• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

In your scenario, I think fans would be disappointed in "underachieving" with that group and really upset that it was only one year of "success." So we'd kind of be back to where we are right now... Only with a slightly higher high in the rear view. I think my personal opinion would be based on how successful he'd been in recruiting for 2019 and 2020.

But you probably aren't asking me since we seem to feel similarly about this topic.

I'm open to hearing from anyone. I think Hoard and Sarr will be back in 2019 so hopefully it's an irrelevant question.

Also, just watch Mucius videos for the first time in a while. While I knew he was obviously extremely talented, he seems a lot better than I remembered. His shot looks smoother and he's a crazy athlete. Hopefully he and Hoard can get some good time on the court together next year.

I don't know why Mucius is rated so low compared to how he looks in the mixtapes. I'm guessing it's a shaky shot or something.

My fear is these guys come in next year and just don't improve.

I don't know why Mucius is rated so low compared to how he looks in the mixtapes. I'm guessing it's a shaky shot or something.

My fear is these guys come in next year and just don't improve.

What do you mean by this?

In your scenario, I think fans would be disappointed in "underachieving" with that group and really upset that it was only one year of "success." So we'd kind of be back to where we are right now... Only with a slightly higher high in the rear view. I think my personal opinion would be based on how successful he'd been in recruiting for 2019 and 2020.

But you probably aren't asking me since we seem to feel similarly about this topic.

This is the key to satisfaction and patience in the hypothetical as laid out. Manning is not a great coach, but if he can bring in a JC or a Jaylen Hoard in every recruiting class, we could get by.

That they don't get significantly better as players once they arrive.

I was more of asking what aspects of their game you're worried about, should've been more specific.

All of them seem to have really high ceilings. Mucius, imparticular, has been talked about by recruiting analysts as having a ridiculously high ceiling and not being very close to it.

We’ll probably win 2 of those games. See, I’m an optimist. Like Wrangor, who has us in 2 of the next 4 Sweet 16s!

I merely put us in the tournament, not in the sweet sixteen. If we made the sweet sixteen once in the next four years I would do backflips.

Just watched Montverde play. Send Manning down to get lessons. Some of the best sets and defense I have seen. Great ball movement and great team ball. We would have a much better record if we played as well as these kids

This season is not on Manning this season is on Dinos for backstabbing our program. If our staff knew he was thinking about leaving to go pro before he already signed the contract two weeks prior to practice starting we could have addressed our front court situation properly.

I think starting next season we should be a tournament team every year because I believe Danny will keep up the recruiting he has shown the last two classes and move forward with that - so this question is hypothetical (just want to see how the fan base feels):

What happens if Danny and the team make the tournament next year, make it to second round or sweet sixteen, then Hoard leaves, Bryant graduates (if he isnt gone already), Sarr is good enough to make the jump to the league, etc. and that results in not making the tournament the following year? How will the fan base feel about Danny then?

Disclaimers: 1. this is a hypothetical, so don't take me saying "sweet sixteen" as me saying I believe we will make the sweet sixteen. 2. Hoard is ranked 25-30 in the class of 2018, so there's a very, very good likelihood we return both he and Sarr and only lose Crawford after next year. Again, it's just a part of the hypothetical.

I have seen nothing to indicate this kind of success is achievable by Manning. If, however, Wake makes the sweet 16 and then falls back, that will be very good success in my eyes. It would show more than anything I have seen yet.

This season is not on Manning this season is on Dinos for backstabbing our program. If our staff knew he was thinking about leaving to go pro before he already signed the contract two weeks prior to practice starting we could have addressed our front court situation properly.

Yeah I mean CharlotteDeac1 blames our Drake loss on this. How could we have been expected to beat mighty Drake without Dinos

We'd have 4 more wins with Dinos on the roster and it would be a completely different season. Dinos could rebound, shoot, was crafty around the hoop later in the season, and was a leader.

A Series Of Unfortunate Events: The Wake Forest Basketball Story

Yeah I mean CharlotteDeac1 blames our Drake loss on this. How could we have been expected to beat mighty Drake without Dinos

I actually didn’t mention the drake loss in depth because I didn’t watch it. I talked specifically about GS and Liberty

We'd have 4 more wins with Dinos on the roster and it would be a completely different season. Dinos could rebound, shoot, was crafty around the hoop later in the season, and was a leader.

A Series Of Unfortunate Events: The Wake Forest Basketball Story

Don't forget the negatives as well. Dinos was extremely slow and a poor defender. He would have taken minutes from a better defender. He also had some serious shooting slumps. I would rather have him than not but he was not all that.

Don't forget the negatives as well. Dinos was extremely slow and a poor defender. He would have taken minutes from a better defender. He also had some serious shooting slumps. I would rather have him than not but he was not all that.

Dinos improved his defense as his career went on. He's no worse of a defender than Thompson. There's no one on our team who would take minutes from Dinos. Doral and Dinos in the post would have been more than adequate front court for us this season. Dinos was also a sneaky good passer.

Go back and watch Dinos every possession the Kansas St game. He was AWFUL. We don't miss him that much. Sarr has way more talent than him, DM just won't play him enough.

Dinos improved his defense as his career went on. He's no worse of a defender than Thompson. There's no one on our team who would take minutes from Dinos.

He was okay defending in the paint against other bigs, but he had no shot blocking ability and could not step out and guard a wing at all. He was only truly valuable if he was on one of his multiple 3-point shooting games.

It's not like it was an uncommon prediction that with Dinos gone, Sarr or Thompson would have to be legit for us to be remotely decent.

Sarr got hurt to start the season and Thompson is awful. Just a massive hole at the 4 spot with zero ACC-ready talent anywhere on the roster. We tried going small since our guards are at least ACC level, but got destroyed on the boards.

Sarr is showing signs, but Moore is one-dimensional and foul-prone. Defenses can take him away by moving him off the block which is not overly difficult for teams with a true big. Throw in Chaundee underachieving and now an injury to our leading scorer and you've got a dumpster-fire season in the making.

Whether a truly great coach could win given these circumstances is an interesting question, but I tend to doubt it. And Manning isn't a great coach by any stretch.

Back