• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Cracks me up that people think Manning is responsible for Delaware State or Bz was responsible for Stetson. Disasters like that are left by the coaches that came before. It's where you are 2 years later that matters.

i agree somewhat. however, after how terrible [Redacted]'s proven to be his entire college coaching career there is no way he is completely exonerated for stetson. those college kids may not have had impressive careers (understatement) but there is no doubt that whatever talent was there could have been better harnessed by a different coach.

If you would actually take the time to recall some of our "bubble" years under Odom instead of simply being a snarky dick, we were left out of the tourney despite being 4th in the ACC at least twice. Being on the "right side of the bubble" does not mean you'll get in. You can be a Top 50 team with a pretty respectable record and still miss the tourney. 2 or 3 out of every 5 years would be pretty good for a lot of teams. And considering we are a lot closer to 150th as opposed to 50th at the present time, I'd say that would be more than acceptable by Manning's 3rd year.

A 20 year stretch of success obviously isn't a predictor of future results. Success in CBB is more than a math problem. But over the last 50 years, we've been bad to mediocre more than we've been very good.
You're really dumb

i agree somewhat. however, after how terrible [Redacted]'s proven to be his entire college coaching career there is no way he is completely exonerated for stetson. those college kids may not have had impressive careers (understatement) but there is no doubt that whatever talent was there could have been better harnessed by a different coach.

Meh. Lots of other coaches took that talent when it left and did nothing with it. They were just bad players. Bz and Manning both inherited dumpster fires - the difference is Manning actually looks like he realizes that and has a sense of urgency around fixing it. Didn't take long for him to switch in 3 of his guys to starting positions, and he's recruiting his ass off. It's basically the exact opposite of the "let's just hire Bz and give up" approach.

Neither Clawson nor Manning seem to be in denial about where our programs are or what they need to do to get them right again. They both seem focused and driven, like the early Skip and Grobe days. I get that the early freakouts are mostly trolls but it's obnoxious and undeserved either way. Credibility watch 3 weeks into the season? Ridiculous.

Skip died and Jeff Battle could not be persuaded to replace him.

Just my opinion.

I agree that Skip's death started the downfall of the program. Everything that took us to that #1 ranking was already in the pipeline the day Skip died. But after that point there was nothing to maintain it.

I have my doubts that Battle would have faired any better than Dino did though.

I agree that Skip's death started the downfall of the program. Everything that took us to that #1 ranking was already in the pipeline the day Skip died. But after that point there was nothing to maintain it.

I have my doubts that Battle would have faired any better than Dino did though.

I think Jeff had more of the personality and drive to be a HC than Dino. There are guys who have had very solid careers as second bananas. I think Dino is one of those.

I think Jeff had more of the personality and drive to be a HC than Dino. There are guys who have had very solid careers as second bananas. I think Dino is one of those.

Battle staying here as long on he did as an assistant shows if nothing else that he did not have the "the drive to be a head coach". Personality wise maybe he lasts a couple of more years as our head coach than Dino did, but the staff would have been largely the same with Battle as Head Coach and the same decisions on players that turned out to be huge busts would likely have been made.

He stayed because of the death of his wife and then for his son's last year of HS. He had a very sad and unusual situation.

Just to pile on the "credibility watch" thing. Calling out Manning at this point in the rebuilding process is beyond ridiculous. I think we can all agree that Bz was a disaster. It will take recruiting to fix this and several classes at that unless Manning manages to hit an unprecedented home run in 2016.

He stayed because of the death of his wife and then for his son's last year of HS. He had a very sad and unusual situation.

I know why Battle stayed. But those are not the decisions that a coach with the "drive to be a head coach" makes.

I know why Battle stayed. But those are not the decisions that a coach with the "drive to be a head coach" makes.

Agreed. He was more of a family man than your typical head coach. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, in fact, I would say that is a more important character trait than having that "drive to be a head coach."

Just to pile on the "credibility watch" thing. Calling out Manning at this point in the rebuilding process is beyond ridiculous. I think we can all agree that Bz was a disaster. It will take recruiting to fix this and several classes at that unless Manning manages to hit an unprecedented home run in 2016.

This is true. There will not be a quick and enduring fix for WF.

BTW, I was thinking of Battle as an interim not the permanent replacement for Skip. I think it would have worked best to have Battle assume head coaching responsibilities until a formal, careful search could be completed.

Last edited:
No argument. Battle was a good man.

I just don't believe the difference in a Dino run program and a Battle run program would have been significant.

Back