of our rebounding to be competitive?

Last night was the 1st game I've seen this season. What I liked is that Wilbekin, Leonard, Mitiglou and Hudson are all at least serviceable. Combine that with next year's class, and we're going to have the talent to compete. And offensively, I thought we looked fine given our talent level. But Jesus we're still awful on D. Are we too stupid to pick up the style of man Danny is trying to teach?

Manning wasn't a pressure hire. He was about the best we could get from what Wellman was willing to take.

Pickings were also slim when we hired [Redacted]. Good coaches didn't want to come here after we fired Dino.

Ruskin graduated at least 20 years ago. 200 games is nothing.

Check out the coaches hired after Manning. We did fine. If he fails, the next AD can make the hire.

I know multiple people who have easily attended 200 away games in the last 20 years.

Manning wasn't a pressure hire. He was about the best we could get from what Wellman was willing to take.

Pickings were also slim when we hired [name redacted]. Good coaches didn't want to come here after we fired Dino.

FWIW... If RW hadn't have retained Jeff [Redacted] after year 2, I'm fairly certain that Shaka would be in Winston-Salem.

Well...

The Deacs are at 4-4 with the 4 losses being the following:

- 30 point beat down at Arkansas.
- DM pulling his best Chris Webber imitation to lose at home to Iona.
- The loss to Delaware State might be the worst loss in school history.... Yes, worse than Stetson.
- Down 1 pt to Minnesota at the half turns into 12 pts down in the first 3 minutes of the second with 3 time-outs burned.

We are 8 games in to the season and already there have been 4 fiascoes. I want to give DM the benefit of the doubt but after tonight I am putting his credibility on watch.

No way was it worse than Stetson, Stetson was horrid that year and fired their coach mid-season. Also, Division II Alaska-Anchorage says hello as well.

FWIW... If RW hadn't have retained Jeff [Redacted] after year 2, I'm fairly certain that Shaka would be in Winston-Salem.

Maybe you have some inside knowledge, but I find it hard to believe that after firing Dino and getting rid of [Redacted] after year 2, we'd have pulled in any well-named coach.

Pickings were also slim when we hired [name redacted]. Good coaches didn't want to come here after we fired Dino.

A lot of this.

Wellman struck out with other options and settled for Manning -- which was another mistake in a litany of Wellman mistakes.

-Firing Dino before the 2010/11 season was idiotic.
-Hiring He Who Shall Not Be Named was shambolic.
-Keeping He Who Shall Not Be Named after year 1 was catastrophic. (And don't tell me that we had to keep him otherwise no coach would have come here after firing 2 coaches in 2 years because nobody wanted to come here after that awful coach got 4 years. We could have easily plucked Manning from Kansas' bench in April 2011. And it isn't like his two years on Tulsa's bench really amounts the requisite experience to coach in the ACC anyway.)
-Keeping REDACTED after years 2 and 3 was program suicide, as it was clear REDACTED couldn't get it done on the recruiting trail and was setting the program back years at an exponential rate each season REDACTED came back.
-Hiring the inexperienced Manning for the obvious rebuilding job was simply a Hail Mary by Wellman. He is hoping that he catches lightning in a bottle, and so far, he hasn't even caught a single damn solitary lightning bug.

Manning may turn out to be a great coach in time, but he is a very inexperienced coach to hand over such a rebuilding job. Such a massive task ahead for the program and we are being led by a guy that is still new to coaching.

Wellman has fucked us right in the collective ass.

Maybe you have some inside knowledge, but I find it hard to believe that after firing Dino and getting rid of [name redacted] after year 2, we'd have pulled in any well-named coach.

Such a horrible argument considering who we ended up with after giving REDACTED 4 years.

Coaches are arrogant and think, "I can turn that situation around, that other guy isn't as good as I am." They don't think, "oh man, I better not take a shot at a power conference school in a hotbed of basketball recruiting because the previous guy went 21-46 (5-27 in conference) and got fired. That could happen to me!"

If you go 21-46 while not on sanctions of any sort, your ass deserves to be fired. That is atrocious.

Back