• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

We're saying Battle would have been the savior when he was on the staff for all of Skip's time, Dino's time, and Buzz's time? It's impossible.

He wouldn't have had to be a savior. He would have only had to have been a solid coach.

I don't see the difference in slapping the interim tag on Battle over Dino. Wellman had the option to do that for Dino at the time and opted not to (at least formally, Dino's short leash and quick firing kind of suggests otherwise).

In hindsight, Aminu was the only recruit in that class that was worth being concerned about losing. Of course, no one could have known that at the time.

Battle turned it down. Wellman offered it to him first.

Battle turned it down. Wellman offered it to him first.

I know that as well.

geico-old-macdonald-600-21384.jpg

geico-auctioneer-large-3.jpg

18533-Geico-v.jpg

18686-Geico-m.jpg

Using the interim tag would have had numerous advantages. For one thing it would have alerted everyone that the situation was fluid and that further change was possible although not inevitable. That would have made the interview process less awkward, along with the eventual move to a permanent head coach. Instead you had a tumultuous and controversial change which no one expected...and then a puzzling and apparently ill-researched hire.

Using the interim tag would have had numerous advantages. For one thing it would have alerted everyone that the situation was fluid and that further change was possible although not inevitable. That would have made the interview process less awkward, along with the eventual move to a permanent head coach. Instead you had a tumultuous and controversial change which no one expected...and then a puzzling and apparently ill-researched hire.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have used the interim tag. I believed they should have at the time as well. I just don't see why it would have made a difference for the interim head coach to be Battle over Dino.

I think the players liked Jeff better and that Dino is more comfortable as an assistant.

Skip and Dino both parked in handicap spaces while handicap people made handicap faces. Haven't heard any reports yet on where Manning parks.

Welp, since I'm having fun doing research and trolling folks like the wiseguys who like to troll after 8 lousy games, here's how the numbers "staak" up since 1965-'66, the year since Billy Jones broke the color barrier at Maryland in the ACC:

20 seasons of 19+ wins (good to great seasons by any measure): combined record of 443 - 184 or an average of 22 - 9 over those 20 seasons; ACC Totals: 186 - 115 for an avg of 9.3 - 5.8

29 seasons of 17 wins or less (never had a season with 18 W, weird): combined rec of 380 - 448 or an average of 13 - 15.5 over 29 seasons: ACC Totals: 145 - 305 for an avg of 5 - 10.5

So when we're good, we're pretty good. When we're bad, we are horrendous. Let's hope the 4-5 year stretch of futility we've endured will pay off in another 5-6 year run of success. Fingers crossed.

Jesus enough with all the fucking Bzz and Dino talk. WTF is wrong with you people, you just love hand wringing? You guys are the same people that go to a whorehouse and pay $300 to have some chick kick you in the nuts with a high heel for an hour.

College bball is all about talent these days. Actual coaching is probably at an all time low. Do we think fucking Calipari is one of the greatest Xs and Os guys of all time? Fuck no. But his combo of the Jedi mind trick, 5K handshakes and whatever else he has working on the recruiting trail has him at the top every year. Recruiting is like 80% of the game now.

With that in mind, we have seen that DM can recruit, so we have to wait until he gets his players on the court. I know that this was also an argument morons used with Bzz but the difference is that Bzz never fucking signed anyone worth a shit. We have one (1) consensus Top 100 player on the roster right now, and he is pretty flawed. You need a stable of top 100 guys to finish in the top third of the ACC. We will have more top 100 players on the roster next year than we have had in the entire Bzz era. There is no way those guys arent going to be markedly better than the corndoggs running around this year.

So lets stop kicking each other in the nuts and calm down. And for fuck's sake stop talking about Battle and fucking Dino.

Jesus enough with all the fucking Bzz and Dino talk. WTF is wrong with you people, you just love hand wringing? You guys are the same people that go to a whorehouse and pay $300 to have some chick kick you in the nuts with a high heel for an hour.

College bball is all about talent these days. Actual coaching is probably at an all time low. Do we think fucking Calipari is one of the greatest Xs and Os guys of all time? Fuck no. But his combo of the Jedi mind trick, 5K handshakes and whatever else he has working on the recruiting trail has him at the top every year. Recruiting is like 80% of the game now.

With that in mind, we have seen that DM can recruit, so we have to wait until he gets his players on the court. I know that this was also an argument morons used with Bzz but the difference is that Bzz never fucking signed anyone worth a shit. We have one (1) consensus Top 100 player on the roster right now, and he is pretty flawed. You need a stable of top 100 guys to finish in the top third of the ACC. We will have more top 100 players on the roster next year than we have had in the entire Bzz era. There is no way those guys arent going to be markedly better than the corndoggs running around this year.

So lets stop kicking each other in the nuts and calm down. And for fuck's sake stop talking about Battle and fucking Dino.

this times a billion. It's all about recruiting. We get the players, we get better. A Giles-level recruit accelerates the process. Heck, look back 25 (gulp) years ago now- the event that kickstarted the Odom era was the 1990 class of Rogers, Childress, Owens, Blucas. 2 legends and 2 solid ACC contributors in one class. Same with the Johnson, Teague, Ish, Aminu era. You just have to get the players, period.

didn't know where to put this, so...

Manning listed by Bilas and Goodman in an article about "which young coaches will be viewed within the pantheon of greats in the coming decades."

Bilas: "...And, here are a few really young or overlooked guys to think about: Wake Forest's Danny Manning is a star, Marquette's Steve Wojciechowski is a star, and Minnesota's Richard Pitino is a star. All are at places that need a rebuild, but all are really smart, sharp and have the ability to be big-timers."

Goodman: It's difficult to argue with you on any of the guys you mentioned, and I agree that The Mayor, Hoiberg, could be scooped up sooner rather than later by the NBA. I like the picks of guys like Manning, Wojo and Little Richard (Richard Pitino) -- and I'll add a few more to that list with 51-year-old Tad Boyle (Colorado), 40-year-old Chris Collins (Northwestern), 37-year-old Michael White (Louisiana Tech) and 36-year-old Archie Miller (Dayton).

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11973598/next-generation-top-coaches-college-basketball

If nothing else, good publicity.

Bilas: "...And, here are a few really young or overlooked guys to think about: Wake Forest's Danny Manning is a star, Marquette's Steve Wojciechowski is a star, and Minnesota's Richard Pitino is a star. All are at places that need a rebuild, but all are really smart, sharp and have the ability to be big-timers."
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...ext-generation-top-coaches-college-basketball

I hope he's right. That said, he's not exactly a reliable judge of coaching talent.

"Jeff [name redacted] is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Jeff [name redacted]."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

There's literally nothing true about what Bilas said save for maybe "quiet and soft spoken", which was really just because he was anti-social.

Last edited:
"Jeff [name redacted] is not one of the top coaches in the country, and not one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also not an intense competitor that does not understand the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has not always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has notalways been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has not seen it all in this game, has not handled everything with class, and has notbeen successful at every stop. Wake Forest did not get a good one in Jeff [name redacted]."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

Truth finally be told!:thumbsup:

I hope he's right. That said, he's not exactly a reliable judge of coaching talent.

There's literally nothing true about what Bilas said save for maybe "quiet and soft spoken", which was really just because he was anti-social.

And that he could cuss out a fan a time or two

Back