• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

One fluke win and all of a sudden we're throwing down a .500 record in ACC play?

Manning was carried to a .500 record by John Collins and otherwise is is 12-46 in conference games. But yeah, tell me how he's getting this team to .500 this season.

V9y3EcE.gif

I first put this together when Collins was here and I was hoping that we were returning to the days of good offense and poor defense (and hoping that with a little defensive improvement maybe we could become a solid consistent team again). Over the past couple years I've realized all it shows is how incredible John Collins was and how much he masked some other very serious issues.

YsUf4Y4.png

it's quite remarkable. barring a scenario beyond belief like beating UNC/FSU at home or actually winning a conference road game, manning is about to post his third 20 loss season out of five at the helm.

year 1 = 19 losses
year 2 = 20 losses
year 3 = (the breakout year) 14 losses
year 4 = 20 losses
year 5 = 9 losses with 14 games remaining (including acc tournament) and there are six road games left

i would say that i am relieved because this disaster should end soon. this has to be the last year for manning at wake. there is no way any AD in america would keep a coach with that record right? right??!!!
:eek:

Yep. And that’s why Manning is probably the worst coach in ACC history. Five seasons. Four seasons with 19 or more losses.

it's quite remarkable. barring a scenario beyond belief like beating UNC/FSU at home or actually winning a conference road game, manning is about to post his third 20 loss season out of five at the helm.

year 1 = 19 losses
year 2 = 20 losses
year 3 = (the breakout year) 14 losses
year 4 = 20 losses
year 5 = 9 losses with 14 games remaining (including acc tournament) and there are six road games left

i would say that i am relieved because this disaster should end soon. this has to be the last year for manning at wake. there is no way any AD in america would keep a coach with that record right? right??!!!
:eek:

Remember the argument that we were "ahead of schedule" in Y3? Facepalm

Last edited:
Remember the argument that we were "ahead of schedule" in Y3? Facepalm

There was only one guy drinking that cool-aid. I am hoping he was just trying to stir the pot but he could be a bit off upstairs.

because i have no life and am home alone on a sunday, i just spent a couple hours trying to illustrate the past five seasons in chart form (something along the lines of rspdeac)
it's worthless and complete gibberish but it was seemingly accurate based on when i lost all hope in wake/manning.

i used kenpom to rate all 144 of manning's games giving +/- percentage points based on wake's rating, opponent ratings, margin of victory, home/away, and of course win/loss. i then created a danny manning stock IPO and from game one adjusted manning's stock price based on my formula.
manning and wake peaked after a 77-74 home win over NCSU on 1/10/16. wake "stock" never traded higher. 2017 did not produce a higher manning price. in fact the stock meandered (wake won in spite of manning thanks to john collins). because their kenpom rating was higher wake needed to win more games of substance. they had to beat their earnings forecast yet still posted 14 losses. look at the results. while they avoided losing to the Delaware States of the world, they were 0-9 against teams with a higher kenpom rating. you don't get upgraded for meeting expectations. you have to beat earnings.
guess when the "bear market" started (implying lower highs and lower lows)? while the stock did drop out the gate with losses like the aforementioned delaware state it endured a nice run up with wins over Indiana and UCLA while culminating with the state win at home.
the 13 point home loss to Liberty on 11/14/17 was the nail in the coffin for enron, i mean wake. while not worse than the delaware state or the houston baptist loss, this one sandwiched between drake and georgia southern sent the stock off the exchange and onto the pink sheets. you'll be happy to know the stock is slightly off the lows after beating state last week.

yes i am a loser. yes there is no reason to have done this. yes it was not needed to know manning sucks. but i was/am bored.

Now 4-35 in ACC road games.
Too lazy to look it up. What was Bz's record again? This has to be approaching [name redacted]-ian bad. Were all 4 of those wins with John Collins, too? Once again, too lazy to look it up.

ETA: Never mind, remember we beat the Pitt team that went 0-18 last year.

redacted 17-51 conference record (.250 percentage)
dammy manning 21-56 conference record (.272 percentage)

i reiterate, john collins is the sole reason manning isn't worse.

Stallings belongs in this conversation. But Pitt was smart enough to move on after 2 years.

4-32 in the ACC (.111)

another comparison
For all of the putrid wins Manning lucked out, the opponent's average kenpom ranking is 157
on the contrary
of the meager wins redacted had, the average kenpom opponent ranking was 185

of numerous losses
manning average rank is 53
redacted was 73

so redacted appears worse sans john collins

Stallings belongs in this conversation. But Pitt was smart enough to move on after 2 years.

4-32 in the ACC (.111)

How were they ever able to hire another coach again after firing their coach two years in?

Oh. Huh.

redacted 17-51 conference record (.250 percentage)
dammy manning 21-56 conference record (.272 percentage)

i reiterate, john collins is the sole reason manning isn't worse.

Sad that Collins will forever be an asterisk for the wrong reasons. None of which were his doing. :(

because i have no life and am home alone on a sunday, i just spent a couple hours trying to illustrate the past five seasons in chart form (something along the lines of rspdeac)
it's worthless and complete gibberish but it was seemingly accurate based on when i lost all hope in wake/manning.

i used kenpom to rate all 144 of manning's games giving +/- percentage points based on wake's rating, opponent ratings, margin of victory, home/away, and of course win/loss. i then created a danny manning stock IPO and from game one adjusted manning's stock price based on my formula.
manning and wake peaked after a 77-74 home win over NCSU on 1/10/16. wake "stock" never traded higher. 2017 did not produce a higher manning price. in fact the stock meandered (wake won in spite of manning thanks to john collins). because their kenpom rating was higher wake needed to win more games of substance. they had to beat their earnings forecast yet still posted 14 losses. look at the results. while they avoided losing to the Delaware States of the world, they were 0-9 against teams with a higher kenpom rating. you don't get upgraded for meeting expectations. you have to beat earnings..

Interesting. Can you post it in graphic form?

In 2017, when we beat Louisville, they had to be ranked ahead of us, no?

Interesting. Can you post it in graphic form?

In 2017, when we beat Louisville, they had to be ranked ahead of us, no?

you are correct. 1-9. sorry about that.
i'll try to post the graph in a bit

Back