• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

With JC leaving we knew it would be a transition year (W & L's).

The issue is how we are losing these games. (Don't get me started on who we are losing to)

A transition year where we should win 15-17 games and appear to get the most out of our talent. That isn’t happening. We are looking at 10-12 wins.

Glass is half-full perspective: With 6 of our next 8 games against Top 25 ranked teams, maybe we can get a couple of those "big wins" everyone around here seems to be pining for (myself included).

A transition year where we should win 15-17 games and appear to get the most out of our talent. That isn’t happening. We are looking at 10-12 wins.

True. Manning is underperforming the talent. It seems that having the most productive offensive player in the nation last year hid a lot of warts. Too bad Manning went with matador defense in order to protect him. It's hard to teach what you don't know.

Glass is half-full perspective: With 6 of our next 8 games against Top 25 ranked teams, maybe we can get a couple of those "big wins" everyone around here seems to be pining for (myself included).

Nothing like a 2-6 stretch to turn pessimism to optimism. Never lose faith.

Really hate it for Stan having to do DM's radio show and dance around the elephant in the room that DM continues to flounder as a coach in YEAR 4.

Sure, it hurt losing JC and Dinos, but we all knew that coming in and adjusted our expectations from what could have been a great season. But a 10-12 win season?? No way were my expectations that low.

Last night Stan complemented DM on being a "good coach" as the reason for the early pro departures. Hope Stan knows better than we do.

Danny is building a program. He has been at WF now for four years. Wake was such a dumpster fire when he got there that these conversations should not even be taking place until year 7 or 8. If anything Manning should be extended so recruits know he is here for the long haul. He is building something that will last.

Danny is building a program. He has been at WF now for four years. Wake was such a dumpster fire when he got there that these conversations should not even be taking place until year 7 or 8. If anything Manning should be extended so recruits know he is here for the long haul. He is building something that will last.

He has been extended, Dumas!

No, the 7-8 year plan was Jim Caldwell. DM is recruiting well but he can’t coach a lick.

Manning got WF in the tourney last year. Let him do his job.

True that. Wake is following the NC State 30 year plan to a return of relevance.

1) 4 or so years of a complete loser
2) 10 years or so of mediocre coach as program becomes irrelevant (Thankfully Wake is skipping this step)
3) In desperation hire an NBA guy that can recruit but has no idea what to with the players (current step for Wake)
4) Still desperate so hires shady coach with a name (hopefully Wake will skip this step but I hear Pitino is available)
5) Hire up and coming mid major coach that looks like is an actual talented head coach.
6) Profit

If Wake continues to skip steps, we are only about 6-7 years away from promise.

I think he gets 2 more years whether the fan base likes it or not. After the 2019-2020 season if Wake is still not a tournament team, then he's gone.

If he makes the post season next year and gets at least to the second round the next, then Wellman will look at that as progress and that will probably buy DM 4 more years.

I think he gets 2 more years whether the fan base likes it or not. After the 2019-2020 season if Wake is still not a tournament team, then he's gone.

If he makes the post season next year and gets at least to the second round the next, then Wellman will look at that as progress and that will probably buy DM 4 more years.

I tend to agree with this. Next year (2018-19) would have to be a complete disaster for him to get fired. More likely he'd get a chance at 2019-20 before being shown the door.

I still have hope, though. He'll have a stable of "his" players next year... Maybe we'll see some defense and more success (wins).

I think starting next season we should be a tournament team every year because I believe Danny will keep up the recruiting he has shown the last two classes and move forward with that - so this question is hypothetical (just want to see how the fan base feels):

What happens if Danny and the team make the tournament next year, make it to second round or sweet sixteen, then Hoard leaves, Bryant graduates (if he isnt gone already), Sarr is good enough to make the jump to the league, etc. and that results in not making the tournament the following year? How will the fan base feel about Danny then?

Disclaimers: 1. this is a hypothetical, so don't take me saying "sweet sixteen" as me saying I believe we will make the sweet sixteen. 2. Hoard is ranked 25-30 in the class of 2018, so there's a very, very good likelihood we return both he and Sarr and only lose Crawford after next year. Again, it's just a part of the hypothetical.

Every one would look at this as progress and no one would be disappointed if he got another extension after that. Most frustrated fans, however, think it is highly unlikely he accomplishes any of this.

I think starting next season we should be a tournament team every year because I believe Danny will keep up the recruiting he has shown the last two classes and move forward with that - so this question is hypothetical (just want to see how the fan base feels):

What happens if Danny and the team make the tournament next year, make it to second round or sweet sixteen, then Hoard leaves, Bryant graduates (if he isnt gone already), Sarr is good enough to make the jump to the league, etc. and that results in not making the tournament the following year? How will the fan base feel about Danny then?

Disclaimers: 1. this is a hypothetical, so don't take me saying "sweet sixteen" as me saying I believe we will make the sweet sixteen. 2. Hoard is ranked 25-30 in the class of 2018, so there's a very, very good likelihood we return both he and Sarr and only lose Crawford after next year. Again, it's just a part of the hypothetical.

In your scenario, I think fans would be disappointed in "underachieving" with that group and really upset that it was only one year of "success." So we'd kind of be back to where we are right now... Only with a slightly higher high in the rear view. I think my personal opinion would be based on how successful he'd been in recruiting for 2019 and 2020.

But you probably aren't asking me since we seem to feel similarly about this topic.

Back